Banded April 2006

I honestly don't know what to think about my VG band and the fills at this point. I'm having my 3rd fill tomorrow. Someone did point out on lapbandtalk that the VG band is segmented and does not always give the full volume of return on aspiration of the band. I've researched the Inamed webpage and Dr. Ortiz's book with no confirmation of this, however it does make sense and when looking at the VG band the segments of the fill area are visible. With the swelling down from fill #2 on July 10th, I have very little restriction and sometimes no restriction at all. The more I obsess about it the more I want to eat to comfort myself. I'm rather disappointed to say I am back up to my pre-surgery weight of 215lbs and I'm trying hard not to feel discouaraged. I still do not regret my decision to have the band, but I do wish I'd been a little more prepared to realize instant results are not always possible and that it takes patience and work to get the band filled to the correct restriction so I can control my overeating. Since I blabbed to everyone that I was having the band placed, co-workers are constantly asking me how much weight I have lost and I feel like every bite I put in my mouth is being monitored. I'm finding I feel like I need to defend my decision to have the band and educate my colleages. Forgive me if this bums anyone out ... not my intention because I truly am happy to be banded... I'm just frustrated and want instant results. I'll keep you posted as to how fill #3 goes tomorrow. Chelley

BTW ... Sister has lost 40lbs... so I do know this thing works when you have the correct restriction! Mom is going with me for a fill since she's at a plateau.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a 2.4cc fill today at the radiology center in Paris, TX. I just don't understand how in two weeks I can go from feeling restricted to no restriction. My last fill was on July 10th with 2.5cc fill. The radiologist had no answer to my question since he is not a surgeon, but a radiologist trainned to do fills under fluro. I was dismayed to watch the barium rush through the band with no restriction when just two weeks ago I saw the restricton on fluro for myself and felt it. "It's quite loose", he said. <_< They also had trouble accessing the port as it has now tilted. I'm praying I have the restriction I need now to start loosing this weight as I am very frustrated at this point. I honestly don't know what I will do if this doesn't do the trick. Grin and bear it I suppose since I'm completely tapped out with credit card maxed as of today's $350 fill.

I just wanted to share with you all an explaination for what could be happening to my band that was posted to me in another forum by a bariatric surgeon from the USA. The doc said that sometimes with the VG band it takes up to 3cc's just to PRIME it and often this not done in surgery because most surgeons prefer the band to heal in place before any fluid is added. He said he sees it happen all the time..... whew! I wish there was more information out there on the VG band. Even the Inamed website is lacking in information. If any of you know a website where I can educate myself further about my VG band ... please share! I can't tell you all the relief I felt in reading that my fills could have went into priming my band because I was seriously about to freak out thinking my band was leaking. I have good restriction this morning and am following the liquid diet recommendation after a fill; however, I do know from past fills that it does take about 3 days to find out if the restriction is true restriction or swelling. I'll keep you all posted. BTW ... scales went from 215 to 211 in one day post fill... :P ... i know I'm obsessed.

I went in for my first fill on June 15 (surgery date May 2) and they filled me wayyyyy too tight. I was puking up every bite I ate. Of course, I could get in 3 or 4 bites, but then race to the restroom to puke. I did this every day. We even took a trip to South Dakota for the 4th of July. I called it the "Regergitation Vacation" cuz I puked in every truck stop along the way. Even had to pull of the side of a VERY busy highway in the Rocky Mountains to hurl up my milk. And that was all I had for breakfast that morning.....milk.

Whhheeeewwww, luckiy for me, I just live an hour from TJ and I called the office on Tues. morning and they told me to come right in. I was there within 2 hours and had 1/2 my fill removed. That scared me though......half.....I still wanted restriction. So, for the whole rest of the day I was drinking liquids and eating big sticks. Then the next day I ate a yogurt for breakfast (after a really long sweaty walk, which I had never taken since the surgery) then I ate a Taco Supreme from Taco Bell for lunch. And for dinner I made homemade Taquitos and could only eat 1. NO PUKING.....yeah. But I could feel myself filling up......so I didn't want to push it. Then, while watching TV at night I ate a Fudgesicle and a Drum Stick.

