Emotional Eating

:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone! I just returned home from a fantastic spring break. I was able to really eat since I had an unfill before I left - I had nothing in my band for 2 weeks and did I over eat. I did come to a conclusioin though. I found myself eating in my car. It was so easy to stop and get something to subside the slightest urge of hunger. I realized that when I eat in a car, my mind doesnt register that that was a meal. Like it didnt count because I wasnt sitting at a table. I know it sounds silly, but thinking back before I lost most of my weight, I ate at least one meal in my car while driving and still had the three meals a day at home. I am so glad to have my fill again. When I was on vacation, I couldnt believe how uncomfortable I was. Certain foods like bread are really not good for your body. I was very very uncomfortable and tired after I ate a full meal. The good news.... I love this band. I eat healthier, enjoy life more, and have more energy that I ever did with a "full" stomach.

:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone! I just returned home from a fantastic spring break. I was able to really eat since I had an unfill before I left - I had nothing in my band for 2 weeks and did I over eat. I did come to a conclusioin though. I found myself eating in my car. It was so easy to stop and get something to subside the slightest urge of hunger. I realized that when I eat in a car, my mind doesnt register that that was a meal. Like it didnt count because I wasnt sitting at a table. I know it sounds silly, but thinking back before I lost most of my weight, I ate at least one meal in my car while driving and still had the three meals a day at home. I am so glad to have my fill again. When I was on vacation, I couldnt believe how uncomfortable I was. Certain foods like bread are really not good for your body. I was very very uncomfortable and tired after I ate a full meal. The good news.... I love this band. I eat healthier, enjoy life more, and have more energy that I ever did with a "full" stomach.

hey Mary1234 I am new with the Band thing (being banded May 5) once you get to or close to your desired weight, you can have them take out the saline? Do you do this because of the vacation or just that you are close to your desired wt? I did not understand that part of it. I guess I have a lot more to learn.

The reason I had my fill taken out was my choice. I had asked the doctor 3 months ahead of time to see if it was possible. I was approaching my goal weight and knew that I would be out of the country for a vacation. The types of food that would be available to me I knew I could not tolerate with my band. The doctor did not see a problem with the unfill. When my band is empty I have no resriction unlike many bandsters. I believe I will always have saline in my band even as I reach my goal weight. It is a tool not only to loose weight but to keep the weight off once you reach your goal. I am still considered a new bandster. It has only been 1 year and I learn something new from this forum everyday.

The reason I had my fill taken out was my choice. I had asked the doctor 3 months ahead of time to see if it was possible. I was approaching my goal weight and knew that I would be out of the country for a vacation. The types of food that would be available to me I knew I could not tolerate with my band. The doctor did not see a problem with the unfill. When my band is empty I have no resriction unlike many bandsters. I believe I will always have saline in my band even as I reach my goal weight. It is a tool not only to loose weight but to keep the weight off once you reach your goal. I am still considered a new bandster. It has only been 1 year and I learn something new from this forum everyday.

I hope my surgery goes as well as yours! I am so excited--little scared too. I too am an emotional eater! I use to think that if I could not eat in the car that would be a great start! It was my time alone to eat whatever I wanted and then too, I went home fixed dinner and ate a normal dinner (mine and whatever anyone thought they were going to throw out) What a closet eater I am! Hopefully this will help me feel full. It is like I am a bottomless pit! So does the band really work telling you that you are at the stopping point...full?

I guess the reason I am scared is mostly being put to sleep and then having problems when I get back home. A almost went with another place in Mexico and when they called me and heard that I was going somewhere else they were trying to scare me to stay in the states. But when I stated that Dr Ortiz was doing my surgery they did say that he was a good doctor.

So what should I expect the first week, then the 2nd week? Will I be able to go back to Tuesday after my surgery on a Friday?

Thank You -

KurlyQ "being banded May 5"

I hope my surgery goes as well as yours! I am so excited--little scared too. I too am an emotional eater! I use to think that if I could not eat in the car that would be a great start! It was my time alone to eat whatever I wanted and then too, I went home fixed dinner and ate a normal dinner (mine and whatever anyone thought they were going to throw out) What a closet eater I am! Hopefully this will help me feel full. It is like I am a bottomless pit! So does the band really work telling you that you are at the stopping point...full?

I guess the reason I am scared is mostly being put to sleep and then having problems when I get back home. A almost went with another place in Mexico and when they called me and heard that I was going somewhere else they were trying to scare me to stay in the states. But when I stated that Dr Ortiz was doing my surgery they did say that he was a good doctor.

So what should I expect the first week, then the 2nd week? Will I be able to go back to Tuesday after my surgery on a Friday?

Thank You -

KurlyQ "being banded May 5"

Hey Cutiekel, I see you are viewing post. I also see that you were banded recently. I am considering being banded and was wonder how you are feeling and if you can tell me the good and the bad of your experiences?????

Hi KurlyQ, I am so excited for you and your upcoming surgery. I feel so fortunate that my surgery went with such ease. I had the surgery on Thursday and was back to work on Monday. No problems for me at all. I have 2.5 cc in my band right now. Thats pretty full. I can eat very little, as a few bites fill me up right away. It just feels like there is no room for anything else to go in. Not so much that your full in the bottom of your stomach, but its the "pressure". You do feel full though, my desire to take one more bite is gone. Remember when you would go out to a restaurant and eat and you really fill up and then you wonder if you should have dessert too - well you order dessert too and by the time you are done eating your almost miserable. Thats the feeling of full for me. What I keep an eye on now is when I hit my "sweet spot" i.e. (runny nose, shoulder pain, hiccups), its really awesome how you get to know your body after this surgery. Like I said before, I too am learning every day. Please keep me informed of how things go- This forum will only encourage you, its like having a doctor on call 24/7. There is a bandster called JennaR - I really enjoy reading her post. She is very knowledgeable, so watch for some of hers. Keep us informed on how things go!

