Banded April 2006

Chelley How are you doing?

I also have been closely following your progress for inspiration(or not). You have not let us know for a while how it's going. Are you losing weight again? I would love to see a post from you that is about you. If you would rather not then I understand that too. just kind of got involved with your journey. Nita

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I laughingly joke that this is becoming my blog! :lol: Thanks for your concern, I actually have been getting over an allergic reaction to a nasty red wasp sting on my big toe .... OUCH! My foot was very swollen with hives all across the top. Was unable to wear a shoe and unable to work and as a result ate everthing not nailed down and as I approach my monthly cycle am up from 204lbs to 210. Argggggg!!! I'm not in the throws of dispair over it this time tho because I know this is just my pattern. I am considering another fill tho in the next few weeks. I have found a radiology group in Paris, TX that does fills for Mexico patients under fluro and that is within 75 miles of my itty bitty home town. They have a good reputation and I think it would be wise to use them in the event I might need an emergency unfill. Tickets are $400 round trip from Dallas to San Deigo and that flight and ride into and out of TJ is exhausting for a 15min procedure.

Do you know what? I'm finding that having the surgery was the easy part of this journey. Dealing with head hunger and trying to hit the "sweet spot" on this fill business is the hard part. I am still very pleased to report my blood sugar levels are great. I did have to take a few doses of insulin since the reaction to the wasp sting shot my sugar over the moon ... but am back off of it now. Doing well today and plan to go back to work this week.

Since I last posted here, I do have to tell you all that I have been feeling so good about myself and my weight loss. I've been buying some new clothes and going out with friends. For the first time in a long time ... gee... I'm turning red just sharing ..... men are starting to look! :P And wow... I don't know quite how to handle that after feeling invisible for sooooo long! Even got asked to dance at a club... Wooohooo! Okay.. enough sharing! My point is .......... I'm living my life and enjoying it. I came across a quote the other day that is my new mantra "Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away". Best wishes to all of you on this crazy, crazy journey!

Hey Chelly,

so sorry to hear about your wasp sting! Glad you are healing well and getting things back on track. I was curious to know how your mom & sister are doing. I think its great to have so much support. I still haven't told many people in my circle of family and friends about my surgery - I really don't want to be "watched" in these first few weeks. But as people notice my weight loss (almost 20 pounds so far) then I tell them. The only real support system I have right now is all of you guys and Sandy & Carolyn from OCC, but you know, that's a LOT :)

Lori - Thanks! As for an update on Mom and Sister - they are doing great. They both have good restriction after the first fill. Sister is down 30lbs and Mom is down 18lbs. I am loosing inches, but no pounds. My starting weight was 227 and Dr. Ortiz opted to put the larger VG band in because I am largest in my middle and had a lot of fatty tissue around my stomach. I'm the classic apple shape, carrying all my weight in my trunk. Since I can eat more than 1/3 of what I could previously, I am going to schedule a fill in the next few weeks. Congratulations on your job with the clinic.... I read your signature line... tell us more!

Chelley,

Thanks for the post! Don't worry about it turning into your blog. The title of this forum is "tell your experience", and judging by the number of views, no one minds! Actually, your original posts were instrumental in my decision to schedule the surgery, so I appreciate the updates.

Sorry to hear about the wasp, but glad to hear you are so positive and seeing results. Hang in there, and keep us posted!

Rid

Chelley;

I just wanted you to know that I too am like RID, I love reading your posts...or BLOG as u put it....WHATEVER YOU CALL IT....WRITE IT HONEY!!! WE LOVE IT!!!! I also love reading your ups and downs...it keeps things "REAL" per say...nobody is going to have the perfect time at this...we all know it...but its funny because as i read your blogs...I can surely relate!!!...The other thing is....you might want to check out this site for flight tickets...I live in florida...and when I had my surgery in TJ...I payed $469.00 for my roundtrip ticket...I just found a new website and am getting ready to schedule my first fill..and the cost from Tampa to San Diego is only $289.19 round trip....i checked from Dallas and it was $313.00...not too bad....play with the dates a little bit...the website is called....www.ultimatefares.com....just a thought....well take care and KEEP POSTING.....Cathy :))

Lori - Thanks! As for an update on Mom and Sister - they are doing great. They both have good restriction after the first fill. Sister is down 30lbs and Mom is down 18lbs. I am loosing inches, but no pounds. My starting weight was 227 and Dr. Ortiz opted to put the larger VG band in because I am largest in my middle and had a lot of fatty tissue around my stomach. I'm the classic apple shape, carrying all my weight in my trunk. Since I can eat more than 1/3 of what I could previously, I am going to schedule a fill in the next few weeks. Congratulations on your job with the clinic.... I read your signature line... tell us more!

