The Flu

Hi Ladies,

I was hit with the flu last night and this morning was violently ill, vomiting and heeving...thank goodness I am not banded yet, but if I were I would have blown something, I am sure of it.

Has anyone been sick since banding and what are the signs of slippage of the band or that something has happened? If you think something has happened, would you go to your family doctor to have him check? Xray, ultrasound?

I am just starting to feel better now, slept all day, major stomach pains. I have been sucking on popcicles and sipping water, I guess I'm getting a taste of the post-op diet in advance!

Take care, Cathy

Getting the flu is no fun under normal circumstances but can be a dangerous situation for a banded person. The uncontrollable vomiting can cause a slip or the irritation to the stomach can cause swelling which can do some pretty serious damage to the stomach. It wasn't long ago we had a post from someone who got the flu, didn't get proper treatment right away, and consequentially had to get her band and part of her stomach removed.

That being said, I've heard plenty of stories of people who get the stomach flu and the worse that happens is they are miserable for a bit. When I first got banded I went to my doctor and got some anti-vomiting medicine. It sits in my fridge just in case and should head off any serious unpleasantness if I take it early enough.

Hi Ladies,

I was hit with the flu last night and this morning was violently ill, vomiting and heeving...thank goodness I am not banded yet, but if I were I would have blown something, I am sure of it.

Has anyone been sick since banding and what are the signs of slippage of the band or that something has happened? If you think something has happened, would you go to your family doctor to have him check? Xray, ultrasound?

I am just starting to feel better now, slept all day, major stomach pains. I have been sucking on popcicles and sipping water, I guess I'm getting a taste of the post-op diet in advance!

Take care, Cathy

Hi Kathy,

Cassie got the flu when she was banded. It was a horrible experience. You need to make sure that you can take fluids. She became hydrated and if you can't get anything in then I recommend you go in for an IV and get hydrated. Cassie had to have 2 of them. Then she had her band unfilled. She dropped weight like peeling skin off an orange. She could not keep anything down for a long time. So please watch your self and if you don't feel your getting enough fluids, just go and get the IV, the worse thing is you have to sit there for an 1 1/2 hrs. The best thing is your not hyrdated and your body is not working hard on that. Also I would recommend you letting the doctors know that you have the flu. They told Cassie to always call. The band can come dislodged.

thGetwellsoon-1.gif

Jenn

Hi Ladies,

Take care, Cathy

Good question, what are the signs of slippage? Anyone out there know? I'll call the OCC today and find out unless someone has the answer.

In the mean time take care of yourself and drink lots of gatorade.

Pargirl

Well, I didn't get the flu, but I did end haveing horrible vomitting issues after banding. The first 2 times were 2 days after banding. At first, they thought I wasn't drinking enough and made me drink more. The second time, same day - later in the afternoon, it happened again. This time, they could not figure out why. After thinking and thinking, there just seemed no reason for it. But both times under fluro, everything was still in place and fine. They gave me IV fluids, anti nauseau, anti inflamatory and nexium. That got me on the plane the next day and home safe and feeling good.

A week after I got home, and after taking one small sip of Campbells cream of shrimp soup, it happened again. I WANTED TO DIE! It lasted 3 - 4 hours of constant vomitting. Nothing came up just some incredible GAS and air. But, I couldn't walk, couldn't talk, couldn't do anything but retch for 3 or 4 straight hours. It wasn't until my husband got me someliquid anit nauseau medicine that it stopped. Called the OC and they kept thinking I ate something, but did not. Have no real idea why it happened but they said if it happens again, I would not be able to get a fill and would need to go back and get a thorough check.

They thought I might end up being one of those people who never ned up needing a fill. But, now that more time has passed, believe me, I need that fill! I am going back to Mexico and they will check me over good before they fill me.

So, not the flu just some unexplained vomitting. Hopefully, my bad is still fine. It all feels fine. I think I am very very lucky to not have had a slippage with all that going on, but I don't think I do.