Operations - Ireland - Support & Information

:lb14:

Hello All,

My name is Kathryn and I am from Ireland. I had my banding done on Monday the 21st of April 2008. Unfortunately like you all, I have very little information and support in Ireland about individual patient experience and advice to help me in my journey?

I would really like some feed back on how anyone felt after the operations as I am in extreme pain with very little mobility needing help to move. Is this normal?

Thank you in advance and can I say your posts have been very helpful.

Thanks

Kathryn

Hi Kathryn,

:lb14: :lb10: :lb9: :lb16:

Welcome to bandland. Good to have you here. This is a great forum with lots of information and support. I'm sure you'll love it here. I know I do.

Denise

Hello Kathryn,

So sorry to hear that you're in so much pain! I had very little pain since my banding [almost a month ago now] and all the people I've spoke to had little to no pain. Something doesn't sound right.... did Dr. Ortiz do your surgery? Regardless of who did it, I think you should give them a call. I had some shoulder pain and a little port pain since my banding, but nothing as bad as you're describing. I really think you should contact your Doc. Best wishes and please keep us informed! :lb4: Darlene

Hi Kathryn,

Welcome to the forum! Let me first say that while I haven't been banded yet, I can't imagine that being in extreme pain is normal. Most people talk about some discomfort the days following surgery, but this sounds a little more serious. Have you contacted your doctor yet? Please do and keep us updated! I'll pray everything is alright.

Alana

P.S. I hope to visit Ireland in the next few years - maybe we can plan a little get together if I visit where you live!

Hi All

Thank you for the reply, no it was not Dr Ortiz who did my operations. I have spent the last year trying to find a good Doctor and he adviced me that this pain was normal and would last up to 72 hours. However I did not remember on any of the forums I have read people feeling extreme pain and limited mobility after the operation. So that is why I asked the questions?

Alot of comments said that they were shopping and resting by the pool after the operation and I can hardly walk? Is there a period of discomfort or am I the only person not able to move with out pain?

Kathryn

Hi All

Thank you for the reply, no it was not Dr Ortiz who did my operations. I have spent the last year trying to find a good Doctor and he adviced me that this pain was normal and would last up to 72 hours. However I did not remember on any of the forums I have read people feeling extreme pain and limited mobility after the operation. So that is why I asked the questions?

Alot of comments said that they were shopping and resting by the pool after the operation and I can hardly walk? Is there a period of discomfort or am I the only person not able to move with out pain?

Kathryn

What kind of pain are you having? Describe it for me.

But, extreme pain and not being able to walk is not right. I never once took a pain pill and even went back to the hotel the same day as surgery. Walking around like nothing. The next day we were all out walking and shopping. Extreme pain is not normal, 72 hours or not. That is very very unusual.

I had some serious pain after returning home. I was fine for three days, and then the pain hit... right at the port site. I think I pulled something. I could barely move, and I stayed in my recliner for about 3 days and my kids waited on me. Sleeping was very painful too. It got better after the three days, and now I have no pain at all.

Is your pain in the port area?

Welcome to our group!

I did not have the kind of pain you are describing... did you have laproscopic surgery? If you had traditional surgery, you may have pain longer and more severe. Regardless, I would call my doctor about it.

Hi All,

I have spoken to the nurse on the team, and she is now monitoring me. I have pain at the port area, left side and ribs when breathing. She explained that pain can be expected however each person to their own.

We have changed pain medication and we will see by the end of the day how I feel. It does not help that I took bad after the operation, fainting and having a mini fit! I think at this point I need to try to relax and breath.

The good thing is that I can consume liquids and they are taking my pain seriously. I am so glad, not in a bad way to hear that Paula Bee and BeBe had pain as I was starting to wonder what had I done to myself?

Thank you all for your comments and concern. I will let you know what happens next.

Thanks,

Kathryn.

PS: I hope the weather is nicer where ever you are as Dublin is dull, dark and looks like it will rain!

When I got pain, I called the clinic, and they told me it's normal. Mine started on Friday, and I panicked all weekend until I could call them and find out what the heck was wrong. (I'm such a big baby!)

The weather here is a little overcast, but otherwise nice. I would trade you though if it meant getting to listen to Irish men and those sexy accents! (Irish accents are my favorite... I'm so pervy when I hear one)

Hope you're feeling better soon!