8 days post op with no restriction?

I had my surgery on 3/27/08 and for the past 3 days I feel no restriction what so ever. Is this ok? Can I get a fill at 3 weeks because I know if i wait 6 weeks I will gain back the 18lbs that I have lost. Please let me know if any one else has gone through this. Thanks

That's perfectly normal. Your swelling has gone down which is desirable. You're not going to feel any restriction until you get your first or second fill. Don't worry about your weight loss at this point, just worry about healing and getting better. Even though your swelling has gone down, you're still not ready for a fill. Your body will create a sort of shell around the band (or any foreign body which is inside of you) and this shell will help hold the band in place so it does not slip. If you start messing with things by going off the post-op diet early or getting a fill too soon and the shell has not yet formed, you can possibly cause a slip. Just be patient, take a deep breath, and schedule your first fill for 6 weeks out.

Many people will gain weight between their surgery and their first fill and it is to be expected. If you obsess over your weight you will only torture yourself unnecessarily.

I haven't been banded yet, but I'm sure this time is for you to focus on healing, not losing weight. I know it's a concern for everyone, but your job right now is to make sure your body has time to adjust to this new object. I can't even imagine any doctor, much less the ones in Mexico, actually giving anyone a fill this soon after surgery. Just take it easy and you'll be fine! I wish you the best.

Alana

Sorry to hear about your issues, but I'm not sure that you really know that you have NO restriction until you attempt solid foods which is still 2 weeks away fr you. I did shakes for almost the entire 3 weeks post op and for the first week I could only drink 1/2 cup at a time, by week 2 I was able to drink 1 cup with no issueos so I also thought that maybe I had lost restriction. Then after week 3 when I went for my first "real" post-op meal I could only eat 1/4 cup of salad before I was full...

As of Friday I am at 5 weeks post op and now I really do feel like I have lost all restriction (which as Clynn said is totally normal) and that proves to me that what I was feeling back in week 2 was all in my head, so I will be ready for my fill on the 18th! So really don't worry for now that you have lost restriction wait till the solid food phase and if by week 3 you have lost restriction then you will just have to try your best to eat like you do have restriction until the 6week mark when your body is healed enough for your first fill!

It will be fine!!

Hey girl!

Just try to stay on your liquids and drink as much as you want. That is what my friends are doing that were banded with me. Stay strong!!