Hi Chelley - so glad mom & sis are doing well, too! Are you planning on heading back to TJ for your fill or finding someone more local?

As for the job, right place, right time. I was SO impressed with everyone associated with Dr. Ortiz that I wanted to work with him and they needed someone. I'm working with Carolyn and Sandy and everyone here knows how great they are! I'm still learning, but really enjoying it.

If anyone has any questions they want answered and don't want to post them here - you can email me at Lori@obesitycontrolcenter.com

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continued support and helpful information on flight deals and such, but at this point I'm not willing to drive 2 hours, catch a plane and ride 3 hrs then back into TJ for a 15 min procedure. I'm not a fan of flying... LOL!

I did find a Radiology group in Paris, TX and have scheduled my next fill Monday, July 10th. Paris, TX is about an hour away and the town is easier to get around in than Dallas! So, some of you might be wondering why I want a fill after just having been to TJ on June 12 for my 1st fill. Well, I think the restriction I had initially after my first fill was swelling. As that resolved, I've found myself being able to eat more than 1/3 of what I could pre-surgery. So, the next logical step is to get another fill. I'm not discouraged though because I know because I have the VG 13cc band and my BMI isn't all that bad, this could be a drawn out process hitting my "sweet spot".

I'll let you all know how the 2nd fill goes.

I was very impressed by the fill experience I had in Paris, TX yesterday at the Paris Immaging Center. Apparently, I did not have any restriction whatsoever. The radiologist could only withdraw 0.5cc fluid from my band and I had a 2.8cc fill on June 12th. I watched the first sips of barium just flow through the banded area like a commet speeding through space! As Dr. Clifford began placing saline in my band, he would have me take a sip of barium and we would watch the computer screen together. Finally, I took a sip and watched the commet speeding through space hit a brick wall! It was so cool to watch... as the barium hit the banded area it started to disperse backward into my pouch then began to trickle slowly through the banded area. To confirm the restriction, I took a few more sips of barium and the doc said this is what we wanted to see... barium still in the pouch, but seeping slowly through the banded area ... not passing directly through without any hesitation. Since I live 1 hour away, he gave me a great fill.... 2.5cc. He said if I lived further away he would have been more conservative and cautioned me with any trouble to please come back to the clinic immediately! It was a fantastic experience!

Now, I know what restriction is! I can feel liquids passing through the banded area. I'm going to follow the instructions I got from Dr. Ortiz's office and stay on full liquids for a few days before graduating back to regular food.

This yo-yo weight while I've been trying to hit my sweet spot is frustrating. I was back up to 215lbs yesterday. This morning, back down to 211lbs. I will be so glad to see the numbers on the scale going down, down, down, down!

I was very impressed by the fill experience I had in Paris, TX yesterday at the Paris Immaging Center. Apparently, I did not have any restriction whatsoever. The radiologist could only withdraw 0.5cc fluid from my band and I had a 2.8cc fill on June 12th. I watched the first sips of barium just flow through the banded area like a commet speeding through space! As Dr. Clifford began placing saline in my band, he would have me take a sip of barium and we would watch the computer screen together. Finally, I took a sip and watched the commet speeding through space hit a brick wall! It was so cool to watch... as the barium hit the banded area it started to disperse backward into my pouch then began to trickle slowly through the banded area. To confirm the restriction, I took a few more sips of barium and the doc said this is what we wanted to see... barium still in the pouch, but seeping slowly through the banded area ... not passing directly through without any hesitation. Since I live 1 hour away, he gave me a great fill.... 2.5cc. He said if I lived further away he would have been more conservative and cautioned me with any trouble to please come back to the clinic immediately! It was a fantastic experience!

Now, I know what restriction is! I can feel liquids passing through the banded area. I'm going to follow the instructions I got from Dr. Ortiz's office and stay on full liquids for a few days before graduating back to regular food.

This yo-yo weight while I've been trying to hit my sweet spot is frustrating. I was back up to 215lbs yesterday. This morning, back down to 211lbs. I will be so glad to see the numbers on the scale going down, down, down, down!

Hey Chelly,

Can I ask, how much was your fill?

Glad it seems to be going well for you :)

Chelley,

Sorry regarding my response. I am not always sure how to post a response without including the quote. I am very happy for your 'good' news. I am glad to know that you can tell when you have restriction. Were you able to follow the diet when you had no restriction? Were you still very hungry? Thanks for sharing all your specifics. I will be going for my follow up care to a doctor who was trained by Dr. Ortiz. He has a large practice out of a local medical center (in NJ). My first appointment will be the Wednesday after surgery. After the consult, we will talk about when the first fill will be. I also plan to join their monthly support group. I was told that the fill will cost $500.00 plus the radiology fee. Not sure how much that will be or whether my insurance willcover any of it. Does anyone know how often we will need fills?

