forbidden foods?

Hi sue- I am not an expierenced bandster, yet, but everyone is different. The majority of people cant eat gummy breads, or pasta- some people dont have a problem. I think a lot depends on your fill. Before I had my fill I could eat anything, but we will see what happens in the coming weeks as Im getting used to my band actually working! My fill doc said that some people have a problem with pork bc its stringy or dry chicken...it just depends. You had to really look at a pic of the band and see how it works to understand why some of those foods arent going to go down well. Just remember that you are trying to pass food thru a small hole so you need to chew well, eat slowly so it has bite has a little time to go down, and be concious of what you are eating! Good luck.

I had had no problems with acid refulx before the band. and havent had any since getting the band

I have already figured out that white bread is a big, painful pb. I have also found that I had no problems with triscuts and corn tortillas. I will learn what else is good/bad for me to swallow/eat as I go.

:-h Hi All,

I think everyones tolerance will be somewhat different. I actually had a piece of pizza last night with no problem except it took me as long to eat that one piece as it did for everyone else to finish the whole pie!!! I did have a problem with a chicken and rice dish and after two bites found something else to eat. But, for me the BIGGEST problem, pain, BP and sliming came from trying to eat on open face PB and J sandwich #-o oh well!!

Looking forward to my first fill May 1st, as I keep thinking I may be eating too much right now. Not many guidelines to go by..also, exactly how much should we be drinking once we are on regular diet? Does anyone know as I am not clear on that.

Thanx,

Arlene

Are there any foods that you can never eat again? Do any of you have problems with heart burn or acid reflux. This scares me as my husband gets it and its awful.

sue

Hi Sue,

I was banded Mar 10, and previously I had heartburn on a regular basis. There is a bottle of tums on my nighttable, beside my computer and in the kitchen. However, since being banded, I have not had it ever. I was reading dr. Ortiz's book and he says that if there is a hiatal hernia, this could be a cause of the heartburn. When he fixes it, it goes away. so this is true in my case....

as for foods, so far i seem to be able to eat everything, but I have not eaten bread. I am basically following atkins right now so I don't gain any more weight before my fill. I assume that after my fill, I will have more issues with foods.

Is your husband banded? if so, maybe there is a problem....

hth

Not many guidelines to go by..also, exactly how much should we be drinking once we are on regular diet? Does anyone know as I am not clear on that.

Thanx,

Arlene

Hi Arlene,

In Dr. Ortiz's book, Dr. Miranda's guidlines say to have at least 8 glasses of water a day. The way I plan my day, I have a cup of coffee in the morning, make my 2 egg omelet (with salsa and ham or bacon) then wait 1 hour then start drinking from my 4 cup water mug. My goal is to finish this (along with more coffee) by 11:30 am. I then make my lunch, usually a salad with tuna, chicken or beef strips, wait 1 hour and then drink another mug of water before dinner. I now have had my 8 cups. After dinner, I will maybe have another 2 cups.

Drinking water is paramount to weight loss. It helps to flush toxins through the liver.

hth

I think everyones tolerance will be somewhat different. I actually had a piece of pizza last night with no problem except it took me as long to eat that one piece as it did for everyone else to finish the whole pie!!! I did have a problem with a chicken and rice dish and after two bites found something else to eat. But, for me the BIGGEST problem, pain, BP and sliming came from trying to eat on open face PB and J sandwich #-o oh well!!

Looking forward to my first fill May 1st, as I keep thinking I may be eating too much right now. Not many guidelines to go by..also, exactly how much should we be drinking once we are on regular diet? Does anyone know as I am not clear on that.

Thanx,

Arlene

I have come sooooo close to making a PB and J sandwich like 10 times since being banded, and as much as I LOVE peanut butter I was never much of a fan of a PB&J except when I was a kid so I am thinking it is totally a head hunger craving...

I told myself if the food has the words PB (Peanut Butter) in it, then it will probably cause me to PB (productive burp).... lol

I have come sooooo close to making a PB and J sandwich like 10 times since being banded, and as much as I LOVE peanut butter I was never much of a fan of a PB&J except when I was a kid so I am thinking it is totally a head hunger craving...

I told myself if the food has the words PB (Peanut Butter) in it, then it will probably cause me to PB (productive burp).... lol

You certainly got that right!!!! It was an awful feeling. Was my one and only PBurp...hopefully my last. It is hard for my to remember small bites and really hard not to drink while eating, but I WILL LEARN!!!!!