New to this site

Hi,

I'm new to this site.. I had gastric by pass in Feb. 2000. Lost 180 in one year... and by 2003 I started to gain weight back. I went back to the Surgeon who performed the surgery and he assured me it was not his fault but mine. My staples were still in tact but my stoma had stretched. I asked if anything could be re-done?? He said "No" and marked it down as a Weight Loss Failure...

I left feeling like a Failure... with no hope whatsoever. I've tried every diet imaginable... some work... but not very long. With the stretched stoma I'm hungry every couple of hours... Since Feb. 2000 I've gained back 100 pounds.. I have listened to countless people telling me the same story... Either the staple line broke or the stoma stretched and they have also gained back all or at least a significant amount of weight.

A Friend of mine recently told me she was getting the Lap Band. I had no idea you can now get the Lap Band over a failed Gastric By pass. In 2003 this was unheard of.. I researched Dr. Ortiz and he indeed does Lap Bands over failed Gastric By Pass Surgeries... This is only being done outside of the U.S.

I'm in the process of lowering my BMI to under 50 in order to qualify for the Lap Band. The surgery is more complicated due to the previous scar tissue from my old gastric by pass...

But at least there's hope for people like me.

I've lost 11 pounds in the last 2 weeks... and have 37 more to go in order to get my BMI down...

I'm eating 1000 calories per day to get there.... and its not fun at all...

I am not a happy diet - er..

My target date is the end of June 2008... Hopefully, I will be ready... I have 2 Friends that want the just the Lap Band and I'd prefer going to Mexico with them.

Again, i am glad there is Hope...

Any encouragement is greatly appreciated

Thanks

GinaBallerina

I think getting the lap band will do wonders for you. Good luck with your decision. The OCC is excellent!

First off, :lb9: Secondly, thanks for posting. You have joined a great support group and we will be encouraging you throughout this weight loss jouney. Keep up the good work. If you need anything let us know and keep us posted.

Hi,

I'm new to this site.. I had gastric by pass in Feb. 2000. Lost 180 in one year... and by 2003 I started to gain weight back. I went back to the Surgeon who performed the surgery and he assured me it was not his fault but mine. My staples were still in tact but my stoma had stretched. I asked if anything could be re-done?? He said "No" and marked it down as a Weight Loss Failure...

I left feeling like a Failure... with no hope whatsoever. I've tried every diet imaginable... some work... but not very long. With the stretched stoma I'm hungry every couple of hours... Since Feb. 2000 I've gained back 100 pounds.. I have listened to countless people telling me the same story... Either the staple line broke or the stoma stretched and they have also gained back all or at least a significant amount of weight.

A Friend of mine recently told me she was getting the Lap Band. I had no idea you can now get the Lap Band over a failed Gastric By pass. In 2003 this was unheard of.. I researched Dr. Ortiz and he indeed does Lap Bands over failed Gastric By Pass Surgeries... This is only being done outside of the U.S.

I'm in the process of lowering my BMI to under 50 in order to qualify for the Lap Band. The surgery is more complicated due to the previous scar tissue from my old gastric by pass...

But at least there's hope for people like me.

I've lost 11 pounds in the last 2 weeks... and have 37 more to go in order to get my BMI down...

I'm eating 1000 calories per day to get there.... and its not fun at all...

I am not a happy diet - er..

My target date is the end of June 2008... Hopefully, I will be ready... I have 2 Friends that want the just the Lap Band and I'd prefer going to Mexico with them.

Again, i am glad there is Hope...

Any encouragement is greatly appreciated

Thanks

GinaBallerina

Hi Gina,

I thought I would pass on some info. to you. My husband and I just returned from TJ where my hubby was banded on 4-14. While we were in the lobby a young lady came in for a fill and told us her story. She had had here gastric by-pass done when she was 16 years old, she had since put on weight and decided to have the sleeve put on by Dr. Ortiz. She was VERY happy and had already lost more than 20 lbs.

So good luck to you! And please know the entire staff, facility and the hotel were just wonderful!

Take care, Renee'

You sound very motivated to do this, so GO FOR IT! We are all here to support you. Just remember as long as you keep trying you are not a failure and we will always be here for support and kind words during the tough times as well as cheering you on for your successes.

Hi Gina,

I thought I would pass on some info. to you. My husband and I just returned from TJ where my hubby was banded on 4-14. While we were in the lobby a young lady came in for a fill and told us her story. She had had here gastric by-pass done when she was 16 years old, she had since put on weight and decided to have the sleeve put on by Dr. Ortiz. She was VERY happy and had already lost more than 20 lbs.

So good luck to you! And please know the entire staff, facility and the hotel were just wonderful!

Take care, Renee'

Did she say why she waas getting the gastric sleeve vs. The Band ? I've read that the sleeve takes 85% of your stomach out.. Thats kind of radical to me... But to each his own I guess...

:lb14: Gina and welcome! I hope that whatever decision you make that it all works out. I know of a few people what had the Gastric Roune Y about 4 years back and both have gained back 50+ pounds each. I'm not sure why because I don't even know if they have followed up on it, but they are probably the reasons why I went with the Lapband.

Here's to HOPE and FAITH in yourself and God (if you believe in one) so that you may reach weightloss success again and this time for good! :lb10: on your current weight loss to date!

Hi GinaB and welcome to our wonderful, informative, uplifting, kick you in the butt when needed forum! :lb21:

It sounds like you've done your research and on your way to becoming a "bandster". From your post I have a couple observations/questions.

My bmi is currently 40 (262lbs) down from 44 (288lbs) I eat at least 1,200 calories a day (give or take 1-200 ) in my opinion 1000 calories at your current BMI/weight seems really low/restrictive. Of course I am not a doctor or trying to give advice but as someone who has also tried every diet (and I mean EVERY diet) and failed I do know that restricting myself only led to binging later.

I have lost/gained/lost/gained the same 50-150lbs countless times... I never never never dealt with the emotional aspects of why I overate and continued to be obese. I am doing that now and am finding that it's equally important for me to be emotionally healthy as it is to be physically healthy and I can't have one without the other. I hope that you are getting the emotional support you need to go along with your new "band".. of course that's one of the great things about this forum, everyone is here for you.

I can't wait to read updates from you.

xoxox

:party2:

Hi GinaB and welcome to our wonderful, informative, uplifting, kick you in the butt when needed forum! :lb21:

It sounds like you've done your research and on your way to becoming a "bandster". From your post I have a couple observations/questions.

My bmi is currently 40 (262lbs) down from 44 (288lbs) I eat at least 1,200 calories a day (give or take 1-200 ) in my opinion 1000 calories at your current BMI/weight seems really low/restrictive. Of course I am not a doctor or trying to give advice but as someone who has also tried every diet (and I mean EVERY diet) and failed I do know that restricting myself only led to binging later.

I have lost/gained/lost/gained the same 50-150lbs countless times... I never never never dealt with the emotional aspects of why I overate and continued to be obese. I am doing that now and am finding that it's equally important for me to be emotionally healthy as it is to be physically healthy and I can't have one without the other. I hope that you are getting the emotional support you need to go along with your new "band".. of course that's one of the great things about this forum, everyone is here for you.

I can't wait to read updates from you.

Yes, 1000 calories for my current BMI is low. I'm trying to hurry the initial weight loss in order to qualify for the surgery. I have Friends that want to go to Mexico in June and I want to go with them. I'm a quick loser and also a quick gainer...

As far as emotional support... I belong to a 12 step Program that deals with emotions and not weight.. Very helpful.. But not enough... Thanks for the encouragement :)

xoxox

:party2: