what to eat, what not to eat...that is the question...

I was banded on 3/26 so I have a ways to go before solids. For some odd reason, I am doing FINE with all liquid. No cravings...yet. During my meeting with Dr. Miranda, she told me the "ouch" foods were bread, bagels, flour tortillas and sticky rice. Can an experienced bander tell me if we can have pasta, couscous, regular rice and other types of carbs without having negative outcomes? I have heard that corn tortillas/chips and toasted bread or melba toast works fine....just trying to figure out my limitations without finding out the hard way! Thanks all!!!

I was banded on 3/26 so I have a ways to go before solids. For some odd reason, I am doing FINE with all liquid. No cravings...yet. During my meeting with Dr. Miranda, she told me the "ouch" foods were bread, bagels, flour tortillas and sticky rice. Can an experienced bander tell me if we can have pasta, couscous, regular rice and other types of carbs without having negative outcomes? I have heard that corn tortillas/chips and toasted bread or melba toast works fine....just trying to figure out my limitations without finding out the hard way! Thanks all!!!

Basically, the problem foods are anything doughy that will turn into a glutinous mass and block the stoma. That will usually include pasta, but rice isn't so bad. You will just have to experiment and see what gives you problems. Everyone has problems with different foods, and even with the same foods at different times. The biggest problem to my mind with white carbs is their low nutritional value. As you will be eating less, you should concentrate on higher nutrient foods. That doesn't mean you can't have a bite of mashed potatoes from time to time, but they shouldn't be a staple of your diet.