Questions?

I am considering the Lab Band procedure and I decided to do a report for a research project for an English class (WSU) using this procedure in the hope of solving two issues at once--do I want the procedure and can I complete a satisfactory report for a class.

I would appreciate any and all responses.

I am 41 and aprox 170 pounds overweight.

My main questions are:

What do you wish you had know BEFORE the procedure?

The main thing I have noticed about Lap Band patients is that they did A LOT of research before making their decision. Is there any information missing or not available?

Any regrets?

Again, anything you have to share would be greatly appreciated.

Jean

I am considering the Lab Band procedure and I decided to do a report for a research project for an English class (WSU) using this procedure in the hope of solving two issues at once--do I want the procedure and can I complete a satisfactory report for a class.

My main questions are:

The main thing I have noticed about Lap Band patients is that they did A LOT of research before making their decision. Is there any information missing or not available?

Any regrets?

Jean

Can't really think of anything I wish I knew before, other than everything would be ok and I didn't have to spend so much time worrying. There's so much information out there from doctor's instructions and tips, to patients narratives about what happened to them, to support groups where everyone talks about their experiences openly. If you're willing to do the legwork you'll find what you're looking for. bTw, watching the commercials is NOT research. Just sayin'

No regrets, other than I didn't do it sooner, but I guess that's one of those things that builds character.

My main questions are:

Any regrets?

Jean

WISH I'd known before the proceedure??? The only wishes I had was I wished I had done it 5 years ago when it became FDA approved. INFORMATION,,,, Lots of info here at this forum and at the LAPBAND website,,, more than you want,, don't overload yourself with to much info,, you'll end up with brain freeze and you won't be able to make up your mind. LOL. ANY REGRETS,,, NONE,,,, I LUV MY BAND AND I LUV THE RESULTS!!!!

I wish I had known how easy and reassuring the whole surgery experience would be. I did go to Dr. Ortiz, after spending about a month researching, and I was treated so wonderfully there that I almost forgot that I had surgery. (Almost.) I wish clinics and hospitals in the US could make the procedure as non-tramatic as possible, similar to his clinic. A special, almost spa-like surrounding makes the whole thing so much less stressful. I wish I had known about the lap band years ago, from the minute it was available.

The main thing I have noticed about Lap Band patients is that they did A LOT of research before making their decision. Is there any information missing or not available? I was on 2 different forums and felt very informed, but there were some surprising gaps in the information. I don't believe they would like it to be common knowledge, but most doctors in the US will not do fills on any other Dr's patients, (Mention Tijuana, and you are a leper.) It is just not right that someone moving here from another country, state, or whatever cannot find a Dr. to supervise their care and fills. It is all about the almighty lawsuit, but care should be available. I wonder what has happened to patients whose doctor has died or left them? It is a difficult situation. Because of the lack of available care, Fill Centers have opened across the country, but there is a need for more. There is a LOT of information swirling out on the internet, and lots of forums, but people considering the band need to know those sites are available and lurk and learn.

I also wish I had known how AWFUL my medications taste crushed up so I can swallow them. UGH.

Any regrets?

No regrets... this is my last, best hope.

Can't really think of anything I wish I knew before, other than everything would be ok and I didn't have to spend so much time worrying. There's so much information out there from doctor's instructions and tips, to patients narratives about what happened to them, to support groups where everyone talks about their experiences openly. If you're willing to do the legwork you'll find what you're looking for. bTw, watching the commercials is NOT research. Just sayin'

No regrets, other than I didn't do it sooner, but I guess that's one of those things that builds character.

Thank you for the response.

I am glad that the lion on the commerical is not part of the procedure!

It looks as if it has been very successful for you.

Wishing you continued success.

Jean

I wish I had known how easy and reassuring the whole surgery experience would be. I did go to Dr. Ortiz, after spending about a month researching, and I was treated so wonderfully there that I almost forgot that I had surgery. (Almost.) I wish clinics and hospitals in the US could make the procedure as non-tramatic as possible, similar to his clinic. A special, almost spa-like surrounding makes the whole thing so much less stressful. I wish I had known about the lap band years ago, from the minute it was available.

