Banded April 2006

Jen,

You're funny!

Are you by any chance the gal I met on July 25th at the clinic that was getting the unfill?

I'm the one that was there for preop with my friend Anne.

Keep up the good sense of humor ladies.

I'm getting worried about my hair now and my gravity pulling.....b--bs.

Michele

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: You guys made me laugh... I sure did need that! Where do you sign up for the "fat, bald and miserable" group??? :P Lori - You are so funny ... you and your water thing... and I was impressed with the clinic during my banding, but after being banded I feel very much on my own. Aftercare could be better at the OCC. And who mentioned b__bs! Should we alter the name of our club to "fat, bald, miserable and sagging"???? Sry fellas... it's just sick female humor.

Thanks for the laugh!

Chelley

Hi Chelley,

I hope you received the email I sent you last night, if you didn't let me know and I'll give you a call.

I'm not really sure what more I could be doing to help you more with your aftercare, I really am trying, please let me know how else I can help, I am new to this, so any suggestions are appreciated.

I did send your post to Dr. Ortiz and he wants to speak with you to see how he can help, so let me know when we can set up that phone conference!

By the way Chelley, beautiful pic! I love that more people are posting their pictures!!

Yes Michelle,

Tis I...............................the one you met way back when. Damnit, I should have never got that unfill. I can't lose a thing. Besides my hair of course...............LOL

How are you??? Have you been losing????

Talk to you soon,

Jen

Jen,

You're funny!

Are you by any chance the gal I met on July 25th at the clinic that was getting the unfill?

I'm the one that was there for preop with my friend Anne.

Keep up the good sense of humor ladies.

I'm getting worried about my hair now and my gravity pulling.....b--bs.

Michele

Thanks! I'm not giving up ... but I am trying to step back and relax a little because I'm so stressed out hitting this plateau so early in the weight loss. Nurses make the worse patients second only to doctors! I do have to say even though my weight loss has been less than satisfactory, I have maintained my blood sugar levels. My caloric intake is such paired with my activity levels at work, that I don't need the insulin anymore ... and haven't since surgery, so I am still very happy with that.

Hair loss seems NOT to have worsened this week with the new shampoo kit I've been trying, the Biotin, protien shakes, and a multi vitamin. But I'm still scooping a wad out of the shower drain every day and cleaning the bristles of my brush out every few days... way too much loss... and it's not breakage ... it's letting go at the root.

Lori Becky is in the process of scheduling a telephone conference with me with Dr. Ortiz, so maybe he can make some recommendations regarding the hair loss and ways to jump start my weight loss again.

I did hear something interesting on an Oprah re-run the other day from her trainer, which was that little voice in your head and that feeling in your tummy that sends you to the kitchen and says "I want a little something" is actually your body telling you it is ready to eat (burn) your fat reserves, but if you feed that little feeling/voice then you have sabotaged your weight loss for the day because your body will use those calories instead of your reserves. Made a lot of sense to me. They recommended if you can get busy doing something else and let that pass you will see weight loss as long as you are active. Oh and, bummer.... Bob Greene said that activity and exercise are not the same thing.... an activity is swimming, tennis, ect.... but it takes aerobic (heart rate sustaining) exercise to loose weight. Just lovely... I knew I was gonna have to sweat. :lol:

Chelley

I've been reading a lot about hair loss on other boards, and on other websites, and talking to my doctor about it. I am only a week post-op, but I want to do whatever I can to prevent it down the road. It seems that hair loss is very, very common when losing a large amount of weight. But it will grow back. It usually begins 3-4 months after surgery, or the beginning of a significant lose, then slows down quickly and new hair grows in. From what I can figure out, and my doctor told me, a couple of things might help, making sure you get the correct amount of protein, botin, and vitamin B-12, which helps the biotin work better, and is generally good for you. I am planning on trying those things. Please let us know what Dr. Ortiz tell you, if you discuss hair loss. It might help some of us not have to go through what you are.

Becki

I bought a knifty knitter to keep my hands busy when my evil "feed me" monster came out of the woodwork. It worked for quite a while, but then I got so busy that by the time I get home I'm too tired to knit!!! Of course, I don't seem to be too tired to eat. Must work on that.