Wouldn't you know it........I was down 2 lbs this morning from yesterday. All that puking, you would have thought that I would have lost weight......nope, not a lb. I stayed at 235 for over a month. This morning I was 232.8 Who knew that all I needed was a little food and a good walk?????

So, Chelley, I ask you this.......have you added a walk to your routine??? I went to the gym this morning and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I was sweating bullets cuz I did some running too. Hopefully, this will help me to keep that scale dropping.

Jennifer

Just wondering.......when you list your fill dates and cc's at the bottom of your posts........does that mean that you get 2.6 added to what you already have???? Or does that mean "what you have in your right now".

I just wanted to share with you all an explaination for what could be happening to my band that was posted to me in another forum by a bariatric surgeon from the USA. The doc said that sometimes with the VG band it takes up to 3cc's just to PRIME it and often this not done in surgery because most surgeons prefer the band to heal in place before any fluid is added. He said he sees it happen all the time..... whew! I wish there was more information out there on the VG band. Even the Inamed website is lacking in information. If any of you know a website where I can educate myself further about my VG band ... please share! I can't tell you all the relief I felt in reading that my fills could have went into priming my band because I was seriously about to freak out thinking my band was leaking. I have good restriction this morning and am following the liquid diet recommendation after a fill; however, I do know from past fills that it does take about 3 days to find out if the restriction is true restriction or swelling. I'll keep you all posted. BTW ... scales went from 215 to 211 in one day post fill... :P ... i know I'm obsessed.

Just wondering.......when you list your fill dates and cc's at the bottom of your posts........does that mean that you get 2.6 added to what you already have???? Or does that mean "what you have in your right now".

Jennifer - When I went in for my second fill, the doctor could only pull back 0.5cc of my original 2.8cc fill. I estimate that I now have 5.4cc fill rather than 7.7cc fill due to dissipation. I am four days out from my last fill and I do have restriction .... FINALLY. I have the vanguard band (VG for short) and it holds a maximum fill of 9cc. It's a larger band than they put in most lapbanders. I was so freaked out about not getting restriction after two fills because no one told me with the VG band some of the first fills go into priming this large band. I asked the fill doc if I should keep track of each fill amount or the running estimated total and he said each fill amount. The radiologists I use to do my fills always pull back to see how much is actually in the band then re-instill this in the band before adding more fill. Chelley

Jennifer - When I went in for my second fill, the doctor could only pull back 0.5cc of my original 2.8cc fill. I estimate that I now have 5.4cc fill rather than 7.7cc fill due to dissipation. I am four days out from my last fill and I do have restriction .... FINALLY. I have the vanguard band (VG for short) and it holds a maximum fill of 9cc. It's a larger band than they put in most lapbanders. I was so freaked out about not getting restriction after two fills because no one told me with the VG band some of the first fills go into priming this large band. I asked the fill doc if I should keep track of each fill amount or the running estimated total and he said each fill amount. The radiologists I use to do my fills always pull back to see how much is actually in the band then re-instill this in the band before adding more fill. Chelley

Chelley, I just gotta say thanks again for all the information you keep plugging in here. I am scheduled for my surgery on Sept 8 and I too have a high BMI and will probably have the VG band. It helps me so much to know what to expect with this. You are a real trooper. I'm not sure I wouldn't have died from dissapointment without ever finding out what you have shared with us now. Good luck and continued success. Please keep posting. BTW I was out of the country for a few weeks and since I am back I don't see any posts from Darin. He had his surgery right before I left. Hope he is doing okay too. Nita