The main thing I have noticed about Lap Band patients is that they did A LOT of research before making their decision. Is there any information missing or not available? I was on 2 different forums and felt very informed, but there were some surprising gaps in the information. I don't believe they would like it to be common knowledge, but most doctors in the US will not do fills on any other Dr's patients, (Mention Tijuana, and you are a leper.) It is just not right that someone moving here from another country, state, or whatever cannot find a Dr. to supervise their care and fills. It is all about the almighty lawsuit, but care should be available. I wonder what has happened to patients whose doctor has died or left them? It is a difficult situation. Because of the lack of available care, Fill Centers have opened across the country, but there is a need for more. There is a LOT of information swirling out on the internet, and lots of forums, but people considering the band need to know those sites are available and lurk and learn.

I also wish I had known how AWFUL my medications taste crushed up so I can swallow them. UGH.

Any regrets?

No regrets... this is my last, best hope.

Thank you. These are good points. It would be disappointing to have the procedure and not be able to have the band filled. I assume that you have found a fill center?

Wishing you much success,

Jean

Thank you. These are good points. It would be disappointing to have the procedure and not be able to have the band filled. I assume that you have found a fill center?

Wishing you much success,

Jean

There is one about 4 hours from me, so it is actually cheaper for me to fly to TJ than to drive, spend the night, and pay for the fill and flouroscope. I will be going to TJ for my fills.

My main questions are:

Any regrets?

Jean

I, too, did a lot of research so there is probably nothing I wished I'd have know before the procedure. Only regret.....not asking Dr. Ortiz to sign my paper panties...LOL..other than that...I haven't lost a huge amount of weight but I already feel wonderful!!!!

I have no regrets whatsoever.

The only thing I would have appreciated was more information after the procedure. I wish they would provide you with a list of what to expect (shoulder pain, constipation or diarrhea, port pain, etc.)... I was so clueless and had to scour the internet for answers. While I was treated so well by medical staff while I was there, I just wish they would consider us after we leave the clinic - send us home with some aftercare instructions!!! Please!!! LOL!

I am one of those people who didn't do ANY research. In fact, I called just to inquire if I qualified with such a low BMI, and I was scheduled for the following month. I went on the recommendation of a friend who diligently researched lap band vs. gastric bypass (she ended up with the gastric because that's all our insurance would pay for). I started looking up things, but I ended up finding all of the people who had problems with their bands (erosion, flipped ports, infections, removal, etc.) - so I stopped because I didn't want to chicken out (I'm a big baby). Some follow up instructions would have been very helpful and saved me days of worrying (why did I suddenly get port pain when I had no pain before? I haven't had a bowel movement in a week, what can I take for it?)

My main questions are:

Jean

HI JEAN

I'VE GOT ALOT OF CHOICES HERE IN WASHINGTON STATE ON WHERE TO GET FILLS AND AFTERCARE BUT I SEE FAR TO MANY PEOPLE IMO THAT HAVEN'T LOOKED AROUND BEFORE HAND. IN FACT, ONE GAL I MET IN MX HAD HER BAND TAKEN OUT WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR BECAUSE OF HER LACK OF RESEARCH PRIOR BECAUSE OF THIS.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DUCKIES IN A ROW :)

My main questions are:

No I felt very well informed!

I would imagine if someone was just researching the lap band using doctor websites and medical journals then yes I think they would find a lot of information missing, I personally believe that having the first hand accounts, stories, and suggestions from the members of a board such as this one is extremely vital to one's complete understanding of what's in store after being banded. I'll give an example if you promise to give me quotation credit in your paper (lol, totally kidding)

Here's an example of what just medical research will tell you about the 6-8 weeks after a fill (This is from a lap band handbook that is given to patients after surgery the rest can be found HERE)

When first placing it, your surgeon usually

leaves the band empty or only partially

inflated. This lets you get acquainted with

your band during the first few weeks after

surgery. It also lets healing occur around

the new band site.

These first few weeks are a critical time.

