pre-op diet...

Hey ladies and gents!

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ortiz on May 15th, and was wondering about the pre-op diet. The info packet I have is very vague about a few things, but I knew that some of you would definitely know the answers to my questions!

1 - when it says "protien shakes" - what exactly does that mean? Slim Fast/Ensure/etc?

2 - it mentions that I can "substitute a salad for the ministrone soup...so does this mean I can have soup/veggies/salad?? If so, when - like with my dinner or as a snack, etc?

3 - if both my breakfast and lunch are under 225 calories each day, and I have a Lean Cuisine for dinner (say...300 calories there) - that's only 800 calories! I know I can add SF jello and popsicles but those are only like 10 calories each...will I starve to death!?!?!

thanks so much for any help you guys can give.

anyone else out there flying in to San Diego on the 14th and having surgery on the 15th of May?

~Amber

Congrats on your surgery date!!! As for the pre-op diet...when it says protein shakes- I picked the slim fast optima- I liked them. Some people on here will tell you they didnt like them. They also have a brand called EAS that has a LOT of protein in it, but its a powder do you have to make them. IT just depends how much time you have, and what you like best.

You can have veggies...but you cant put a cup of ranch and bacon bits on your salad, or 6tbls of butter on your veggies..sadly enough lol! Try and stick with leafy greens..and stay away from startchy veggies!

You wont die eating 800 calories! A lot of people took fiber pills, some days I would eat a banana around 3 when I was STARVING bc it gets rough! The other things I can suggest is LOAD up on water- stop drinking soda- and stay away from anything that might tempt you! I stayed in my house for those 2 weeks! haha Good luck!

Amber,

This is what I did on my preop diet.

I lost 18 pounds on my preop diet. I did this for three weeks. I chose the 2 shakes and 1 lean cuisine meal a day diet but was told I could have a green salad with tomatoes, green peppers and mushrooms, so this is exactly what I had:

Breakfast (always) - 1 Slim Fast Optima Milk Chocolate shake. I would put it in the freezer for about an hour so it would taste like a McDonalds' chocolate milk shake and I actually enjoyed it! I usually drank this with a "fun" straw .. a pink staw with a flamingo on it, etc. Somehow, this helped

Lunch - if I ate lunch at the office I had a lean cuisine (my favorite was the meatloaf and mashed potatoes). If I went out to lunch with friends, I ordered a small salad/side salad and they almost always had the items I could have: Lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes and mushrooms. I used very little dressing, if any, but once in a while used salsa as a dressing. I would always ask them to leave off the cheese and carrots.

Dinner: If I had a salad for lunch, I had a lean cuisine for dinner. If I had a lean cuisine for lunch, I had a shake for dinner. Don't forger the "fun" straw!

I really didn't find it necessary to snack on anything between meals.

I drank a lot of diet lemonaide and water. Special K Protien Water and Crystel Light packs. Gave up diet Coke, quit salting my food at the table, and got my chocolate fix from the shakes.

I hope this helps.

Hey ladies and gents!

I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Ortiz on May 15th, and was wondering about the pre-op diet. The info packet I have is very vague about a few things, but I knew that some of you would definitely know the answers to my questions!

1 - when it says "protien shakes" - what exactly does that mean? Slim Fast/Ensure/etc?

2 - it mentions that I can "substitute a salad for the ministrone soup...so does this mean I can have soup/veggies/salad?? If so, when - like with my dinner or as a snack, etc?

3 - if both my breakfast and lunch are under 225 calories each day, and I have a Lean Cuisine for dinner (say...300 calories there) - that's only 800 calories! I know I can add SF jello and popsicles but those are only like 10 calories each...will I starve to death!?!?!

thanks so much for any help you guys can give.

anyone else out there flying in to San Diego on the 14th and having surgery on the 15th of May?

~Amber

I'm guessing you are probably under a BMI of 50 if you didn't have to talk to Dr. Miranda. Mine was just over 50 and I had to talk to her about which diet to be on and she gave me a goal of 17 pounds to lose.

I couldn't schedule my surgery until I lost 10 pounds, which I did in 2 or 3 weeks. Because of work, I couldn't schedule at the end of April, so I scheduled for May 8. I lost more than 1 pounds in 4 weeks and I have 2 weeks to go and I've lost 23 pounds. I stuck with the pre-op diet even after I lost the 17 pounds. I'm too afraid of gaining back the weight!!