Blood Pressure Drop?

Just banded 12 days ago, dropped 15 pounds already ( I was 323 lbs.) My blood pressure is very low suddenly, 95/45, and has stayed low for the past few days. My GP cut my evening pills and halved my morning pills. It is still low - I'm cold (a first!), dizzy, and nauseated. Anyone else experienced this? I tried to work today but came home after 7 hrs. Thanks in advance!

dee

Wow - that is a little low. How long ago did you GP decrease your meds? According to what meds you are on depends on how long it takes for the level of that med in your body to decrease. Some meds take a few days to level out in the system. On the other hand, if has been more than 2 days since he decreased your meds you may need to call back and report your BPs. It may be that the 15lbs. you lost was enough to lower your BP for good. Wouldn't that be great. Keep us posted. If you BP gets lower than 80/40 you need to go to the ER.

:lb9:

Wow - that is a little low. How long ago did you GP decrease your meds? According to what meds you are on depends on how long it takes for the level of that med in your body to decrease. Some meds take a few days to level out in the system. On the other hand, if has been more than 2 days since he decreased your meds you may need to call back and report your BPs. It may be that the 15lbs. you lost was enough to lower your BP for good. Wouldn't that be great. Keep us posted. If you BP gets lower than 80/40 you need to go to the ER.

:lb9:

Meds were decreased on Saturday. I feel like such a whiner, but I've never had low blood pressure before and am just zapped! I thought maybe part of it might be the liquid diet, such a switch for me. Don't know. Thanks for info.

dee

Hi Dee....

I'm not on any BP meds, but I have noticed while on the liquid pre-op diet my BP has dropped considerably. Mine has been hovering at 158/80 for quite a while and now since I've been losing the weight for the surgery, the last two readings were at 128/70. In my case, I have to believe it's definitely from eating better...duh...not eating at all.

But in your case a combination of the weight loss and the medication could account for the low BP. With the change in meds and continued weight loss, it should even itself out, but it's still a good idea to give your doctor frequent updates. Do you have a home BP monitor? You can always get one at Walmart or a drug store. My doctors office has no problem with me stopping in for a quick BP check to record in my chart.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barb

Hi Dee....

I'm not on any BP meds, but I have noticed while on the liquid pre-op diet my BP has dropped considerably. Mine has been hovering at 158/80 for quite a while and now since I've been losing the weight for the surgery, the last two readings were at 128/70. In my case, I have to believe it's definitely from eating better...duh...not eating at all.

But in your case a combination of the weight loss and the medication could account for the low BP. With the change in meds and continued weight loss, it should even itself out, but it's still a good idea to give your doctor frequent updates. Do you have a home BP monitor? You can always get one at Walmart or a drug store. My doctors office has no problem with me stopping in for a quick BP check to record in my chart.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barb

• 3 weeks later...