Banded April 2006

I'm so very discouraged as it seems I am floundering with the band and this fill business. I'm rather dissatisified with the lack of support for patients transitioning with the band. This is hard .. much harder than I'd ever anticipated. I regret having told just about everyone about my decision to have the band because I get asked daily, "how much weight have you lost?" and the answer hasn't changed since they asked me a week ago, a month ago, three months ago. I'm too embarassed to confess that I've gained since my inital 25lbs weight loss. Since the third fill in July I've maintained my weight and I just don't understand why because I can't eat half of what I could before. In fact, my hair is starting to fall out which is incredibly distressing so I know I'm not getting the nourishment I need yet the scale does not budge. I've started taking supplements to help with this. I can't eat per the plate method and I've tried and tried. Everytime I try and start off with a meat I PB painfully. Do you know how awful it is to PB while your stomach is growling? The physical hunger is bad enough but the mental hunger is even worse. I'm so very frustrated and I just don't know what to do next. I can't imagine getting another fill right now and I'm not sure an unfill would be wise at this point. My activity level is adequate because I get 10,000 steps in routinely at work because my job as a nurse requires me to be on my feet the majority of my 8 hour shift. Suggestions anyone?

Wow. My favorite bandster down in the dumps. What does Ortiz's office say? What about Dr. Miranda? It seems like they should be able to go through this with you and get some answers. I bet Dr. Miranda would want to see a journal showing exactly what and when you are eating, and trying to eat.

Hope you get some answers. You've worked really hard, and deserve success. So many rookies around here, and not many long time bandsters posting. Please let me know what you find out.

Rid

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chelly I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated and I completely understand what you are going through.

I posted almost the same thing yesterday under a different thread. I feel your pain my friend. I am on my second fill and although I have not gained any weight back, I have not lost any more. My 12 lbs have stayed off which I guess is a blessing however, I see so many posts in which people have lost 40 lbs in 4 months and I wish that were me. I too wish I had not told people because I am getting the same responses as you.

However we both need to keep reminding ourselves that we didn't do this for anyone else but us. We owe it to ourselves to keep going and not give up!!!!! Have you talked to the Dr that is doing your fills now? I have noticed on lapbandtalk.com that there are quite a few people that have the VG band and their fills are as much as 7cc's before they really start loosing.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers

Kelli

Chelley,

I'm sorry you are having such a struggle with your band. You know more about the band than most people, but I'm going to ask these questions anyway, because even though I'm sure you know this, it might help someone else.

Are you drinking while you are eating or withing an hour after eating?

Are you taking in any extra high calorie liquids (or soft foods)

Are you drinking lots of water between meals... your body needs the water to lose weight.

Fish is easier on your stomach than chicken and chicken is easier than beef.

If you find you aren't getting your protein in with food... which should be your first choice, try adding low carb/high protein shake once a day - since my restriction is tightest in the morning, I usually have one for breakfast.

If you are doing all these things correctly, I'd say its time to give Dr. Ortiz a call. He really does care about his patients and wants you to be successful with the band.

Guest ladybug

Chelley,

I am so sorry you are in such a struggle, both physical and mental. You know as a diabetic your weight loss will probably be slower, combine that with the larger band and it seems a recipe for frustration.

It is so difficult to "know" and yet have our minds constantly question every detail. Since my surgery isn't until next week, I cannot offer much sage advise on your current dilemma, but I can say how invaluable your post have been to me and many, many others. The folks who have replied to your

Thank you all for your encouragement. Sorry to post a downer, but this is an adjustment period and not many lapbanders talk about this part of the process. Being the blabber-mouth that I am and honest to a fault I'm not going to gloss over my experience. :lol: I'm still glad I got the band. Although I am struggling, my blood sugar levels are within normal limits and I'm still free of those dreadful insulin injections and that is wonderful to me.

I've read testimonials from other lapbanders so I know my experience is not unique, but it isn't the instant gratification I had wanted. In this transition time, food no longer is your best friend. I'd heard that statement before and thought it was cute and just didn't realize the profound truth of that declaration. I'm finding myself confronted with my emotions daily whereas I'd self medicate with food in the past. In many ways I agree with the testimonal of a lapbander in Dr. Ortiz's book and feel like the old Chelley is dying and a new one is hopefully on her way out of this fat suit.

My sister is almost at the 50lb weight loss mark after our surgery in April and has only had one fill so I know this thing can work! I'm not doing anything differently than she is except it has taken me 3 fills to her one to get restriction since I have the larger band. I also work with a nurse who was banded last year and after a 5 month struggle, she finally started shedding the pounds and has lost 65lbs. So, I do still have some hope that this will work ... tho my patience has dwindled and so has my enthusiasm.