Chelley, I just gotta say thanks again for all the information you keep plugging in here. I am scheduled for my surgery on Sept 8 and I too have a high BMI and will probably have the VG band. It helps me so much to know what to expect with this. You are a real trooper. I'm not sure I wouldn't have died from dissapointment without ever finding out what you have shared with us now. Good luck and continued success. Please keep posting. BTW I was out of the country for a few weeks and since I am back I don't see any posts from Darin. He had his surgery right before I left. Hope he is doing okay too. Nita

Nita - Thank you for your kind words. I'd like to encourage others to keep posting and sharing your experiences too! This forum is an excellent place to learn about the lapband while making a decision about having surgery, but it's also a support forum and I'd like to see more of those who have been banded sharing their stories! I get inspired reading the posts daily and hope that this site will continue to grow so that we can all support each other on our journey to better health. Keep us posted Nita! You will be amazed at how empowered you are going to be as your surgery nears. Having hope does that for you! God bless! Chelley

Chelley,

I love reading your postings. I was banded on July 14th and am so scared about how hungry I am. It is frightening to me. I am so afraid that once I start to eat real food that I will want to eat everything.

I already met with the surgeon who will do my post op fill. He described the VG band to me and said that he will give me 5cc's on the first fill. I hope that helps. I hope that this fill will help you. Your hardwork and sharing is such an encouragement. Good luck.

Thanks Rose! I really do wish I'd researched more about the VG band before I was banded, but I never considered that Dr. Ortiz would have to use one on me! I was 215lbs at the time of surgery and I assumed that I'd get a regular band. I thought the VG bands were just for the morbidly obese. WRONG! :lol: I carry the majority of my weight around my middle and the larger size band was the best choice for Dr. Ortiz to place around my fat padded stomach. I'll have to have more fills and my weight loss will be slower, but as long as I loose weight and keep my diabetes under control, I will be pleased with that.

To update you all..... At this time, I have finally found restriction and there is most definately a difference between true restriction and swelling. I get that slidding pressure feeling in my espoghagus frequently when I forget to sip or I take too large a bite. Head hunger is very difficult to deal with and I found myself wanting so badly just to be able to eat a dish I made a few days ago, that I .......... sry this is gross....... but I chewed a few bites and spit them out in the trash! Then I was mortified... and was like OMG.... what ARE you DOING??? My sister has been teasing me saying "I had to watch you eat whatever you wanted for 3 months while I starved on bites ... now you see how it is!" :lol: But she has lost 45 lbs .. was fortunate enough to get restriction on her first fill and I'm so very proud of her. But she learned 3 months ago what she could and couldn't eat and she went through the pains of head hunger while I was shoveling it in like there was no tomorrow and whinning about not having any restriction.

I have to say that I can't eat by Dr. Miranda's plate method very well, but I am trying. Three days after the fill, I came off liquids and tried the plate method. Two small bites into the grilled chicken and I was standing over the toilet praying that God would let me live. So, what did I do??? After the symptoms of my immpending MI (that's what it's gotta feel like) went away, I blended that chicken up with some broth and ate it ................ which was probably not good b/c now I know I can eat just about anything pureed. Kinda defeats the purpose of the band. So this week I'm being a good lapbander and have put away the hand blender and am trying really hard to eat like I'm suppose to. Head hunger tells me ... blend it ... but my resolve it to not give into that so I'm crocheting, working more hours, and trying ... trying ... trying to shut the negative self talk off so I can succeed with this band.

Hi Chelly,

I is always nice to hear your experiences. I have to ask, as I have had 2 fills in the regular band, what it is like. I am on my first week of my second fill and have not reached the "sweet spot" I can still eat much more than 1/2 cup or 3 or 4 oz of food.

I started out with a lower BMI and know that weight loss is going to be slow but I was banded on 4/13 and have lost 13lbs to date. I am getting really frustrated. I am planning on following in your footsteps and three weeks from now if I do not have restriction, I will go back. Just looking for the sweet spot.

