Anyone go on leave from work after surgery?

I am trying to get on a short term leave of absence after my surgery, my work allows me up to 90 days leave if I get the consent of a doctor. From your experience had anyone else gone on leave from work after surgery.. and/or would Dr. Ortiz condone approving such a leave.

I understand that I may only need a few days to recoup, however I want to come home and really get into the swing of things, regarding eating and excersize. I have a very strenuous and active job and would hate to have to go back to work right after surgery. Especially while I was on the all liquid diet phase..

Just trying to get some feedback.

Thanks!

Vanessa

You are going to be amazed at how good you feel right after surgery..I myself did not even take pain meds other then tylenol after surgery and the next day after surgery I was walking all over downtown TJ shopping. The key is to get up and walk the halls after surgery, get the gas moving..it helps alot to walk as much as possible right after surgery, the gas pains are more painful then the incision pain. Good Luck :)

Though I walked a lot I still had horrible gas pains for weeks and I say definitely take a few days off - I have a very sedentary, "easy' job and I felt very tired after only a few hours though I got stronger every day. I never took any pain medication (just gasx :) but my incisions were a bit sore, moving around (putting on a seat belt, bending over) took some getting used to and I got tired very easily - remember you will be on liquid diet so not getting tons of nutrients.

Everyone is different but you are having major surgery so if your job is tough take at least a few days off and talk to Dr. ortiz as he will advise you properly. Just my 2cents.

I agree with Mary S. She and I both had ours done the same day and it was on a Friday. I had my doc fill out FMLA- Family Leave papers for 7 days. That protects you as they can't add it into absenteeism figures. I work for a huge hospital and the HR department says always get FMLA papers signed if you think you will be out a week. Also your family PCP should fill those out for you. Mine did that for me.

Good Luck ! I would not think you would need more than a week off or maybe 2 at the max.

• 1 month later...

I arranged three weeks off - one week for hospital (which was really four days), and then 2 weeks at home.

I knew I'd feel fine after a few days, and as I have an office job I could go back, but I felt I needed the two weeks to get used to my new life, my new eating regimen and I'd like to be sure i can stomach solids before i return to work.

If I PB at home it'll suck, but at least I have the comfort of my own bathroom. At work it would not only be painful but incredibly embarassing, especially since I've not told a sole at work what I'm doing. As far as they're concerned I'm having an operation to do with my sleep aponea (which is technically correct), so sudden 'vomiting' and constant belching through the office would seem very out of place and completely unprofessional.

If you are allowed 90 days paid leave, I would ask Dr. Ortiz to write a script or letter for a month. Why not just take it easy? I would have done it in a heartbeat if I could have had that option but I could only afford a week of sick. I really would have like to really take more though. I say if it is there, TAKE IT. What can it hurt? Dr. Ortiz is VERY accomodating and I don't think he will have any problems at all with you requesting a letter asking for days off.

I think because of your job, ( I don't know what you do but I will compare it to mine) I am a police officer and Dr. Ortiz took me off work for a minimum of 4 weeks from active duty. He let me teach though that Monday after the surgery. I took the 4 weeks off from active duty but I did teach from a desk for that time. I wish I would have heeded the "minimum of 4 weeks" to include a couple more weeks. Carrying a heavy duty belt again was exhausting!!!

Just wanted to give you my thoughts. After surgery, I rested the next day at the hospital. The following day, we met friends, I walked more that day than I had in months.... I felt great and never once had any pain. I believe I am one of the fortunate ones - I could of done anything after the surgery.... I had no pain and had no need for the pain pills. I never took a day off of work nor did I need to. I had no complications and absolutely no pain. Dr. Ortiz has changed my life. I am so glad I made this decision! I hope this helps.