I know I don't drink enough water... I'm working on it. I've never had to be mindful about drinking water but now that it has to be sipped, it is work to get in the daily requirement. I am using alternate sources of protein since I have such a hard time with meat. I've been trying things such as cottage cheese, soy milk, legumes, peanut butter, boiled eggs but I'm limitted to baby bites or this stuff just won't go down. So far I've found that crunchy works best for me and many times my best meal is dry Cherrios.

I'll consider calling Dr. Ortiz if things don't improve for me in the coming weeks. However, the credit card is completely tapped out and I'm not able to fly to TJ at the tune of $400 roundtrip for a consult plus fees for hotel and transportation.

But seriously, hang in there. You've got a lot of support. Any lucking finding a local fill doctor or support group? That would be easier than the $400 to TJ.

And thanks for your posts about the VG band. That was the first thing I asked my doc; which band? So just remember that your experiences are really helping others, especially me.

Keep postin!

Rid

Thanks again for your support. I'm so pleased to be reading posts from others on this forum who are also transitioning with the band.

What is it they say about hindsight .. that it is 20/20?? I really wish I hadn't told everyone at work about my band. If you are at all on the fence about telling folks other than your family or dearest friends, my advice would be DON'T. Give yourself that breathing room where you can eat without being monitored or asked daily "how much weight have you lost". I think the reason I told everyone was I thought the pressure them knowing about my my surgery would help me conform to my new lifestyle, but I never dreamed it would be this hard. Four months post-op and I've maintained a small margin of weight loss. I really thought by August I'd be down at least 30-40lbs... false expectations.

I rarely fail at anything and I'm not going to fail at this... I'm determined to do whatever I need to do to make this work. So, no more pitty party... it's time to do the hard work. Dr. Ortiz isn't a fairy god mother and this band isn't a magic wand. It's still up to me to make sensible food choices, get my water in and to..... uggggg ... exercise.

Chelley,

I am with you completely. Yesterday, I have signed up for Weight Watchers on line food tracking. This way I can see if the problem is what I am eating and not necessarily how much. I am determined to do this so I think if we all try to keep each other positive we will all succseed. Please keep us posted... Oh yeah, if you are going to exercise I would reccomend an MP3 player or an IPOD. I couldn't do it without it. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!! :)

Kelli

Kel, I'm in Murrieta. Where are you???? We must live close to eachother cuz I'm an hour and a half away too.

Jennifer

Chelly,

Thank you so much for your quick and detailed response, it is really appreciated. Based on what you are describing, I don't believe I have hit my "sweet spot" but I am willing to keep going for fills until it is right. Fortunately for me, I live in CA and only 1 1/2 hours from Dr Ortiz's officc.

As far as head hunger.... that is of course an issue as food is definately a freind. But I keep working on it and do my best to just eat 3 meals a day and maybe one snack. That way I am sure not to listen to the dreaded head hunger.

Again thanks for the great posts we all love it

Kel

chrissydolphin, I am sooooo jealous. I am not losing at all. What are you eating on a regular day??? I might have 1 pancake for breakfast, 2 pieces of pizza for lunch, a popsicle for snack and a chicken breast for dinner with mashed potatoes. I can't lose a freakin lb. Normally I would eat 3 pancakes, 5 pieces of pizza, 3 or 4 popsicles during the day and add a few dinner rolls with dinner and a second helping of potatoes for dinner.

What is your best advice for me. I am dying here not losing weight.

Jen

I am sorry for asking a possible dumb question. how do I know if I have a vg band or a regular band. I had surgery on May 25th and I had a fill on July 27th they put in 1.8cc and I notice restriction that I did not have before my first fill. Some days are harder to eat then others some days I feel like I can eat all day the next day I can not eat at all. I sm losing weight ok The week before the surgery I weighed 253 then the day of the surgery I weighed 244 yesterday I weighed 226 so I think I am on the right track please let me know and I am sorry for the dumbuestion

Thanks again for your support. I'm so pleased to be reading posts from others on this forum who are also transitioning with the band.

What is it they say about hindsight .. that it is 20/20?? I really wish I hadn't told everyone at work about my band. If you are at all on the fence about telling folks other than your family or dearest friends, my advice would be DON'T. Give yourself that breathing room where you can eat without being monitored or asked daily "how much weight have you lost". I think the reason I told everyone was I thought the pressure them knowing about my my surgery would help me conform to my new lifestyle, but I never dreamed it would be this hard. Four months post-op and I've maintained a small margin of weight loss. I really thought by August I'd be down at least 30-40lbs... false expectations.