Kel

Hi Chelly,

I is always nice to hear your experiences. I have to ask, as I have had 2 fills in the regular band, what it is like. I am on my first week of my second fill and have not reached the "sweet spot" I can still eat much more than 1/2 cup or 3 or 4 oz of food.

I started out with a lower BMI and know that weight loss is going to be slow but I was banded on 4/13 and have lost 13lbs to date. I am getting really frustrated. I am planning on following in your footsteps and three weeks from now if I do not have restriction, I will go back. Just looking for the sweet spot.

Kel

Kel - I understand your frustration so well. I thought my band was leaking! It wasn't , of course. One thing that doesn't get discussed on this forum are experiences of lapbanders once they are in the quest of that sweet spot. Trying to get restriction is frustrating, can be discouraging, and costly. I'd like to see more of us who have been banded for a few months talking openly about our experiences. I was so focused on having the surgery and crossing that hurdle, I didn't even have a clue that was the easy part. :lol:

As you can see from my weight loss ticker on my posts, I've not lost a lot of weight either and mine yo-yo's drastically. The day of my 3rd fill I was very discouraged and even tearful when I weighed in at 215lbs which was my weight the day of surgery. One week out from the fill and I've stablized at 210 now for a few days, but I'm dropping some inches because my waistband on those new size 18 jeans I was so proud to get into are not so darn tight. I gave away all my larger clothes so I wouldn't have the luxury of moving back up a size because I want this to work. How are you dealing with head hunger? It is so hard for me sometimes because food has been such a big part of my life.

As far as how does the restriction feel? For me, it is really tight in the morning. I mean I can't even sip something cold or I feel this pressure type pain as the fluid I just tried to swallow backs up in my esophagus. I've learned in this last week to sit out whatever I want to drink before I get in the shower so it's not so cold. I usually drink an 8oz glass of lowfat or soy milk in the morning, but it can't be ice cold. It seems I can tolerate hot better than cold. So, a lot of times for breakfast I fix a little serving of malt-o-meal and that seems to open my band up so every bite isn't slidding back up my throat. Eating anything solid can be a painful experience right now if I'm not careful! I have to remember to cut whatever I'm eating up like I was feeding a toddler. Little bites and chew until there is no substance to it and swallow ... wait ... if it goes down ok... try another bite. Crispy works better than chewy for me also. I can eat dry Cherrios but put milk on them and uggg... praying at the toilet. Forget soft bread ... but toast is tolerable ... but only about 1/2 slice. I was so concerned about not being able to drink while eating and it isn't even an issue because while I'm trying to eat, if I forget and take a drink ..... owwwwww ... the fluid hits the band and immediately rebounds up in my esophagus with a sharp pain that will literally take my breath away.

I was a little worried I might be too tight right now, but I don't think so. I can eat 1/3 or less of what I could before but only when I do little bites and chew it well with no fluid to wash it down. Gone are the days of taking a big drink of something... I can only tolerate sips unless I want to experience that immediate pain. Immagine pacing the livingroom, beating your chest like a gorilla because you think your chest is going to pop open! It does take painful lessons to correct 39 years of eating habits I suppose.

I'm constantly sipping water and getting it down is a task because I use to could drink 16oz water in a few minutes. Now, it takes me several hours to sip a 16oz of bottled water.. of course I'm doing other things, but I have to be mindful to drink my water.

Best wishes with your next fill. Keep me posted on your progress. It was good to hear from you again!

Chelley

Hey! Good to see you posting, and glad to hear things are going better. I've enjoyed your BLOG ever since you started it. Glad that you aren't leaking!

Take care, and I'll be watching with interest...

Thanks Rid! How are you coming along in your decision to get the band? Keep us posted. Chelley

Thanks Rid! How are you coming along in your decision to get the band? Keep us posted. Chelley

Thanks for asking, but I certainly don't want to mess up your BLOG! :P

I am getting banded. It looks like it is going to happen on August 17th, with Dr. Donald Waldrep in Thousand Oaks. He is recently in this area, having practiced for many years in Sacramento. He recently opened a second office in Thousand Oaks, and splits his time between No Cal and So Cal. I've spent lots of time looking at forums for bandsters in Sacramento, getting the scoop on Waldrep. He hasn't done as many as Ortiz, but I'm very comfortable.

