Swallowing Pills/Medication

I am scheduled to be banded on 4/14 and I am wondering if I will ever be able to take pills ever again? I have looked on the many discussion websites and have never seen this addressed. Take for instance antibiotics, birth control, or another prescription medication. Can anyone address this?

I am scheduled to be banded on 4/14 and I am wondering if I will ever be able to take pills ever again? I have looked on the many discussion websites and have never seen this addressed. Take for instance antibiotics, birth control, or another prescription medication. Can anyone address this?

Pills same or smaller than a pencil eraser can be swallowed. Warm liquids help it go down easier. Larger pills can be crushed (I mix the crushed in applesauce and it is fine). Pills that are time release can't be taken. Gel cap pills can be broken and swallowed but its yucky. For Tylenol issues, most of us use the adult strength liquid available at most common drug stores. As far as NSAIDS, there is debate about the issue. Some doctors say that NSAIDS create or promote erosion and to never ever take them. Some say it doesn't make a difference. NSAIDS are the steroidal medications (like Aleve, Ibuprofen, anti inflamatories, etc). If you need this, check with your doctor and he can give you an injectable. I stay away from all of the NSAIDS. I take the shot if I need it. No use taking the chance with a $10k investment.

Pills same or smaller than a pencil eraser can be swallowed. Warm liquids help it go down easier. Larger pills can be crushed (I mix the crushed in applesauce and it is fine). Pills that are time release can't be taken. Gel cap pills can be broken and swallowed but its yucky. For Tylenol issues, most of us use the adult strength liquid available at most common drug stores. As far as NSAIDS, there is debate about the issue. Some doctors say that NSAIDS create or promote erosion and to never ever take them. Some say it doesn't make a difference. NSAIDS are the steroidal medications (like Aleve, Ibuprofen, anti inflamatories, etc). If you need this, check with your doctor and he can give you an injectable. I stay away from all of the NSAIDS. I take the shot if I need it. No use taking the chance with a $10k investment.

So what do you do about antibotics? Those are in capsules usually? They can usually be opened but that seems a bit odd.

So what do you do about antibotics? Those are in capsules usually? They can usually be opened but that seems a bit odd.

If they are small enough, you can swallow them. Otherwise you open them and put them in some applesauce (or the like). But most antibiotics are in horse pill form (solid) and will be crushed or broken in pieces to take. Or you can get the injection of antibiotics. Make SURE you get your flu shot every year. This is VERY important as you really don't want to wretch through the stomach flu. It is horrid.

Just a quick note...NSAIDS are actually Non Steriodal Anti Inflammatory Drugs. The "N" stands for "Non".

-Julia ;)