How has it changed your life?

I am seriously considering having the surgery. I really want to know how life is different. I keep reading that it will never be the same. Is it really difficult to change? What is most difficult about your new life? What is most challenging? What has changed the most?

I am terrified, not of the surgery, but the lifestyle change and how hard it will be. Is it the worst month of your life to recover from the surgery? Do you want to eat all the time? Do you feel sick from not eating? Headaches? How hard is it to give up diet soda? Do you have to give up diet soda forever?

I know this sounds so trivial, but I want to be prepared for what i am committing myself to.

I would appreciate any guidance!!!

Also, are there any long-term success stories? 10-15 years? Where can I find them.

Lastly, did you trust the anesthesiologist in Mexico?

Thank you!!!

Lisa

Is it really difficult to change? For me, it was difficult the first two months. I am not going to lie or romance it that it wasn't a culture shock. But... it is kind of like child labor in that once it is done, you really forget how hard it was and then it becomes a way of life.

What is most difficult about your new life? Learning the new way to eat. Not having dinners out as a big social occasion. Learning portion sizes and ordering or taking the correct amount of food and not throwing 1/2 of it away.

What is most challenging? The most challenging was being fat. Once I started losing the weight I started feeling better. When I began to see the results after the first fill, it motivated me. Otherwise, the most challenging is getting in all the water that is required. You have to sip sip sip it A LOT to get it all in daily.

What has changed the most? Going out to dinner is no longer my form of entertainment. I find other ways now and learning those new things to do was hard. My life revolved around food it seems. I drink a lot of water now too. Plus, I have to take a chewable multivitamin to make sure I get the required nutrients as well as protein powder drinks to get the right protein.

Is it the worst month of your life to recover from the surgery? If you are referring to pain, I had minimal pain. Not more than a bit of cramping here and there, nothing to shout about and I am a big ole baby too. If you are referring to the post op diet, yes it is hard and it sucks going through it.

Do you want to eat all the time? During the first 3 weeks you will battle the mental hunger a lot. You think you are hungry and should eat because you ate that much before. During weeks 4-6 you battle more of the hunger because you are not filled but are still on the post op diet plan. It is tough because you can eat as much as before, and you are hungry a lot, and you can't. Once you get your fill... life changes in that it actually becomes easier to battle the mental demon. Sure you have to still struggle with what works and what doesn't but the hunger itself is gone. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I need to eat something because I am simply not hungry.

Do you feel sick from not eating? I had some hunger pains and cramping during week 4-6. After that, nothing.

Headaches? I attributed my mild headaches the first few weeks to the lack of nicotine and caffeine I wasn't getting anymore. That went away once I started smoking again (bad girl) and the caffeine headaches subsided on their own.

How hard is it to give up diet soda? I was a HUGE soda drinker. I gave it up and have never had anything carbonated pass my lips again. At first you miss it a little but I don't even ever think of it anymore. Substitute with Tea, Crystal Light, water, juice, etc. It really is terrible for you to drink sodas and you won't miss it much after a few months.

Do you have to give up diet soda forever? No carbonation ever again. This includes anything bubbly (champagne, soda, beer, etc)

Also, are there any long-term success stories? The longest term banded person I know is 5 years. Banding in the states has only been happening for the past 2 years. Mexico about 10 I think.

Where can I find them. Try the medical journals on a site like ebsco host.

A fantastic site for a lot of information is www.lapbandtalk.com you can search different questions and read the responses. There is a ton of different questions that have a lot of us bandsters on it. They have a mix of everything including other countries and the US.

Is it really difficult to change?  For me, it was difficult the first two months.  I am not going to lie or romance it that it wasn't a culture shock.  But... it is kind of like child labor in that once it is done, you really forget how hard it was and then it becomes a way of life. 

What is most difficult about your new life?  Learning the new way to eat.  Not having dinners out as a big social occasion.  Learning portion sizes and ordering or taking the correct amount of food and not throwing 1/2 of it away.

What is most challenging?  The most challenging was being fat.  Once I started losing the weight I started feeling better.  When I began to see the results after the first fill, it motivated me.  Otherwise, the most challenging is getting in all the water that is required.  You have to sip sip sip it A LOT to get it all in daily. 

What has changed the most?  Going out to dinner is no longer my form of entertainment.  I find other ways now and learning those new things to do was hard.  My life revolved around food it seems.  I drink a lot of water now too.  Plus, I have to take a chewable multivitamin to make sure I get the required nutrients as well as protein powder drinks to get the right protein.