Having said that, if anyone has "heard" anything, please let me know! Send a personal email, so we don't get Chelley's blog off track!

But I'll probably start a thread soon, even though I am not an Ortiz patient. I like you guys too much to bail!

Rid

Chelly,

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed response, it is really appreciated. Based on what you are describing, I don't believe I have hit my "sweet spot" but I am willing to keep going for fills until it is right. Fortunately for me, I live in CA and only 1 1/2 hours from Dr Ortiz's officc.

As far as head hunger.... that is of course an issue as food is definately a freind. But I keep working on it and do my best to just eat 3 meals a day and maybe one snack. That way I am sure not to listen to the dreaded head hunger.

Again thanks for the great posts we all love it

Kel

Good luck Rid. Chelley, thanks so much for all your sharing. I also did not realize the difference with the VG band, and I thought I had done so much research. I was 196 pounds prior to surgery, but I am only 4 feet, 11 inches, so my BMI was high. Also, since I am so short, (Dr. Ortiz said I am compact), I am round and the VG band was really the best for me. The first week after surgery, I thought that I had restriction because eating was literally painful. But, I think that was really gas, which took about 10 days to go away. Now, I feel like I have no restriction. Is that normal? The surgeon I saw says that it is normal to feel no restriction until after the fill, but I worry. I am on full liquids now, but force myself to stop, even though I am really still hungry. As to drinking, I find that I still must take several sips of water when I eat; however I think this is great because, in the past, I would have 3-4 glasses with a meal. As to head hunger, it is really hard. It seems that I should be eating with my husband and daughter, but I sit there with soup or jello and try to think I am satisfied, because I am thinking of the goal.

Chelley, this evening I made london broil and missed real food so much, that I took a small piece, chewed it and spit it out. That is embarassing, but I don't think too abnormal. When we have patients who have swallowing disorders, sometimes speech therapy permits "recreational feeds" for the sake of chewing and flavor. While I don't want to make a habit of it, I don't want to berate myself, or anyone else, for doing what we can to make it through this very tough phase.

Continued good luck and hopefully your honesty will open others to share more.

Sheila

Sheila,

As the swelling reduced post band, my hunger increased. On the full liquid phase, I used a hand blender to puree or liquify food with a little more substance to it. For instance, the London Broil you made... you could have added a potato and a little broth and blended it into a hearty soup. Just don't make the mistake I have and continue to do that when you are suppose to be eating solids. ;)

I was able to drink and eat like I could pre-band by the time of my first fill. Also, I don't want to bum you out ... but one week after my first fill I was a bottomless pit again. From what I understand, I am not alone .... it is hard work getting this fill business down to the sweet spot and is much more of a challenge than I ever anticipated. I was really hard on myself and I shouldn't have been because I wanted instant results.

Head hunger is a nasty *****! I always flipantly said, "food is my drug of choice" ... and oh boy ... I just didn't realize how much so. Now that I can't eat to soothe away anxiety, anger, fear or any other emotions I don't want to deal with I find myself choosing other outlets like cleaning the house, crocheting, working Sudoku puzzles... but still there I am (as one of Dr. Ortiz's patients wrote in his book) "circling the kitchen like a shark". Sheila, I just can't imagine what I'd do if I had to prepare meals for a family and sit and watch them eat while I had my liquids. I applaude your resolve.

As far as spitting out food... well, that wasn't one of my more proud moments. I cried actually after that and berated myself for being so weak. I thank you for sharing your experience because it makes me feel like I'm not the only one out there going through this difficult transition.