I rarely fail at anything and I'm not going to fail at this... I'm determined to do whatever I need to do to make this work. So, no more pitty party... it's time to do the hard work. Dr. Ortiz isn't a fairy god mother and this band isn't a magic wand. It's still up to me to make sensible food choices, get my water in and to..... uggggg ... exercise.

Yeah, I can imagine how it would go. After reading your posts and others, I've only told a few people about it. Family, closest friends, and two of my business partners. I'm glad that I resisted the urge to tell everyone, because that's what I would normally do. But I also decided that I didn't need that validation from everyone. I got it from my wife and closest family. I told other people only because I wanted to talk about it, not for validation.

I'd rather them ask me in a few monthly how I lost so much weight and THEN tell them. But everyone has different ideas.

Yeah, I can imagine how it would go. After reading your posts and others, I've only told a few people about it. Family, closest friends, and two of my business partners. I'm glad that I resisted the urge to tell everyone, because that's what I would normally do. But I also decided that I didn't need that validation from everyone. I got it from my wife and closest family. I told other people only because I wanted to talk about it, not for validation.

I'd rather them ask me in a few monthly how I lost so much weight and THEN tell them. But everyone has different ideas.

Jen,

Have you figured out how many calories you have consumed with what little bit you are eating? Is there a hihger protien and lower carb choice you could make? Sounds high in the carb area.

beth

Jen,

I went to a dietician on a weekly basis when I was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years ago. I know it is frustrating to eat less and not lose weight, but you are eating too many carbs. If Dr. Ortiz did your surgery, call Dr. Miranda. Otherwise try to get in touch with a dietician if you have insurance coverage. Also, Weight Watchers is always a good plan. Your body needs more protein, and you are not giving it any until late in the day. Try having carbs at only 1 meal, not 3. Also, you need fruit and vegetables.

I love carbs, but they are definitely my enemy. I hope you find your way to weight loss and better health.

Chelley,

You should feel so good to see all the genuine caring and concern so many of us have for you.

Can't change that you told others, but thanks; because your experience warned us not to tell.

As far as weight loss, it is slow, but it is moving. It will come. You are right...the water and the dreaded exercise! We are all praying for your success.

Sheila

I feel blessed actually to have the support on this forum. Thank you seems like such a little word for the gratitude I feel, but thank you again for all your kind words and encouragement. I've readjusted my attitude as I mentioned in my last post and I am determined to look at food choice. It never occured to me that I might have to ... shhhh ... nasty words .... "diet and exercise" ... but here I am finding myself at that spot. The plate method doesn't work for me because I can't eat meat that well and it's too time consuming to cook a well balanced meal for one. All that cooking makes me ravenous. My enemy is head hunger. I find myself eating when I'm not hungry and there is no excuse. I don't have a family to prepare meals for and there is no reason I should look at the clock and say to myself, "it's noon - time to eat". So the last couple of days I've tried a little experiment. I drank a Slim Fast Optima - High Protein within an hour after waking up and then I did not eat again until I felt the first tummy rumblings .... and guess what time that was? Often not until 4-6pm in the evenning! Then, this is the hard part because I'm use to attacking my food when I'm hungry, then end up PB'ing. I made a sensible choice once I was hungry .... salad with tuna one day ... green beans and a boiled egg the next day. I have to make sure to take small bites and eat slowly and be mindful of what I am doing. My work environment is stressful and often breaks are interrupted so one learns to gobble their food. But I was proud of myself, when I would get interupted, I would store my meal in the fridge and come back to it when I had a few more minutes to spare. My tummy usually doesn't growl again until time to get off work around 11pm. I've chosen to make a fruit choice at this time because I can eat a bananna, apple or whatever on the drive home as long as I chew it very well. In between these times of hunger, I'm drinking water. If I still feel hungry once I get home, I drink a small glass of soy milk or have some yogurt. I'm down two lbs............. YAHOO. I can do this, if I learn how to deal with the head hunger that sends me to the fridge with every bad emotion I don't want to deal with.

Chelley,

Good for you for figuring out what you need to do to make this work. Personally, I have been on Weight Watchers for 3 years, obviously on and off, or I wouldn't be on this board. But I learned quite a few things, like eating more protein, smaller portions, and that I actually like some vegetables. I am scheduled for surgery on August 28th, and I plan on following Weight Watchers after than, once back on solid foods. I think if will just be a whole lot easier if I am not so ravenous all the time. One thing I really appreciate about Weight Watchers is that you need to write down everything you eat. It makes you very aware of how many calories you are putting in your body. Fortunately, or unfortunately, calories are the ultimate bottom line. If you cut out 3500, you lose a pound. Maybe tracking food might help someone?