Is it the worst month of your life to recover from the surgery?  If you are referring to pain, I had minimal pain.  Not more than a bit of cramping here and there, nothing to shout about and I am a big ole baby too.  If you are referring to the post op diet, yes it is hard and it sucks going through it.

Do you want to eat all the time?  During the first 3 weeks you will battle the mental hunger a lot.  You think you are hungry and should eat because you ate that much before.  During weeks 4-6 you battle more of the hunger because you are not filled but are still on the post op diet plan.  It is tough because you can eat as much as before, and you are hungry a lot, and you can't. Once you get your fill... life changes in that it actually becomes easier to battle the mental demon.  Sure you have to still struggle with what works and what doesn't but the hunger itself is gone.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that I need to eat something because I am simply not hungry.

Do you feel sick from not eating?  I had some hunger pains and cramping during week 4-6. After that, nothing.

Headaches?  I attributed my mild headaches the first few weeks to the lack of nicotine and caffeine I wasn't getting anymore.  That went away once I started smoking again (bad girl) and the caffeine headaches subsided on their own.

How hard is it to give up diet soda? I was a HUGE soda drinker.  I gave it up and have never had anything carbonated pass my lips again.  At first you miss it a little but I don't even ever think of it anymore.  Substitute with Tea, Crystal Light, water, juice, etc.  It really is terrible for you to drink sodas and you won't miss it much after a few months.

Do you have to give up diet soda forever? No carbonation ever again.  This includes anything bubbly (champagne, soda, beer, etc)

Also, are there any long-term success stories?  The longest term banded person I know is 5 years.  Banding in the states has only been happening for the past 2 years.  Mexico about 10 I think. 

Where can I find them.  Try the medical journals on a site like ebsco host.

A fantastic site for a lot of information is www.lapbandtalk.com  you can search different questions and read the responses.  There is a ton of different questions that have a lot of us bandsters on it.  They have a mix of everything including other countries and the US.

1911[/snapback]

Thank you for the info!!!

I really want to do this, but am unsure if I can handle work and family responisibilities while going through the first 6 weeks. I am a teacher and my job is pretty demanding. I also have a large family. So, I appreciate all of your encouragement, resources and frankness.

Lisa

I was teaching also during the surgery date. I had the surgery on Wed and was back to work on Monday. Although a lot slower and taught a lot from the desk. Did a major writing assignment using a longgg video. Was teaching 8th grade science. I suggest bringing in a tall back chair to sit down in if you have younger grades. Or... take more time off. By the end of that next week, I was good to go. Another friend of mine who is a teacher was also banded by Ortiz. She did it over the summer break.

I was teaching also during the surgery date.  I had the surgery on Wed and was back to work on Monday.  Although a lot slower and taught a lot from the desk.  Did a major writing assignment using a longgg video.  Was teaching 8th grade science.  I suggest bringing in a tall back chair to sit down in if you have younger grades.  Or... take more time off.  By the end of that next week, I was good to go.  Another friend of mine who is a teacher was also banded by Ortiz.  She did it over the summer break.

1915[/snapback]

i want to do it over spring break, if dr ortiz is available then. i maily stand when i teach. is standing hard?

It isn't that standing is hard, but you are a bit sore and get tired quickly. Your port area is what is sore. And it is normal, but standing all the time will definitely drain you. I would say plan for a minimum of 7 days from your surgery date.

I also messaged you with your questions you sent me.

:)

Jenna

i want to do it over spring break, if dr ortiz is available then.  i maily stand when i teach.  is standing hard?

1919[/snapback]

I am a Special Ed teacher of students with emotional problems at a year round school. I had my banding while I was off track so I didn't need to take any time off.

My surgery went very well and I felt comfortable with the anesthesiologist and all the medical staff in Tijuana. It was on a Tuesday and I think I would have been okay to return to school the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

It was similar to having my gall bladder removed. They found a hernia and repaired it, but I didn't really feel where it was located.

This is the THIRD best thing I've ever done for myself.

FIRST marrying right guy

SECOND having daughter who has beautiful grandson

I think the most difficult part has been changing the social aspects of food. Like Jenna I had lunches, dinners, desserts with which to meet friends. Now I go on walks, or go shopping.

I avoid certain restaurants, and Mrs See's Candies. She and I had an affair where we met late at night. We do go out sometimes but now we split a meal or I get an appetizer. We ate at Outback and spent $28.00 for lobster & filet. I had lunch the next day as well. Before it would have been at least $60.00 and I would have been sick.

I am not perfect. I eat chocolate. I have my daily Diet Dr Pepper but I wait until it is totally flat. I love losing weight. I feel sexier (husband says he would like more proof), younger, and lighter inside and out. I'm not shopping in Whale World or the FLD (fat lady department). I TUCK in my shirts.