Chelley

Good luck Rid. Chelley, thanks so much for all your sharing. I also did not realize the difference with the VG band, and I thought I had done so much research. I was 196 pounds prior to surgery, but I am only 4 feet, 11 inches, so my BMI was high. Also, since I am so short, (Dr. Ortiz said I am compact), I am round and the VG band was really the best for me. The first week after surgery, I thought that I had restriction because eating was literally painful. But, I think that was really gas, which took about 10 days to go away. Now, I feel like I have no restriction. Is that normal? The surgeon I saw says that it is normal to feel no restriction until after the fill, but I worry. I am on full liquids now, but force myself to stop, even though I am really still hungry. As to drinking, I find that I still must take several sips of water when I eat; however I think this is great because, in the past, I would have 3-4 glasses with a meal. As to head hunger, it is really hard. It seems that I should be eating with my husband and daughter, but I sit there with soup or jello and try to think I am satisfied, because I am thinking of the goal.

Chelley, this evening I made london broil and missed real food so much, that I took a small piece, chewed it and spit it out. That is embarassing, but I don't think too abnormal. When we have patients who have swallowing disorders, sometimes speech therapy permits "recreational feeds" for the sake of chewing and flavor. While I don't want to make a habit of it, I don't want to berate myself, or anyone else, for doing what we can to make it through this very tough phase.

Continued good luck and hopefully your honesty will open others to share more.

Sheila

Chelley, I posted a new thread about my appointment. Check it out...

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?showtopic=657

Woohoo Rid! I'll be thinking about you and praying for your success. Chelley

I am sorry for asking a possible dumb question. how do I know if I have a vg band or a regular band. I had surgery on May 25th and I had a fill on July 27th they put in 1.8cc and I notice restriction that I did not have before my first fill. Some days are harder to eat then others some days I feel like I can eat all day the next day I can not eat at all. I sm losing weight ok The week before the surgery I weighed 253 then the day of the surgery I weighed 244 yesterday I weighed 226 so I think I am on the right track please let me know and I am sorry for the dumbuestion

I am sorry for asking a possible dumb question. how do I know if I have a vg band or a regular band. I had surgery on May 25th and I had a fill on July 27th they put in 1.8cc and I notice restriction that I did not have before my first fill. Some days are harder to eat then others some days I feel like I can eat all day the next day I can not eat at all. I sm losing weight ok The week before the surgery I weighed 253 then the day of the surgery I weighed 244 yesterday I weighed 226 so I think I am on the right track please let me know and I am sorry for the dumbuestion

Chrissy - When I was banded, Dr. Martinez told me they put the VG band in when he checked on me post-op and expalained why. Before discharge I was given two wallet cards, one of which has a picture on the front of it of a banded stomach labeled "Lap-Band Medical Information". The front of my card has my name and Dr. Ortiz's name on it. The back side has the sticker label from the package that contained my lap-band. This sticker has a green border around it and says "LAGB VG" telling me I have a VG band. It also has the reference number and serial number of my band. Check and see if you have one! Chelley

BTW - There are not any dumb questions! If in doubt, or you can't find your card, maybe Lori can check for you.

I'm so very discouraged as it seems I am floundering with the band and this fill business. I'm rather dissatisified with the lack of support for patients transitioning with the band. This is hard .. much harder than I'd ever anticipated. I regret having told just about everyone about my decision to have the band because I get asked daily, "how much weight have you lost?" and the answer hasn't changed since they asked me a week ago, a month ago, three months ago. I'm too embarassed to confess that I've gained since my inital 25lbs weight loss. Since the third fill in July I've maintained my weight and I just don't understand why because I can't eat half of what I could before. In fact, my hair is starting to fall out which is incredibly distressing so I know I'm not getting the nourishment I need yet the scale does not budge. I've started taking supplements to help with this. I can't eat per the plate method and I've tried and tried. Everytime I try and start off with a meat I PB painfully. Do you know how awful it is to PB while your stomach is growling? The physical hunger is bad enough but the mental hunger is even worse. I'm so very frustrated and I just don't know what to do next. I can't imagine getting another fill right now and I'm not sure an unfill would be wise at this point. My activity level is adequate because I get 10,000 steps in routinely at work because my job as a nurse requires me to be on my feet the majority of my 8 hour shift. Suggestions anyone?

