Pictures of a Filled and Un-Filled Lap Band

These four pictures show two of the Lap Band models – the 10cm band (which holds 4cc's) and the VG or Vanguard band (which holds 10ccs). They show them without additional saline and with added saline so that you can see the effect of adding saline has on the space available in the middle.

10cm-vg-lapbands.jpg

lapb-10-cm.jpg

The photo shows a standard LapBand made by Inamed Health. It consists of a ring of silicone which is placed around the very top of the stomach. On the inner surface of the ring is a balloon which is connected via a long thin tube to an access port which is buried deep under the skin just above and to the left of the umbilicus. If we pass a fine needle through the skin into the acess port we can inject saline into the balloon causing it to swell up and thus tighten on the stomach wall. This will give the patient a sense of satiety or lack of hunger. Even if they have not been eating they will feel less hunger and less interest in food. If the band is adjusted optimally, there is almost no interest in food or appetite for eating. When they do eat they quickly get a sense of fullness and do not feel inclined to eat more. The net result is that they eat 3 or less very small meals per day and feel quite satisfied with that.

maybe it's because I haven't been banded yet or can tell how long that band is in the bottom photo, but that looks really long!! where does all that long cord go or am I misinterpreting the length?

thanks for the pics, Michelle - great info!

Alana

maybe it's because I haven't been banded yet or can tell how long that band is in the bottom photo, but that looks really long!! where does all that long cord go or am I misinterpreting the length?

Alana

Hi Alana,

My surgeon showed me an actual band and demonstrated it...and the cord form the band to the port is quite long.

Cathy

On one of the videos, they show the surgeon cutting excess tubing.

Alana

The photo shows a standard LapBand made by Inamed Health. It consists of a ring of silicone which is placed around the very top of the stomach. On the inner surface of the ring is a balloon which is connected via a long thin tube to an access port which is buried deep under the skin just above and to the left of the umbilicus. If we pass a fine needle through the skin into the acess port we can inject saline into the balloon causing it to swell up and thus tighten on the stomach wall. This will give the patient a sense of satiety or lack of hunger. Even if they have not been eating they will feel less hunger and less interest in food. If the band is adjusted optimally, there is almost no interest in food or appetite for eating. When they do eat they quickly get a sense of fullness and do not feel inclined to eat more. The net result is that they eat 3 or less very small meals per day and feel quite satisfied with that.

Awesome Michelle. Great visual especially since my sister and I both have different bands...

Great pictures, had a discussion last week at a support group about the regular lapband and the VG lapband, it helps to visualize them. :)