You need to avoid vomiting. You also need

to avoid putting pressure on your new

small stomach above the band. The first

time the band is adjusted is usually 4 to 6

weeks after your surgery. The exact time

will vary. You and your surgeon will decide

when the right time is for your band

adjustment.

Now when you read about those 6-8weeks on a support group forum like this one, you learn that a portion of those 6-8 weeks are sometimes called "bandster hell" because your swelling has gone down and now you are allowed to eat but since you have not had a fill you can eat like you did before being banded. I think you miss so many of the truths about the band by not reading firsthand accounts from people who have been there and done that!

Any regrets?

No I can't think of any except that I didn't do it sooner!

My main questions are:

No I felt very well informed!

I would imagine if someone was just researching the lap band using doctor websites and medical journals then yes I think they would find a lot of information missing, I personally believe that having the first hand accounts, stories, and suggestions from the members of a board such as this one is extremely vital to one's complete understanding of what's in store after being banded. I'll give an example if you promise to give me quotation credit in your paper (lol, totally kidding)

Here's an example of what just medical research will tell you about the 6-8 weeks after a fill (This is from a lap band handbook that is given to patients after surgery the rest can be found HERE)

When first placing it, your surgeon usually

leaves the band empty or only partially

inflated. This lets you get acquainted with

your band during the first few weeks after

surgery. It also lets healing occur around

the new band site.

These first few weeks are a critical time.

You need to avoid vomiting. You also need

to avoid putting pressure on your new

small stomach above the band. The first

time the band is adjusted is usually 4 to 6

weeks after your surgery. The exact time

will vary. You and your surgeon will decide

when the right time is for your band

adjustment.

Now when you read about those 6-8weeks on a support group forum like this one, you learn that a portion of those 6-8 weeks are sometimes called "bandster hell" because your swelling has gone down and now you are allowed to eat but since you have not had a fill you can eat like you did before being banded. I think you miss so many of the truths about the band by not reading firsthand accounts from people who have been there and done that!

Any regrets?

No I can't think of any except that I didn't do it sooner!

Thank you. This is very helpful and what I am looking for. I didn't want horror stories of bad surgeries, rather things that may be missing from the doctor's info before and after.

Best of luck and continued success.

Jean

HI JEAN

I'VE GOT ALOT OF CHOICES HERE IN WASHINGTON STATE ON WHERE TO GET FILLS AND AFTERCARE BUT I SEE FAR TO MANY PEOPLE IMO THAT HAVEN'T LOOKED AROUND BEFORE HAND. IN FACT, ONE GAL I MET IN MX HAD HER BAND TAKEN OUT WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR BECAUSE OF HER LACK OF RESEARCH PRIOR BECAUSE OF THIS.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR DUCKIES IN A ROW :)

Good advice.

I am in Eastern Washington (Kennewick). I am finding very limited options so far. Probably cannot use it as an excuse because I could travel easily to the Seattle area.

Thank you,

Jean

I have no regrets whatsoever.

The only thing I would have appreciated was more information after the procedure. I wish they would provide you with a list of what to expect (shoulder pain, constipation or diarrhea, port pain, etc.)... I was so clueless and had to scour the internet for answers. While I was treated so well by medical staff while I was there, I just wish they would consider us after we leave the clinic - send us home with some aftercare instructions!!! Please!!! LOL!

I am one of those people who didn't do ANY research. In fact, I called just to inquire if I qualified with such a low BMI, and I was scheduled for the following month. I went on the recommendation of a friend who diligently researched lap band vs. gastric bypass (she ended up with the gastric because that's all our insurance would pay for). I started looking up things, but I ended up finding all of the people who had problems with their bands (erosion, flipped ports, infections, removal, etc.) - so I stopped because I didn't want to chicken out (I'm a big baby). Some follow up instructions would have been very helpful and saved me days of worrying (why did I suddenly get port pain when I had no pain before? I haven't had a bowel movement in a week, what can I take for it?)

Thank you. Very good advice and exactly what I was looking for.

I am like you and would prefer not to know ALL the possible horrible things that could happen.

Wishing you continued success,

Jean