I've found the 2nd job to be a good combination of aerobic exercise and weight lifting. I spend at least one hour 5 days a week walking the parking lot and pushing rows of carts in. That's really good for sweating, lol. Then, the rest of the shift is spent lifting gallons and 24 packs of water into people's carts, along with dozens of hundreds of grocery bags over the course of the day. I'm so glad my "real" job is a desk job or I'd be dead right now!!!

I did hear something interesting on an Oprah re-run the other day from her trainer, which was that little voice in your head and that feeling in your tummy that sends you to the kitchen and says "I want a little something" is actually your body telling you it is ready to eat (burn) your fat reserves, but if you feed that little feeling/voice then you have sabotaged your weight loss for the day because your body will use those calories instead of your reserves. Made a lot of sense to me. They recommended if you can get busy doing something else and let that pass you will see weight loss as long as you are active.

I had my telephone consult with Dr. Ortiz today. Carolyn called to confirm I was home, then about 30 minutes later, she was patching me through to Dr. Ortiz as a 3 way call. I'm still kinda reeling from the call. Dr. Ortiz suggested that am too tight and that I may need a complete unfill, let my stomach rest for several weeks then start the fill process again at his clinic in Mexico. ;) *** sigh***

I've tied up the credit line I had available for the surgery and travel expense. As it is I'm working extra hours just to get my credit card paid down so I can have some breathing room. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.

Chelley

I had my telephone consult with Dr. Ortiz today. Carolyn called to confirm I was home, then about 30 minutes later, she was patching me through to Dr. Ortiz as a 3 way call. I'm still kinda reeling from the call. Dr. Ortiz suggested that am too tight and that I may need a complete unfill, let my stomach rest for several weeks then start the fill process again at his clinic in Mexico. ;) *** sigh***

I've tied up the credit line I had available for the surgery and travel expense. As it is I'm working extra hours just to get my credit card paid down so I can have some breathing room. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.

Chelley

Man, that's horrible. I don't get the logic of it! You never really had restriction, and you never lost weight, and his answer it that you are too tight? I just don't get it. I'm so sorry for you, Chelley.

You hear about so many success stories. Ever thought about getting a second opinion on this? My heart just breaks for you. I wish there was something I could do for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers, and if there is anything I can do, please email me.

If you are struggling with foods (besides the normal problems with fibrous veggies, steak or bread) like if you can't eat chicken or fish your band is probably too tight. If you are doing all the right things - chewing your food to goo, not drinking while you are eating, avoiding high calorie liquid/soft foods but are still having PBing problems, then something isn't right.

I know this isn't a cake walk and we all have our struggles, but we are all here for each other. I have my own struggles and you guys are all so great. I try to keep my own personal issues off the forum because I'm walking a fine line of personal/professional, but I'm here for you, to answer questions, be a shoulder or a moving target :blink: when you are upset. Let me know if there is anything I can do!

This is my last post in the forum for a while. I'm taking a break from the band and from the boards. This surgery and fills have left me in near financial ruin and am working extra shifts just to try to keep my head above water to get the bills paid from month to month. I financed my surgery, airfare, and fills on credit card and it would be so bad if I were reaping the rewards of loosing weight, but here I am post op 5 months and I've not lost any weight in more than 2 months. I am sitting at 210lbs... just 5lbs from the 215lbs the day of surgery. I am beyond tears ... I wish I'd never ruined my body in this way! I cannot afford to fly back to TJ ... I'm tapped out. I've gone from excited, hopfeful, and full of enthusiasm to depressed, defeated and feeling like a failure. I don't have anything positive to add to the board anymore. I'm sick of blaming myself and wondering what I've done to have failed so miserably. When I am able financially, I am going to try to find a bariatric surgeon closer to home for some type of aftercare to see what I can do to improve my situation. Best wishes to all of you.

Chelley:

If you check this again just wanted to say so sorry for all your frustrations - I've been there and know a bit of what you are talking about - we all wish you the best and I hope you will get the results you want one day soon.