Continued good luck,

Sheila

Sheila - The doctor who did my fill charged $350 for fill under fluroscopy. I'm not sure if the cost of your fill is the difference in living expenses compared to my fill. I had restriction after surgery from swelling. I have followed the diet. One thing I've learned is having surgery is only 1/2 the battle... getting the fill just right is the other 1/2! After my 1st fill, I had some minor restriction the 1st week or so then by July 1st I was eating normally without any restriction at all. I'd try to minimize my portions, but I would still feel hungry and as a result overeat. There is a marked difference in the way I feel immediately after this second fill. For the first time I can actually feel liquids passing through the banded area. Good luck to you! Let us know how your fill experience goes.

P.S. - I you want to reply without including the quote, hit "add reply" at the bottom of the screen. If you want to reply with the quote in the text, hit "reply" at the end of the post you wish to reply to. It took me a while to figure it out too! :)

I e-mailed Dr. Ortiz about my fill and asked what had happened to my 2.8cc fill I received on June 12th. When I went for the 2nd fill here in the USA they could only pull back 0.5 cc. As a nurse, I had concerns about my band possibly leaking! Dr. Ortiz e-mailed me back and told me that the VG bands sometimes disipate on the first fill. I followed up with another e-mail with medical questions and he answered that one too! Just wanted you guys to know that Dr. Ortiz is there for his patients via e-mail or cell phone. He e-mailed me back the very same day! I assure you, there are not many doctors in the USA who are so accomodating to their patients!

I e-mailed Dr. Ortiz about my fill and asked what had happened to my 2.8cc fill I received on June 12th. When I went for the 2nd fill here in the USA they could only pull back 0.5 cc. As a nurse, I had concerns about my band possibly leaking! Dr. Ortiz e-mailed me back and told me that the VG bands sometimes disipate on the first fill. I followed up with another e-mail with medical questions and he answered that one too! Just wanted you guys to know that Dr. Ortiz is there for his patients via e-mail or cell phone. He e-mailed me back the very same day! I assure you, there are not many doctors in the USA who are so accomodating to their patients!

The surgeons at Scripps Clinic in San Diego said that sometimes it seems like they are leaking after the first fill because there may still be some air inside the band. Even though the liquid won't come out on its own, the air can, and it may cause a small amount of fluid to be pushed out as well. Once all the air has been removed (usually after the first fill is done) it shouldn't be a problem any more.

I'm so happy to report I'm back down to 207lbs! I'm doing great. I know what restriction is now! I had one little episode of a 8oz slim fast I'd made for breakfast ending up in a PB episode, but it wasn't bad... just slime in my mouth ... walked it off... thank God! I'm learning what my soft stops are ... for me it is a pain in my left flank ... go figure! I also just have this voice in my head that says "DO NOT TAKE ONE MORE BITE". It's like I instinctually know not to take that extra bite or there is gonna be big consequences. I absolutely will not vomit unless I'm dying :) soooo ... hopefully I'm back on track to weight loss. Chelley

Can you tell me what the pre surgury diet is like? With the Slim fast and salad, it sounds like a low carb deal?

When you make the decision to have surgery at the Obesity Control Center and start the ball rolling, part of your preop requirement is a telephone consultation with Dr. Miranda. Because I am diabetic and my starting weight was 227.5 lbs, she told me that I could just do a sensible low fat diet if I wanted, but since I was having surgery with my Mom and Sister, I opted for the strict diet so we could support each other and because I didn't want to take any chances of not loosing the belly fat needed to help shrink my liver and protect it during surgery.

The first couple of days was tough on this diet of salad greens and Slim Fast Optima. I drank 3-4 shakes a day and I used the canned variety so I wouldn't be tempted to sneak an extra scoop of the powdered kind. Something else that also helped was that I cleaned out my cupboards and my fridge and stocked only the foods I could have on this diet and began stocking for the postop phase. Since I am single, I didn't have to worry about keeping tempting goodies on hand for a family.

The first couple of nights with only salad greens and slim fast onboard, my stomach rumbled and I was hungry for the first time in a long time. I was feeling weak, was cranky but I was committed. I just kept telling myself that I could do anything for 7 days and kept imagining (with my nurses imagination) what a blood bath it would be if my big ole fat floppy liver got punctured because I couldn't follow a itty bitty diet for a few days! HA! That was great incentive!!! :rolleyes:

To be honest, I do have to say on day 3 of the diet I snuck a grilled chicken breast in that salad and felt better but was right back on the diet without any slip ups. That night I went to bed without a growling tummy and then it got better. I stuck to the diet and Mom, Sister and I supported each other and I ended up loosing 12 lbs pre-op!