Chelley,

My heart is breaking for you. Also, I worry if I will have the same problem as you. I have dieted so often and lowered my metabolism through yo-yo dieting, that I wonder if this will work. I was banded on July 14th, four weeks ago today. I have lost 15 pounds (including the week of liquids pre-surgery), but have plateaued for the past week. I have been so hungry, but for the most part, I have followed the instructions.

I had my first (and I pray to God, my last) p-bing today. I had 1/2 slice of bread with 2 tbspns chopped meat with onions. My first bite was of the bread because I had so much acid in my stomache. The pain was immediate and severe. I found myself pushing against my abdomen, trying to relieve myself and finally vomitted that mushy/mucus. So gross.

Chelley, are you able to see a dietician? My insurance covers my seeing one, so I have. She has helped me with some ideas regarding what to eat; also to take chromium picolinate (which I think has also helped my blood sugars). I am also a nurse and I know that we are always moving, but it isn't the same as exercise. We are moving and then stop to do something. I think that exercise will help. In order to lose weight, we have to work for about 20-30 minutes in a row. I know you must be tired at the end of each day (and I can't imagine doing anything before work). I have started with walking at night and plan to look into Curves or some other organized exercise program. Also, are you drinking enough water? I find that since I am trying to drink slowly, and do not drink with meals, I am having trouble getting enough fluid in.

Chelley, you have been such a support to so many of us. I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say that we all wish you success.

Sheila

I'm so very discouraged as it seems I am floundering with the band and this fill business. I'm rather dissatisified with the lack of support for patients transitioning with the band. This is hard .. much harder than I'd ever anticipated. I regret having told just about everyone about my decision to have the band because I get asked daily, "how much weight have you lost?" and the answer hasn't changed since they asked me a week ago, a month ago, three months ago. I'm too embarassed to confess that I've gained since my inital 25lbs weight loss. Since the third fill in July I've maintained my weight and I just don't understand why because I can't eat half of what I could before. In fact, my hair is starting to fall out which is incredibly distressing so I know I'm not getting the nourishment I need yet the scale does not budge. I've started taking supplements to help with this. I can't eat per the plate method and I've tried and tried. Everytime I try and start off with a meat I PB painfully. Do you know how awful it is to PB while your stomach is growling? The physical hunger is bad enough but the mental hunger is even worse. I'm so very frustrated and I just don't know what to do next. I can't imagine getting another fill right now and I'm not sure an unfill would be wise at this point. My activity level is adequate because I get 10,000 steps in routinely at work because my job as a nurse requires me to be on my feet the majority of my 8 hour shift. Suggestions anyone?

I'm so sorry, hun! I'm not really sure what to suggest other then, make sure you are taking a really good vitamin and mineral supplement every day and try to get more protein. If you need to, drink a protein shake as one of your meals. At least then you can get some sustinance! Your body thinks you're starving right now, which is why it's not giving up anything an you are not losing weight.

Chelley,

I hope you will be feeling better about things soon. I wonder if there is a group of bandsters in your area?

I found a group here, The Idaho Bandsters, some are new to this and some have been banded for years.

They meet for a "soup night" once a month. They have welcomed me into their fold with open arms and are all happy to help me and answer questions. You are an inspiration to all of us here. I noticed that alot of the people have dropped away after their band dates and it is soooooo helpful to have you here still. I promise that when I'm banded I will stick around and hope everyone else will too. We can make it more supportive post-banding. I think you may be losing inches instead of pounds. Is that possible? Hang in there and please don't go away, I look forward to your posts and updates, even if you are not in a positive place. We need to know. Thanks Nita