Chelley,

In case you do go on line, I wanted to write. I feel like I have always known you and have thought that my experience parallels yours. I only wish you the best and hope that somehow, you will find success. It makes me angry that we are nurses and help people all the time, but insurance isn't there to help us get the help we need.

I have now been banded for two months and have lost 20 pounds (50 more to go), but haven't lost anything in the past 2 weeks. My first real plateau. I was banded 3 weeks ago, had no restriction and then back again last week to have the band checked. The band did not leak, but the doctor increased the fill from 4 cc to 5 cc. I really haven't noticed much of a difference. I think that part of my problem is that I am expecting to feel full, instead of feeling satisfied. Also, still not exercising...something I must face.

Curious. I need some encouragement. I would love to hear someone's success story. Lori, are you losing weight?

Sheila

Update and Insights:

I've scheduled an appointment in October to see a surgeon in Dallas, TX regarding my band. I really did make every effort to return to TJ, but simply cannot afford it at this time. I'd like to caution all you future lapbanders to please keep in mind that you do need funds available for aftercare and if trips back to TJ are not within your budget to please carefully research bariatric surgeons in your area for your aftercare. Just because I was banded in Mexico ... regardless of the fact Dr. Ortiz is the BEST and is highly respected among lap band surgeons, I was turned down by several bariatric surgeons in my area because they only provide aftercare for the patients they have banded. The radiology group I was using for fills under fluro in Paris, TX were excellent, but they do not provide aftercare and are not bariatric surgeons (as Dr. Ortiz pointed out in my telephone conference with him a few weeks ago). I am having complications and need the advice of a surgeon. I also need the support of an aftercare program.

I've licked my wounds, so to speak, and have been trying to understand why I am not loosing weight with my band. I feel that I messed up when I was so darn impatient with getting restriction and had two fills back to back in June. Considering I've PB'd daily since that last banding, Dr. Ortiz feels the 3rd fill made me too tight and the subsequent PB'ing has left me inflammed. Most recently, I've had periods of being able to eat a considerable amount more than I should which suggests that I may have pouch dilation. The course of action Dr. Ortiz recommended was an evaluation of the band and based upon that evaluation I may need a complete unfill, let the band rest, then start back with fills ... at a slower pace. Worse case senario is that my band has slipped and the correction is surgical ... which scares me to death because I do not have the resources for surgical correction.

Now that I've digested (no pun intended) that bit of news I've had a lot of time to consider that I am not eating per the guidelines. I have to be honest with myself and this is very hard to admit, but I have been so excited to have my blood sugar levels under control that I've been eating sweets on occassion ... a bite of ice cream, a bite of blackberry cobbler, a taste of chocolate cake. While taking insulin I was very strict with my diet and did not indulge in eating any sweets or drinking sugary juices or sodas. With the band controlling my caloric intake, my blood sugar levels have normalized and I have in a way felt like a bird out of the cage and have indulged. I have also been making soft food choices. I don't like to be in the kitchen much since I am a single gal and it is not economical to prepare a full meal for one. It is easier to eat a cup of yogurt, open a can of raviolis, or heat up a can or soup or chili which are all soft food choices. I'm going to take the advice of a friend on the forum and try the prepared tv dinners ... there are some really healthy ones out there and they control portions ... perfect for a single gal on a budget.

I've also decided to try to get some exercise in. I really hate to sweat... I mean I REALLY hate it! I have converted my spare bedroom into a mini gym with all the exercise equipment I've bought over the years that served only as clothes racks. Don't laugh ... you all know what I'm talking about! :P

And Lori ... the fridge is well stocked with bottled water ... and yes, I do drink it! :D

I've posted this before and I think it is worth mentioning again. False expectations are a form of self sabatoge. I really thought by Halloween I'd been looking great and expected a miraculous weight loss. The disappointment in not reaching a goal I had set for myself has been difficult. I am an over acheiver in every aspect of my life, except when it comes to mastering my weight issue. I was not prepared, although I thought I was, for the battle after surgery with emotional eating. I'm so incredibly hard on myself and when things are out of my control, I want to eat to comfort myself. It's hard cycle to break, but I am trying. I'm hanging in there.