I am starting my pre-op liquid diet today and will be posting about it on this forum. I need a place to diary and this seems like a good place.

Thanks for letting us all in on your very personal journey. I know it will make mine easier with no disolusions of a "magic wand" and "fairy godmother". I am ready to work for this.

Becki

Chelley,

I wanted to tell you that I found an entry regarding diet and the VG band, from a physician in San Francisco. He said that in order to lose weight, we must stay at 800 or less calories a day. The diet should be comprised of: <40 grams carb, <30 grams fat and 60 - 70 grams of protein a day. Protein seems to be the answer. Of course, he spoke of the "E" word; that we must get more aggressive. I know that wil be hard for me. As a nurse, I am always 'pooped' at the end of the day, but I know that I must get more aggressive. After my first fill, I am going to check out a local gym (just hope I don't feel too out of place). Also, on one of the INAMED sites, I read that the VG band needs 3.5 to 5.0 per fill for the average patient to feel satiety.

Good luck. We are all your cheerleaders.

Sheila

I carry a protein bar in my purse, it really helps. If I find I'm really hungry while away from my house, I always have a good choice (albeit a smashed choice!) very handyl The Met RX Peanut carmel one is really good - low sugar - high protein. Just take small bites and really chew it. If anyone else has suggesgtions for good snacks to keep in car/purse - let me know - maybe I can post them :)

Sorry I haven't posted because I'm most discouraged and I didn't want to be a downer on the forum. My hair is falling out ... my long, beautiful dark hair which is/was one of my best features, is thinning dramatically. I've been taking Biotin 1000mcg now for 3 weeks with little results other than my nails are growing, using a special hair loss shampoo, and I've increased my protein intake through protein shakes and still there is a wad of hair at the bottom of the drain and crammed between the bristles of my brush. I e-mailed Dr. Miranda because I know it's due to protein loss. I PB everytime I try to eat meat unless it is cooked very tender.

I'm depressed. I'm not loosing weight. I'm still at 210lbs ... my weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs up or down any given week. I eat like a bird and I'm so miserable I just have to question if I've made a huge mistake by having this band. Dr. Miranda forwarded my e-mail to Dr. Ortiz and no response. The post-care at the OCC is very poor and there are no local lap-band groups for me to attend since I live in a very rural area.

And Lori, God help you if you post "are you drinking enough water" ... I just might rip out what is left of my hair! :lol:

Very Pissy Today,

Chelley

Chelley,

Thanks for your honest post - living with the lapband is not all roses and weight loss. Its important for people to hear all types of experiences because not everyone loses the weight at all or easily. My experience with surgery is a mirror image of yours and my post band experiences are very similar. I so wanted to lose the diet mentality and the struggle and that is not the case.

Figuring out what foods will work (and then not having them work the next day or meal is maddening)

I'm not experiencing the hair loss but i'm sure it can make you crazy (and I understand it is common with lapband patients)

Fighting the demons (food/body image) do not go away with the lapband

My total weight loss 8 months out is about 13lbs - I've had three fills and one unfill - yes i'm happy about that but i'm in the same clothes, of course no one notices and i've worked to get every one of those pounds off. I am thankful everyday I told no one but my boyfriend - the scruitiny would be merciless.

And yes I follow all the bandster rules - i exercise, i eat three meals, i drink water, i don't drink with meals, i have a drink now and then, i don't binge anymore, and i cheat occassionally with 'bad' foods but no where near before.

I wish us both (and any one else struggling) patience and success. take care!!

Sorry I haven't posted because I'm most discouraged and I didn't want to be a downer on the forum. My hair is falling out ... my long, beautiful dark hair which is/was one of my best features, is thinning dramatically. I've been taking Biotin 1000mcg now for 3 weeks with little results other than my nails are growing, using a special hair loss shampoo, and I've increased my protein intake through protein shakes and still there is a wad of hair at the bottom of the drain and crammed between the bristles of my brush. I e-mailed Dr. Miranda because I know it's due to protein loss. I PB everytime I try to eat meat unless it is cooked very tender.

I'm depressed. I'm not loosing weight. I'm still at 210lbs ... my weight fluctuates 2-3 lbs up or down any given week. I eat like a bird and I'm so miserable I just have to question if I've made a huge mistake by having this band. Dr. Miranda forwarded my e-mail to Dr. Ortiz and no response. The post-care at the OCC is very poor and there are no local lap-band groups for me to attend since I live in a very rural area.

