Do I qualify for lap band?

Hello. I am just now considering lap band surgery. I'm 39 years old, my height is 5 ft 5 inches and I weigh 186. I try to be as active as I can with a 4-year-old daughter and 1-year-old boy/girl twins. I just can't get this weight off of me that has been on me for about 6-7 years. I play tennis every Thursday and I'm killing my joints from all this weight. I have twisted my ankle a few times too and I know it is because of the extra weight. I think my BMI is around 31 but I sure feel like it's about 40! Would I qualify for this surgery?

Thanks, Jodi

Depends on what you mean by "qualify," and where. Will your insurance pay for it? Probably not. Will US doctors do it? Possibly not; most of them say you need to have a BMI of 35 or higher. However, that doesn't mean you can't find a surgeon to do it, or that you shouldn't have it done. Read the past posts on this website, and you will see that the lap band is not the answer for everyone, but it can be a great help in losing weight. Unfortunately, you will probably also notice that the people who have lower BMI's don't have the startling success at weight loss that the higher BMI's do.

The band will help you eat smaller portions, and very often help curb your appetite. However, if you are a nibbler and snacker rather than a consumer of large meals, the band will be less effective. Also, if you are not committed to following the "rules" of lap band life, the band will be less effective, and you will be miserable with it. And if you are not willing to continue working with fills until you hit the right restriction level, the band will have a much smaller impact on your excess weight.

In other words, do your homework and honestly examine yourself to see if this is the tool for you.

I went to a Lap Band website before I had my surgery and it had a BMI test. After you filled in height and weight it would say yes, you are an excellent canadate for surgery. Mine said that until I hit 175. Then it said no. I80 it still said excellent canadate and I am 5 5 also. I think if you try to get your insurance pay for it probably not. If you pay cash you can probably get it done in the us or Mexico. The best way to find out for sure is call a doctors office that does lap bands and ask.

Susie, I'll have to look for a BMI calculator on a lap band website. Where did you have your surgery performed? I'm assuming you paid out of pocket? There is no way I can afford it so insurance would have to cover it.

Jodi

I went to a Lap Band website before I had my surgery and it had a BMI test. After you filled in height and weight it would say yes, you are an excellent canadate for surgery. Mine said that until I hit 175. Then it said no. I80 it still said excellent canadate and I am 5 5 also. I think if you try to get your insurance pay for it probably not. If you pay cash you can probably get it done in the us or Mexico. The best way to find out for sure is call a doctors office that does lap bands and ask.

Go to the home page of this site (obesitycontrolcenter.com) by clicking on the words "Obesity Control Center" at the top left of this page. Then mouse over "lap band procedure" and select BMI calculator.

Many of us on this site had our surgery done at the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, mexico. Cost is $8500 for the surgery, transportation to and from the San Diego airport, and hotel room for three days for the patient and family. In the 18 months I have been looking at this forum, I have only seen one person who was not impressed with this clinic and Dr Ortiz.

Hi Jodi

I had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz in March of this year. I was 185 the day of the surgery. Today I weigh 134. It was absolutely the best thing I have ever done for myself. Well worth the 8500. Dr Ortiz and his staff are great! Give one of the patient care coordinator's a call. Carolyn of Lori will give you all the information you need. I didn't tell anyone other than my husband that I was going to Mexico to have my surgery because of all the looks you get when you say "surgery in Mexico". I have recommended Dr. Ortiz to a few other people who got quoted 30,000 to have it done here in the states. If you decide to get the band with Dr. Ortiz you won't be sorry. Just be prpared thaat the way you eat will change drastically. You will have ups and downs, but it is very much worth it in the end.

The $8500 includes the surgery, transportation to and from San Diego airport and a hotel room for three days???? wow...that's not too shabby. Thanks for the info.

Jodi

Go to the home page of this site (obesitycontrolcenter.com) by clicking on the words "Obesity Control Center" at the top left of this page. Then mouse over "lap band procedure" and select BMI calculator.

Many of us on this site had our surgery done at the Obesity Control Center in Tijuana, mexico. Cost is $8500 for the surgery, transportation to and from the San Diego airport, and hotel room for three days for the patient and family. In the 18 months I have been looking at this forum, I have only seen one person who was not impressed with this clinic and Dr Ortiz.

Yup, and Dr Ortiz is the best. He has trained many US surgeons in the lap band procedure, including the one I was thinking of going to in Washington state, who would have charged me $19,000. To clarify what the cost includes, you would pay for your flight to San Diego and home again; the clinic picks you up at the airport and gets you to the clinic and the hotel in Tijuana, then gets you back to the airport when you are done. It also includes the cost of fills, but you have to pay $100 per fill for the flouroscopy.