Chelley

Chelley,

I am so glad to see you back on this board, and with some hope. I hope all goes well with your appointment, and that Dr. Ortiz solution is all you need (Hope band hasn't slipped). I know that for many people, this journey is not as easy as for others. I hope that mine will be one of the easy ones, but it has been very encouraging to see your perserverance and frustration with the band. It is very hard to make good food choices with the band, there is still so much that is not as good, ie soft foods. It is hard to make the best decisions. I admire your determination. Don't beat yourself up. Despite your lack of great success yet, you have managed to lose some weight and keep it off, and the rest of the weight coming off is still a very real posibility. You are much healthier now than you were before, and ultimately, health matters most. The slower it goes, the more lessons you learn now. And I know I am learning lessons from you. thanks again for sharing your struggles, you may just help the rest of us avoid them.

Becki

hi chelley,

i hope your out come is a postive one . i was banded on 8/11/06 just got back from tj for my first fill

on 8/23/06. i have 6 kids & a husband that is like taking care 6 more kids . i am a emotional eater & stress

has got the best of me lately . i went to my doctor & he put me on a med. to help me deal with stress & not to eat because of emotions. so far so good . you know everyone wants to lose alot of weight fast . but the truth is slower is better . i have alot of weight to lose and saturday at my fill appt. a lady was there who had lost 150 pounds in a year . i asked her her secret she said good food choices in small amounts & she walked 3miles everyday. she was a sign from god to me . i hope best for you & good luck in the future

slm

pre-op weight -336

banded 8/11/06- 318

9/25/06 weight -302

Chelley,

I am so happy to hear from you and am so sorry that you have had such a hard time. I have been filled twice since I was banded on July 14th. One fill was under fluoroscopy and one was a "blind fill" because I just couldn't afford all the money of the fluoroscopy. I haven't lost one pound in the past 3 weeks and am beginning to freak. I do not have any Pbing and have not yet learned that I do not feel full, but feel satisfied...a real difference.

Like you, I hate exercise and am so tired from really long days at work. I know that the evenings I go for a 1 mile walk, I do feel better and more energized, but that means getting back in the house about 9:30 pm to start my home chores. I need to make more time for me and that is hard.

Luckily, I found a bariatric surgeon who was willing to do after care for me (he was trained by Dr. Ortiz). This Thursday I will be going to my first Support Group meeting there and hope that I will get some help with getting on the right track.

You are right about false expectations. I read all the testimonials about people who lost weight pretty well, and I thought I would look great by Christmas. I think I have to alter my expectations and work harder.

I always wish you good luck. Keep writing.

Sheila

Chelley, it is GREAT to hear from you. Soft foods are the worst. It's interesting... if the food is too much or two difficult to pass through the band, you PB. If the food is too soft, you don't get full. It's really hard to find where you are for your fill level. For me, I try to eat as "difficult" of food as I can, just short of a PB. Those frozen dinners will really help. I'm able to eat the diet pizza, and it is one of the most satisfying things I eat. I have to do it REALLY slow or I hurt. But I really get full, and really enjoy it. I have a whole freezer full of micro diet dinners, which helps with my busy schedule. They cook as fast as soup, and actually work with the band!

I still hope you can find someone in TX, but I really wish you luck. You have a lot of support here, and again, feel free to contact me any time.

Does anyone else suffer from fall allergies? This is my first bout with my allergies post band and let me just say it ain't pretty to PB on your own sinus drainage .... ewwwww. (Another indicator that I am possibly too tight with my band.) I'm very sensitive to ragweed and cedar, both of which are in high concentrations in my region of the world right now.

I lost 3 pounds this week by .......... shhhhhh ................ working out. Maybe my metabolism slowed to slug pace since my body thinks it is starving to death. :P Anyway, I was inspired by Janet Jackson who appeared on Oprah this week and showed some of her workout routine. I was suprised that she used the power ball and a workout cord that has two handles on it. I found both of these items at my local WalMart for about $18 total. I didn't actually sweat (hate that), but I did get my heart rate up and it was fun just bouncing on the ball in front of the AC while I was watching tv.

