Surgery on Nov 14th - totally freaked

I am scheduled for surgery on Nov 14. I am so nauseated from the liquid diet and have such indigestion. I am also so nervous that I do not know what to do with myself. Any suggestions or words ro calm me down??

Hang in there! This is the start of a whole new chapter in your life. Tomorrow is the big day! I can't wait for my date in 3 weeks. Gonna hate the liquids, but will be too scared to mess up. You can do it........Good luck tomorrow.

Donna

I am five weeks past my surgery. It was a breeze and I felt fine the next day, although I tired easily for a few days. You will have a bit of pain at the incision site when you twist or lie on your left side for the first week or so after surgery. Your tummy will be tender, but certainly not unbearable. Right now my port incision is completely healed and looks very small, a little line about an inch long on my stomach. If you are going to OCC, relax and enjoy a mini vacation. The people at the clinic are friendly, kind and competent, and they take care of everything for you. The hotel is very nice.

As I haven't had a fill yet, I feel just about the same as I did pre-surgery. I don't eat as much at meals, but unfortunately have begun snacking again. I am scheduled for my first fill November 29 and will be heading back to Tijuana.

I am scheduled for surgery on Nov 14. I am so nauseated from the liquid diet and have such indigestion. I am also so nervous that I do not know what to do with myself. Any suggestions or words ro calm me down??

Try eating a Lean Cuisine, taking Gas X strips and breathing deep then blowing it all out. That is what helped me. I have read that Metimucil will help with the hunger. You will be fine.... I was very nervous also. That is normal with anything like this. Good Luck =D>

Hang in there! This is the start of a whole new chapter in your life. Tomorrow is the big day! I can't wait for my date in 3 weeks. Gonna hate the liquids, but will be too scared to mess up. You can do it........Good luck tomorrow.

Donna

Thank you so very much for your kind words. I am really terrified which is ironic. My mom was banded on 8/29 and has been told by the surgeon that she is the poster child for the procedure! She has lost 35 lbs. and that was before any fills. I am using the same Dr. and trust him and his staff. I donated a kidney to my brother in '02 and he was my surgeon then so I know I am in fabulous hands. That said, I was much less nervous about the kidney than I am now. Now I just want to throw up and then curl up in a ball and sleep until it is over!

Best wishes to you - I will let you know how it all goes!!

Thanks

What bothered me the most about the idea of getting the band was giving up foods that I love. I love to eat, and that's why I got myself into this state. However, I am discovering that rather than giving up the foods I love, I can still have them because the band let's me eat in moderation. I don't have to worry so much that if I eat one cookie, I'm going to eat the whole plate. Since I don't have a fill yet, I have to be careful, but that desire to eat all of a good thing rather than some of the good thing is much less. One interesting thing my daughter told me that I couldn't imagine before is that since you have to chew thoroughly, you actually get bored with eating. The degree of pleasure isn't as much, so you quit sooner.

What I'm trying to say is that the surgery is not a big deal and your life doesn't change as drastically as you think it might, except in good ways. Relax, and enjoy the adventure of a new phase in your life.

Try eating a Lean Cuisine, taking Gas X strips and breathing deep then blowing it all out. That is what helped me. I have read that Metimucil will help with the hunger. You will be fine.... I was very nervous also. That is normal with anything like this. Good Luck =D>

Ok, that just made me more scared!! There is little in the world that scares me more than throwing up and as the surgery is tomorrow, no food allowed!!

Thanks though - And good luck to you!!!

I am five weeks past my surgery. It was a breeze and I felt fine the next day, although I tired easily for a few days. You will have a bit of pain at the incision site when you twist or lie on your left side for the first week or so after surgery. Your tummy will be tender, but certainly not unbearable. Right now my port incision is completely healed and looks very small, a little line about an inch long on my stomach. If you are going to OCC, relax and enjoy a mini vacation. The people at the clinic are friendly, kind and competent, and they take care of everything for you. The hotel is very nice.

As I haven't had a fill yet, I feel just about the same as I did pre-surgery. I don't eat as much at meals, but unfortunately have begun snacking again. I am scheduled for my first fill November 29 and will be heading back to Tijuana.

Thank you - I appreciate your support. I feel much better knowing how well you are doing. I have actually been a bit terrified after reading some other comments. Pain, vomiting, aaahhh!!! I am not too sure where OCC is, but I am having my surgery in Manhattan at Mt. Sinai hosp. with Dr. Daniel Herron. He operated on me a few years ago so I know I am in fabulous hands. He also has an amazing staff, so I am truly blessed. My mom was banded 8/29 and is doing beautifully. I know all will be fine, but as it is less than 24 hours away, the memory of the walk down the long cold hallway to the OR and waiting for the anesthesiologist is coming back to me and scaring me witless.

Be careful after your fill. My mother has been using a small fish fork and demitasse spoons so it forces her to take smaller bites and therefore eat slower.

Best to you and thanks for your kind wishes

Thanks. I have tried some Gas-x. The eat and throw up thing...not so much for me, but glad it helped you. Personally, I'd rather chew off my own foot than throw up, so to do anything that would intentionally bring it on is not even on my radar. I am to be at the hosp. tomorrow am at 9 for an 11 surgery. I am only on liquids for now.

Good luck to you too!

Thanks. I have tried some Gas-x. The eat and throw up thing...not so much for me, but glad it helped you. Personally, I'd rather chew off my own foot than throw up, so to do anything that would intentionally bring it on is not even on my radar. I am to be at the hosp. tomorrow am at 9 for an 11 surgery. I am only on liquids for now.

Good luck to you too!

I have not thrown up in 14 years and don't plan on starting now. What I mean by "taking a deep breath and blowing it all out" is a deep breathing exercise for calming and relaxation. Something that does not involve food. You will be fine!!!

I too was so scared I cancelled. I decided I could do this on my own. I wasnt going to spend all that money to lose weight. That lasted about 6 days then I was right back where I started. My husband came to me one night and said I just watched a special on lap band and the effects on diabetics. The group that did not have the lap band had a 92 percent higher death rate. He then said I really wish you would reconsider. I sat and thought about my life. I felt awful, I had no energy, I did not want to live the rest of my life the way I had. I felt I did not have a choice. It was either take this chance for a better life or continue the way I had. I signed up again, had the surgery and it has been the best thing I could of ever done. My regular doctor asked me if I was ready to give up my best friend...food. I said food has become my enemy. It is killing me slowly. I still look forward to meals only now I do not have to worry about overeating. I still plan on eating a lot I just can't. It is so wonderful to have something helping my control. I hope this helps. Good luck to you. Let us all know how you are before and after surgery.

11/19 late evening

Surgery is over and I am happy to be home. As my initial headline states, I was just a bit out my my mind. The surgery went beautifully. I will say that having a Dr. who knows you as a person and not just a chart makes it so much easier emotionally. He was joking around with me in pre-op I was thrilled. We discussed what music we were going to listen to during the surgery and we joked around a bit, he showed off his brand new OR and then I was in PACU. I am happy to report that my pain level was considerably less than anticipated. I was thankfully on IV pain meds overnight, but taken off them in the early in the morning. I did take half of a percoset before I got out of bed to do laps around the floor and go for the the radiology lab, but I took the pill out of fear of pain more than of actual pain. Don't get me wrong, I feel like I lost a boxing match against Muhammed Ali, but it was not the fire red pain I expected, but instead an intense soreness. Phew. I am home for almost 5 days now and doing great. I've had company come visit, but have been staying alone and it has been fine. I did a really good house prep before surgery so everything I need is there. Will update later, but hope that everyone has as good start as I have had.