Eating around the band

The band is designed to restrict SOLIDS, eating around the band means someone is consuming foods that are high in fat and calories that can slip though the band. Examples are Mashed potatoes, Milkshakes, chocolate bars and other unhealthy foods of a similar consistency

Thanks MammaMichelle so much especially the hint on the mashed potatoes. I would never have guessed they would slip through and of course I am such a good southern girl liking my steak and potatoes. Everybody is so helpful. I am excited to get on solid foods and change my life...prove to myself that I can do it.

Thanks MammaMichelle so much especially the hint on the mashed potatoes. I would never have guessed they would slip through and of course I am such a good southern girl liking my steak and potatoes. Everybody is so helpful. I am excited to get on solid foods and change my life...prove to myself that I can do it.

I'm from the south also (born in GA raised in TX) so I am a mashed potato junkie too. And it doesn't mean you can NEVER have them again, Dr. Miranda's advice is to eat your protein first (steak, chicken, fish) then eat your veggies and only after you have finished those (and only if you are still hungry) can you move on to the starches (rice, potatoes, pastas). So all hope isn't lost, lol!

That is very true! I am a Texan to heart too, haha. Yes I think that is great advice and I think even without a band if I would have followed it I would have been better off!

Thanks so much you are truly an inspiration! You look great!

I'm from the south also (born in GA raised in TX) so I am a mashed potato junkie too. And it doesn't mean you can NEVER have them again, Dr. Miranda's advice is to eat your protein first (steak, chicken, fish) then eat your veggies and only after you have finished those (and only if you are still hungry) can you move on to the starches (rice, potatoes, pastas). So all hope isn't lost, lol!

Did I see STEAK!!! And I thought I would never have steak again! I guess I would have to chew it liquid though right?

I am a Canadian meat and potatoes gal, hense the need for the band....but a nice peice of steak and a little potato would hurt once in awhile right?

You are always so helpful MamaMichelle, what we do without you!!??

Take care, Cathy

Did I see STEAK!!! And I thought I would never have steak again! I guess I would have to chew it liquid though right?

I am a Canadian meat and potatoes gal, hense the need for the band....but a nice peice of steak and a little potato would hurt once in awhile right?

You are always so helpful MamaMichelle, what we do without you!!??

Take care, Cathy

One of the mysteries of the band is you never know what will and will not pass through until you try it, we used to have filet mignon every other week and I miss it so but I haven't yet tested it with the band because I am afraid I will never going to be able to eat it again!! The tips I have heard about eating steak, or even dry chicken is to start with a tiny bite, think the size of a pencil eraser... not much bigger than this ><' lol and yes chew chew chew!! I am getting my first fill in 10 days so I'm sure I will try it before then, I'll let you know how it goes Cathy!

I have had steak recently at a wedding. I haven't had any problems as long as I chew it every well. I had a problem with the piece of wedding cake I ate. It felt like a lump of glue going down my throat. The hardest thing for me is not eating and drinking together.

Maytee

Wow all this information is great for those of us that will be going through this in awhile.So what happens if you drink while you are eating, I too will find this hard.We use to be told drink lots to fill up and then you eat less.

Thanks all =D>

Linda

Eating around the band can also include drinking soda which can expand the pouch. And, drnking something while you are eating pushed food through to the bottom partof the stomach, something you don't want to happen.

These are both things my sister is doing and she was banded 1/4/08 and isn't losing anymore weight because of it.

Wow all this information is great for those of us that will be going through this in awhile.So what happens if you drink while you are eating, I too will find this hard.We use to be told drink lots to fill up and then you eat less.

Thanks all =D>

Linda

While drinking a glass of water an hour BEFORE a meal is a good way to help make you feel full, drinking WITH a meal is a BIG NO NO after being banded.

Again the band is designed to restrict solids and you will be chewing these solids into very tiny pieces, if you were to take a big gulp of water it would flush out all of the food that is sitting above the band (where it's supposed to be) into the large (normal sized) part of the stomach meaning you will lose the feeling of fullness a lot sooner since you've flushed down most of the food.

In the rare instance where a large piece of food becomes "stuck" in the band, you would think that the logical thing to do is to drink water to flush it out but that is VERY WRONG... If you have a clog in your pipes the water can not move past it and it's the same thing with your band, the water will only sit on top of the "stuck food" (the clog) and the only way to move the clog is for your body to PB (aka productive burp) to try to bring the food back up so you can spit it out. Well if the food is going to be coming back up so is all that water making it a much more painful (not to mention messier) experience!!

Once you've finished your meal you can then resume drinking fluids 30-min to an hour AFTER eating!