Hey Cutiekel, I see you are viewing post. I also see that you were banded recently. I am considering being banded and was wonder how you are feeling and if you can tell me the good and the bad of your experiences?????

Hi There Sony, I was banded on 4/13 and to be completely honest, at this point I have not had any bad experiences -- only good. I was banded on a Thursday and since I live only 1 1/2 hours from TJ, I opted to go home after my stay at the surgical center instead of staying an additional day at the hotel. The new surgical center is beautiful and they give superior care!! I went back to work the following Monday and with the exception of some pain below my port incision but nothing horrific and it gets better every day. I was not hungry for the first week and right about the time I was getting so hungry I could not sleep, I could add yogurt :).

I researched this quite a bit prior to going to see Dr Ortiz, I bought his book and let my family read it as well. There was great information in it. Since I have a lower BMI --33, there are few doctors that would do it here in CA however, I did find one that would but he was charging twice as much and had 1/10th the experience as Dr. Ortiz.

There is not one day that I have regretted my choice and would do it again in a hot second. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Kelli

i am truly an emotional eater. i have been trying to pay attention to it the last couple of days and notice that when i am bored or upset at home is the worst. do you think it would be smart to try to start the diet now i am having my surgery in 3 weeks

Hi There Sony, I was banded on 4/13 and to be completely honest, at this point I have not had any bad experiences -- only good. I was banded on a Thursday and since I live only 1 1/2 hours from TJ, I opted to go home after my stay at the surgical center instead of staying an additional day at the hotel. The new surgical center is beautiful and they give superior care!! I went back to work the following Monday and with the exception of some pain below my port incision but nothing horrific and it gets better every day. I was not hungry for the first week and right about the time I was getting so hungry I could not sleep, I could add yogurt :).

I researched this quite a bit prior to going to see Dr Ortiz, I bought his book and let my family read it as well. There was great information in it. Since I have a lower BMI --33, there are few doctors that would do it here in CA however, I did find one that would but he was charging twice as much and had 1/10th the experience as Dr. Ortiz.

There is not one day that I have regretted my choice and would do it again in a hot second. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Kelli

hi, I have never posted to a message board before so please be patient with me. I wanted to say that I am also having surgery on May 25th and started the pre-op diet on May 2nd. I have a BMI of 54. So far I have lost 6.5 lbs. I am to follow the induction phase of Atkins for two weeks then a liquid diet for the week before my surgery. Those were specific instructions told to me by Gabriela the nutritionalist. I too am an emotional eater but so far this has been going ok. I want this surgery more than anything and that includes food! If I continued down the path I was following I was going to die and I want to do everything I can to make sure that this surgery is successful. One thing that I did was to reach out to Gabriela, I did not wait for her to call me, I wanted to get started. You may try calling her.

:) thanks for the info. i can not wait till my surgery and i will see you there i think i should talk to the nutritionist and see what i can start now. maybe i will see you there

hi, I have never posted to a message board before so please be patient with me. I wanted to say that I am also having surgery on May 25th and started the pre-op diet on May 2nd. I have a BMI of 54. So far I have lost 6.5 lbs. I am to follow the induction phase of Atkins for two weeks then a liquid diet for the week before my surgery. Those were specific instructions told to me by Gabriela the nutritionalist. I too am an emotional eater but so far this has been going ok. I want this surgery more than anything and that includes food! If I continued down the path I was following I was going to die and I want to do everything I can to make sure that this surgery is successful. One thing that I did was to reach out to Gabriela, I did not wait for her to call me, I wanted to get started. You may try calling her.

Hi KurlyQ, I am so excited for you and your upcoming surgery. I feel so fortunate that my surgery went with such ease. I had the surgery on Thursday and was back to work on Monday. No problems for me at all. I have 2.5 cc in my band right now. Thats pretty full. I can eat very little, as a few bites fill me up right away. It just feels like there is no room for anything else to go in. Not so much that your full in the bottom of your stomach, but its the "pressure". You do feel full though, my desire to take one more bite is gone. Remember when you would go out to a restaurant and eat and you really fill up and then you wonder if you should have dessert too - well you order dessert too and by the time you are done eating your almost miserable. Thats the feeling of full for me. What I keep an eye on now is when I hit my "sweet spot" i.e. (runny nose, shoulder pain, hiccups), its really awesome how you get to know your body after this surgery. Like I said before, I too am learning every day. Please keep me informed of how things go- This forum will only encourage you, its like having a doctor on call 24/7. There is a bandster called JennaR - I really enjoy reading her post. She is very knowledgeable, so watch for some of hers. Keep us informed on how things go!

I was just reading your post and I was hoping you could offer some advice. I have had my band since November and lost about 28 lbs. I had 2 fills and one slight unfill. However, I feel that i am sick all the time. I throw up or PB at least every other day. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong, if i haven't learned how to live with the band, or if the band is too tight. Plus, I haven't lost any weight in a while and I don't understand why because I hardly eat and when I do eat I rarely keep it down. I know of those sweet spots you wrote of. However, for me the sweet spots are really late signals and by that time I know I am going to be sick. Feeling a little discouraged and will probably call Dr. Ortiz just for a check up.

-sea

Had my surgery in December, it is the very best thing I've done for me in 25 years. I would mortgage my home if I had to have it done again. Cannot say enough good about the band. For years had dieted over and over to lose 5 lbs!!! Had let weight control my life. The band is giving me my life back. You do have to change your eating style, sometimes this is a pain, but then you slip on something that hasn't fit in years, and wow!

I have had 0 problems with the entire procedure.