And Lori, God help you if you post "are you drinking enough water" ... I just might rip out what is left of my hair! :lol:

Very Pissy Today,

Chelley

Chelle

Chelley, you have been AND STILL ARE such a help and inspiration to me. This is the right place to go when you're feeling frustrated, or successful or just plain pissed off. We will all go through experiences like that and it helps to know we're not the first,or only ones, to feel that way. So thanks for venting here!

I'm familiar with the hair loss issues, though it was pre-banding for me. I'm the same way...no matter what shape my body was in,I coulod always count on my thick blond hair to make me feel better...then I started losing it and that, combined with my inability to keep the weight down, sent into years of depression. I worked through it and learned, something just recently that really surprised me.

I was getting my hair trimmed and the styist (whom i see about once every 3 months for a trim) said 'wow, your hair sure is getting thicker." I was shocked...I told her about my hair loss and she said that, just like the chemical changes in your body that change what foods taste good and what you're allergic to, your hair growth changes too. I had no idea that it could change for the better?! You probably know this, with your medical background, but I sure was pleasantly surprised. i've also fed my hair a steady diet of Pantene and Biosilk, which seems to have helped over the years.

I know you already know about plateaus and pauses and all that, so just hang in there, try some different food combos....maybe a naturopath?? And know that we're out here rooting for you (but slowly and patiently and without pressure <grin>).

Thanks for your pm's and your posts. I'm not giving up, I'm just frustrated. I've immersed myself into this world of being banded for 4 months now and I think I need to step back, relax, and just take a break from all this before I'm bald headed. From postings on lapbandtalk about a typical day of eating, those who've been banded longer than I have seem to think I'm malnourished because I'm taking in less than 1000 calories a day. Malnourished and fat... what a combo! :lol: Oh, and soon to be bald. And here I was thinking by October I'd be looking HOT! If I keep this up, I won't need a costume for Halloween ............ oh come on, I have to laugh/grin/giggle/smile!!!!

Also, guess what? You do have to diet on this band for it to work .......... I know, dirty words. From what I'm learning from those who have lived with the band for a long time, you end up eating a high protien diet and you have to .............shhhhhh ............ exercise! Failure with the band is linked to taking in too many carbs because they go down the best. Where was Dr. Atkins before I plopped down 10K? Well, I can't really blame it on that, because I did try the Atkins diet, lost 25lbs (more than I have postband) but I couldn't keep up the all meat diet... the carbs were calling my name. So, perhaps I'll have more control with the band. It certainly restricts the volume you can eat, therefore restricts calories to some degree. At least pre-band I could enjoy a grilled steak.. now I have to settle for boiled or slow cooked to slop.

Most discouraged, and still pissy about it :lol:

Chelley

Don't give up Chelley,

I completely understand what you have been saying and you are definately not alone. When I get discouraged I too have to take a step back and understand that prior to the band, I gained and lost the same 15 lbs four times in one year. At least now, I am keeping those 15lbs off and have not gained them back!!!

I know that may only be a small bit of comfort but understand that the stress you are putting yourself through just might be the reason you are loosing you hair. We are all here for each other so please know that if you just need to vent there are people here that are willing to listen and understand

Kel

Chelly,

I hear ya on the hair thing! I have that problem everytime I lose weight, even when i did Atkins, which is ALL protein! I've noticed a lot of mine coming out, too, and all I seem to eat is protein.

Chelly, I'd send an email, or call Dr. Martinez. Dr. Ortiz has been very busy lately and might not have had time to view your email yet. If you need his # just email me.

I am so sorry you are having such a hard time. Give me a call sometime, or Carolyn. She's had the band longer and might have some helpful hints.

I actually was impressed with the clinic and the follow-up care I got, thats why I asked for a job. Send me an email if you'd like and I can foward it to one of the doctors.

Did somebody say water.... it sure wasn't ME! :D

Chelly,

I'm right there with you ......................... damnit. I can't seem to lose a freakin pound. I, on the other hand, got an unfill and now I can eat quite a bit. I think I need to go back in and get just a smidgen put back in. What the hell..........................................is that how you spell "smidgen"?????

I had lost a few pounds last week by drinking a shit load of water and walking at night with my friends. You'd think that was enough to motivate me. Hell no. I hated every minute of it.

I keep noticing my hair falling out too. My long blonde hair...........UGH. Chelly and I could start a new forum................"Fat, Bald and Miserable". Good thing I have nice tits...............LOL

Jen