Go for it honey! I haven't regreted it once

207/161/125 5' 2" Banded 11/7/05

I am a Special Ed teacher of students with emotional problems at a year round school. I had my banding while I was off track so I didn't need to take any time off.

My surgery went very well and I felt comfortable with the anesthesiologist and all the medical staff in Tijuana. It was on a Tuesday and I think I would have been okay to return to school the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

It was similar to having my gall bladder removed. They found a hernia and repaired it, but I didn't really feel where it was located.

This is the THIRD best thing I've ever done for myself.

FIRST marrying right guy

SECOND  having daughter who has beautiful grandson

I think the most difficult part has been changing the social aspects of food. Like Jenna I had lunches, dinners, desserts with which to meet friends. Now I go on walks, or go shopping.

I avoid certain restaurants, and Mrs See's Candies. She and I had an affair where we met late at night.  We do go out sometimes but now we split a meal or I get an appetizer. We ate at Outback and spent $28.00 for lobster & filet. I had lunch the next day as well. Before it would have been at least $60.00 and I would have been sick.

I am not perfect. I eat chocolate. I have my daily Diet Dr Pepper but I wait until it is totally flat. I love losing weight. I feel sexier (husband says he would like more proof), younger, and lighter inside and out. I'm not shopping in Whale World or the FLD (fat lady department). I TUCK in my shirts.

Go for it honey! I haven't regreted it once

207/161/125  5' 2"  Banded 11/7/05

1934[/snapback]

Great response, thank you!!! I love the analogy of an "affair". It is so true. I am still a little worried about Mexico, complications, aftercare.

Great response, thank you!!!  I love the analogy of an "affair".  It is so true.  I am still a little worried about Mexico, complications, aftercare.

1935[/snapback]

Hi Lisa,

Don't know where you live but to bad you didn't come to the Seattle Bash this weekend. There were several hundred (my guess) people there. A few of us were pre-band but the majority were banded and most of them seem to have been banded in Mexico. There were three Dr.s from Mexico there. After the panel discussion I choose Dr. Ortiz. The other two Dr.s seemed great but one is a bit further away (not in TJ). The other seemed great also but I thought Dr. Ortiz was best for me. Before the bash I even considered going to India.

Aftercare was an issue for me also. However, if you look hard you will probably find one fairly close. There happens to be one in the Seattle area that was at the bash that seemed excellent. However, when you look at the cost it's probably almost the same to fly to TJ. I will absolutely get my first fill there and maybe any others also. There is also a company just starting up call Fill Centers (or something like it) they will be doing fills for anyone.

I know this is going to be the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. I'm scheduled for late April and I am very excited.

Good luck in your decision process.

Hey!

I would have loved to come to the bash, but I had family visiting. I am actually from Seattle, but live in California. I'm glad to hear that you chose Dr. Ortiz. I scheduled with him for April also!

Good luck! (We can share stories)

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

HI. I was banded three weeks ago and I'm having totally different experie4nces to almost everyone else.

After the inital week of liquids, yoghurts, soups and custards I was already onto solids - slowly.

But becuase the band hasn't been filled yet i find I can eat almost as much as I used to, which is really frustrating. I'm not getting that "full for 5 hours" feeling that I've read so much about.

To be honest, I've had very little change to my life, I obviously eat less becuase it hurts too much to try to eat as fast as I used to, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty similar to how I used to.

Perhaps I'll feel diffferently after my first fill.

• 2 weeks later...

HI. I was banded three weeks ago and I'm having totally different experie4nces to almost everyone else.

After the inital week of liquids, yoghurts, soups and custards I was already onto solids - slowly.

But becuase the band hasn't been filled yet i find I can eat almost as much as I used to, which is really frustrating. I'm not getting that "full for 5 hours" feeling that I've read so much about.

To be honest, I've had very little change to my life, I obviously eat less becuase it hurts too much to try to eat as fast as I used to, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty similar to how I used to.

Perhaps I'll feel diffferently after my first fill.

It is because you started on solid food too fast. The longer you stay on liquids and mushies (I've heard), the better your band works and the less complications you have. According to my paperwork, you're not supposed to start on solids until the 3rd week out.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone, I have a question since you are talking about post-op diets - next week I begin my 3rd week post-op and can start with the soft/mushy foods, am I supposed to not drink anything for an hour before and 1 hr. after I am done eating with these kind of foods, or is that only w/ solid foods? I have started doing full liquids and was wondering about the same question for like the creamier soups, any help is greatly appreciated.

Kellie