Another Newbie ;-)

Hi there,

Just set my appoinment for surgery on April 28, 2008 and I am soooooooo excited!

I followed all of your conversations on here for the past two weeks and I have to say I already love it!

You are all so supportive and I have learned so many things about the band and the experiences and also found tons of answers to my questions & concerns. It all helped me with my desicion with OCC instead of going home to Germany for the procedere ...

Anyways just wanted so say hello to everybody :-h

P.S. is any one a smoker and has some advice about the "two weeks not smoking" rule ??

Willi333/Ute from Atlanta GA

Hi there,

Just set my appoinment for surgery on April 28, 2008 and I am soooooooo excited!

I followed all of your conversations on here for the past two weeks and I have to say I already love it!

You are all so supportive and I have learned so many things about the band and the experiences and also found tons of answers to my questions & concerns. It all helped me with my desicion with OCC instead of going home to Germany for the procedere ...

Anyways just wanted so say hello to everybody :-h

P.S. is any one a smoker and has some advice about the "two weeks not smoking" rule ??

Willi333/Ute from Atlanta GA

Hi Willi333,

I am a smoker and was told that they recommend you quit prior to surgery and during the healing process...I would like to think that will be possible...but not eating and also not smoking...may result in homicide!! LOL!!

I have had a previous cosmetic surgery (breast reduction) and was told the same thing...I cut down prior to surgery and afterwards and all went well.

I am sure other smokers and non-smokers will be providing their feedback and ultimately it's your decision for your health and of course doctor's orders.

Best of Luck with your surgery. I have my first consult on April 23/08 in Mississauga ON Canada. I am getting excited as well.

Take care Cathy (Kittycat)

Hi Willi,

I plan this whole thing in a week, so I did not have 2 weeks to quit smoking. My band date is April 8th.

Considering my BMI, the cardiologist said that one week would be enough.... I totally feel you... I have been smoking for a long time and the thought of quitting terrified me. Although I am having difficult time, the first day was the hardest for me. I am on day 3 now.

I think the safe thing is to quit.... it has to do with your lung capacity and the ability to heal after the surgery. Why take a chance?

I know it is tough, but you can do it!!! =D> YOU CAN DO IT!!!! ><'

I will be here rooting for you!!! ><'

Lynn

Welcome and good luck!! =D>

I may get some heat for this, but here goes. Yikes. :lol:

I may be weak, but I could not find it possible to quit smoking on my pre-op diet. I bought everything over the counter to help me and it just didn't work. I managed to cut back alot and actually smoked right up until my surgery. I am still smoking at 5 days post-op, but only what I have to have a day.

Good luck with everything! You will be fine. The OCC is the BEST!

Hi Kitticat,

:ph34r: You are right! That was my first thought ... Not too long ago, I was thinking about to stop smoking (to do the right thing for my health), unfortunately my ability to be consistent as far as "quit smoking" goes, is the same with the eating LOL. Hence the weight problem ....

I will just bite the bullet and do the best I can :rolleyes:

Hi Willi,

I plan this whole thing in a week, so I did not have 2 weeks to quit smoking. My band date is April 8th.

Considering my BMI, the cardiologist said that one week would be enough.... I totally feel you... I have been smoking for a long time and the thought of quitting terrified me. Although I am having difficult time, the first day was the hardest for me. I am on day 3 now.

I think the safe thing is to quit.... it has to do with your lung capacity and the ability to heal after the surgery. Why take a chance?

I know it is tough, but you can do it!!! =D> YOU CAN DO IT!!!! ><'

I will be here rooting for you!!! ><'

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

and thank you so much for the advise an hat's up =D> -> day 3 <- that is great!

After setting the date and hanging up the phone, I said to my hubby I wished I would have get the appointment ... like ... tomorrow ROFL I thought the pre op diet will be the killer, but now without a smoke ???? I hope I will not turn into a monster :unsure:

Hi Kimmie,

thanks for the welcome and the honesty ;-)

I guess I will start cutting down as much as I can (4 weeks to go) and who knows .. maybe I make it :-?

But knowing myself ... it's going to be way harder than the dieting!

I see Dr. Martinez was the winner to do the surgery? He will do mine too.

Ute

Yes, I never even met Dr. Ortiz! Martinez was very nice though. I wouldn't have changed it for the world!

Hi Kitticat,

:ph34r: You are right! That was my first thought ... Not too long ago, I was thinking about to stop smoking (to do the right thing for my health), unfortunately my ability to be consistent as far as "quit smoking" goes, is the same with the eating LOL. Hence the weight problem ....

I will just bite the bullet and do the best I can :rolleyes:

Newbie, that's all you can do, making the decision to have the band surgery is huge!!! It's life changing and the stress and changes your life and body with go through are huge!! Quitting smoking is recommended, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. I plan to cut down before surgery and after surgery, but I can't say that I will quit. I know what I can manage and I realistically can't do both at the same time. I would either be charged with murder or end up divorced.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do...we are all here to support you!! Cathy (Kittycat)

Newbie, that's all you can do, making the decision to have the band surgery is huge!!! It's life changing and the stress and changes your life and body with go through are huge!! Quitting smoking is recommended, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. I plan to cut down before surgery and after surgery, but I can't say that I will quit. I know what I can manage and I realistically can't do both at the same time. I would either be charged with murder or end up divorced.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do...we are all here to support you!! Cathy (Kittycat)

That's what I am planning on doing ;-) I just love life & hubby way to much to get locked up LOL

We bothe will do the best we can, if it works ... great, right ?

That's what I am planning on doing ;-) I just love life & hubby way to much to get locked up LOL

We bothe will do the best we can, if it works ... great, right ?

Absolutely, as you have read over the past couple of weeks, this road we are about to get on is not always a smooth one..there are bumps and pot holes and twists and turns. We will manage the best we can. My priority is getting through the pre-op and post-op periods with the new band.

My husband is very supportive of any decision I choose and although I wish I could quit smoking as well, I am realistic and know that I just can manage both at the same time.

I am so excited for you...just 25 days to go!!

Talk to you soon, Willi333!!