To help with my portions and to try to eat a more rounded meal, I've been sampling different frozen dinners. I have to say there are some really good ones out there now. Sometimes I can't eat a whole one depending on what it is, but I rarely have room for anything fresh at the same sitting so I'm eating my fruit and fresh veggies as a snack. I get hungry about every 3 hours. Sometimes I ignore the hunger and push through telling myself that my tummy rumbling is a signal that my body is ready to eat my fat reserves .. but when it gets so loud I'm uncomfortable and I can't think (especially at work) I try to eat a few bites of something.

I'm anxious to have my consult in October and hope this Dallas, TX doctor is good. I regard Dr. Ortiz as the BEST and I really wish I could afford to go back to TJ for aftercare, but it is out of my budget.

Chelley,

It is great to have you back on the forum again :)

I am really sorry you aren't able to head back to Dr. Ortiz for follow-up care. Once you see your (more) local doctor, I'd really like you to email me, or Dr. Ortiz with that doctors recommendation.

I'm really hoping and praying that all you need is an unfill and maybe some time on liquids to allow your stomach to heal.

Please keep us all posted :) I really think I should start signing off as Lori the Water Girl! hahahaha

Guest ladybug

"but I did get my heart rate up and it was fun just bouncing on the ball in front of the AC while I was watching tv."

Chelley,

No matter what the subject, you always make me laugh out loud!

Good luck with your October consult. We are all rooting for you!

ladybug

• 2 weeks later...

I had my consult today for a band evaluation with a doctor in Dallas, TX who does aftercare for patients who have been banded in Mexico. Since I've been having difficulty with PB'ing daily, not loosing weight, and having lost 1/2 the volume of my hair ... they decided to do a barium swallow before accessing my port just to see where I was with restriction. The doc was suprised ... he said it looked like I have good restriction and did not recommend any changes. Just to be sure, he printed copies of my exam and recommended I share them with Dr. Ortiz. I promptly scanned the images on my computer and have emailed them to Dr. Ortiz. I AM SO FRUSTRATED I could throw myself on the bed and scream into the pillow for days!!!!! Actually, I'm happy to see I haven't damaged my stomach ... but I just don't understand why I can't loose weight. Oh well, we'll see what Dr. Ortiz thinks. I'll keep you posted. Chelley

Thanks for posting Chelley, I was thinking about you today and wondering when you appointment was. I will be interested to see what Dr. Ortiz thinks. I sure hope you can get things figured out. I'm sorry for your struggles. Good luck, and let us know what Dr. Ortiz says.

Becki

Dr. Ortiz responded to my e-mail in less than 12 hours of me sending my barium swallow pictures. I'm very appreciative that he is willing to help me even though I cannot afford to fly back and forth to TJ for aftercare at the OCC. He certainly has no obligation to me other than he'd like to see me succeed and for that I am very grateful.

Dr. Ortiz said my band is in good position but the upper pouch is a little bit larger than normal. He asked me some questions as to what solids I can eat and if I am tolerating liquids and I did reply back. I'll let you know what his recommendation are.

I think I still eat too fast and too much even though it feels I'm eating less than 1/3 of what I could pre-band. Keeping a food journal is an eye openner as to what you are actually putting in your mouth. As a nurse working a busy shift in a hospital you learn to gobble your food because you eat between meeting patient requests. Nurses just don't get an uninterupted lunch break. Those habits are hard to break. In addition, it is a stressful environment and my stomach is often tense. Trying to shovel food into a tense tummy with the motto chew fast swallow slow doesn't work. Emotional eating is certainly a part of it. There are many times I find I have room for food when I'm not hungry but I'm bored, sad, or lonesome.

My sister has had good success with her band and has lost about 60-65lbs since April. As of late, when we dine together I've observed what she eats compared to what I eat and there is a big difference. My sister eats in spoonfuls - a bite size portion of meat, a spoon of beans, a spoon of potatoes and then rarely finishes what is on her plate. I'm eating 2-3 times the volume she is. She stops at that first sign that she is full... I continue until I PB then go back and eat some more. I know... shame, shame on me. Oh well, they say confession is good for the soul. :lol:

These are hard lessons to learn and it is easy to wallow in failure, but I'm determined to keep trying and start using the band as a tool.

Chelley