Best wishes!

Chelley

The surgeons at Scripps Clinic in San Diego said that sometimes it seems like they are leaking after the first fill because there may still be some air inside the band. Even though the liquid won't come out on its own, the air can, and it may cause a small amount of fluid to be pushed out as well. Once all the air has been removed (usually after the first fill is done) it shouldn't be a problem any more.

Did you have your fill at Scripps? If so, can I ask how much?

Charlie

It has been a week since my first fill and I'm feeling fine. I still have restriction although it doesn't seem as tight as it did those first few days. I have to admit that even though I'm a nurse, I still have the same doubts and worries all lap band patients have. Now that my restriction is not as tight I have this nagging voice of doubt in the back of my mind saying ... "what if your band is leaking" ... and it won't shut up! I'd mentioned I'd e-mailed Dr. Ortiz because I was very concerned about what happened to my orginal 2.8cc fill. I'd love to hear from someone else who has the VG band and what their fill experiences were like. Chelley

Chelley,

First, I really wanted to thank you. Your frank posts and discussions were a fantastic source of info in my decision-making process. I will be having the surgery 8/9 and am as excited and nervous as everyone else. I have been ghosting around looking for more info on that period between the end of the post-op diet and first fill stages. Can you tell us a bit about re-entry into the world of solid food? I will have 8 weeks between my suregery and first fill date, so am a little apprehensive about this time-period.

Again, many thanks!

Chelley,

First, I really wanted to thank you. Your frank posts and discussions were a fantastic source of info in my decision-making process. I will be having the surgery 8/9 and am as excited and nervous as everyone else. I have been ghosting around looking for more info on that period between the end of the post-op diet and first fill stages. Can you tell us a bit about re-entry into the world of solid food? I will have 8 weeks between my suregery and first fill date, so am a little apprehensive about this time-period.

Again, many thanks!

When you arrive at the OCC and talk with Dr. Miranda, the nutritionist, she will give you a four page instruction guide that will clearly define what you can eat the the post-op phase. Dr. Miranda may modify this guide depending upon your needs. Since I am a diabetic, she altered mine plan slightly. By the fourth week (days 22-28) you are to start solid meals. Dr. Miranda explains that she wants you to use the "plate" method. Divide your plate into quarters. In the first section place a protein source no larger than the palm of your hand, in the 2nd place a green veggie, in the 3rd a fruit, and the 4th a carb. Eat in order of 1, 2, 3, 4 without mixing bites in the beginning. This is to help you learn what you can tolerate with the band. If you are mixing bites of 1,2,4 and you get plugged up and start to PB then you won't know what caused it. There are several guidelines for eating solids and Dr. Miranda will go over all those with you and she encourages questions and open discussion. She is also available by e-mail or phone after your surgery if you have any questions or problems.

As for me.... my eating plan was altered to accomodate my diabetes. I was experiencing some low blood sugars after surgery which was unusual for me since I'd been taking loads of insulin and still having high blood sugar before the pre-op diet. I transitioned to solid food by eating soft food and I really wish I hadn't because mushy food goes through the band and then you are hungry again. I've found if you eat the way you are told to eat then you have much better weight loss with less hunger and are eating a more balanced diet.

I just wanted to update everyone. I did e-mail Dr. Ortiz again and most likely I just need another fill in a few weeks. I guess the initial restriction I had was stomach irritation from getting the band filled and now that has resolved, I can eat a bit more than I should. I do have restriction though and have felt the protest of my smaller pouch with liquids backing up in to my esophagus ... ouch! And I do have to confess that is is very difficult for me not to want to take a sip of something while eating. Years ago, back in my 20's I had a tumor on one of my saliva glands and had to have it removed, so I don't seem to have enough moisture in my mouth when eating so I compensate by drinking fluids. That is a big no-no with the band and I'm training myself not to drink around meal times, but that means I have to work to get the fluids in between meals. I sip, sip, sip, sip. It's also helped that I've found a fellow nurse at the facility I work for who was banded a year ago by another Mexican surgeon. She has been through all these ups and downs of hitting the sweet spot on a fill. She's been supportive and has shared with me it took 3 fills and 2 unfills to get her band just right before she started dropping weight. Since getting her fill adjusted just right, she has lost 65lbs. That inspires me! Chelley

Did you have your fill at Scripps? If so, can I ask how much?

Charlie

I'm not banded yet, but since I did all the pre-op stuff at Scripps I can tell you. It is $495 per fill. I don't believe that includes under X-Ray.