Considering lapband

This is my first time in a forum room so first I will apologize for the boring format:) I am considering lapband and have been reading about some of your experiences. Some of my questions are where are you going? costs? I live in Spokane, WA. We have a reputable agency that does lapband but is pretty expensive. Any concerns about going out of country? Thanks for taking the time to read and help me with this decision.

Hi Traci,

Welcome to our group! I am having my surgery at the Obesity Control Center in TJ, Mexico on Friday.

I researched a lot of information. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez have far more experience with lap banding than US doctors and the cost is much less. You can go to the OCC website and learn more about their creditials and experience. I hope that helps you.

Most of us here have been banded at the OCC in Tijuana.

I was concerned about going to Mexico until I joined this forum and all my worries disappeared. The OCC by far surpasses any treatment I have had in the USA. They are amazing! Good luck with your decision. ><'

Most of us here have been banded at the OCC in Tijuana.

I was concerned about going to Mexico until I joined this forum and all my worries disappeared. The OCC by far surpasses any treatment I have had in the USA. They are amazing! Good luck with your decision. ><'

Thank you both for your quick replies. What do you do about the fills? If you have the sx done in TJ, will other agencies, MD's do the fills in States?

I went by myself to the OCC and had surgery on 4/7/2008. I was amazed at the wonderful treatment I got...I shouldn't have been after reading all about it here. I had better care in Mexico at the OCCthan I have recieved in many US hospitals...so I would definitely recommend the OCC to anyone thinking about this. Also, I am going back for at least my first fill. For all others I may go to Fill Centers USA...look at their website and see if they have one near you. Best of Luck!

I haven't looked into it because I live in San Diego. Many others here have checked into it. I have heard that some fill centers will do it and some will not.

Wendy,

Where is SD do you live? I also live in SD in PB. I got banded by Dr. O on 4-10-08! it is the best decision i ever made.

Sara

Hi Everyone ,

Just a thought. Cassie tried to have a fill done in the states by doctors trained by Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez. Sadly they did not use the proper equipment. First and foremost I would make sure that they have an X-Ray machine that can follow the Barrium going through the band and also that they are not taking blind shots at your port.

Group hug to you for considering the Lap Band.

2jaex09.jpg

Jenn

(From the Oprah Show & Cassie's Proud Mom)

Fills were also my concern with going to OCC but there is a fill center with the proper equipment near me. I will still definitely go to Mexico for my first fill and may the ones after. When we considered the difference in price of 8000 in Mexico to 14 or 15 thousand in the US. Not to mention all the other hassles you have to go through to get it done here, the fill cost of going back seemed insignificant. It will cost about $500 for travel hotel and fill. Even if I have to get 6 fills which is doubtful it will be much cheaper there than here and I will get 6 mini vacations out of it.

Blessings!

This is my first time in a forum room so first I will apologize for the boring format:) I am considering lapband and have been reading about some of your experiences. Some of my questions are where are you going? costs? I live in Spokane, WA. We have a reputable agency that does lapband but is pretty expensive. Any concerns about going out of country? Thanks for taking the time to read and help me with this decision.

Traci, first and foremost you are doing the right thing by joining a group forum like this. We are a great bunch of people that are here to answer any questions you may have. As some have already said - most of us were banded by Dr. Ortiz and Martinez in Tijuana. The place was clean and beautiful. We all were taken really good care of. Most of us paid $7,950 for the surgery, transportation to and from the San Diego Airport, and hotel stay while there. If you decide to fly, which I suspect you will - I map quested your drive and it's like 20 hours, you will have to pay for air transportation. Fills are "free" but you must pay the fluoroscopy costs which are $100. They have a package that cost $299 for transportation to and from San Diego, 1 nights stay at the Lucerna, and the fluoro fee. But you could use this forum to announce your fill dates and try to team up with another banster to split transportation costs which are $130. But....Dr. Ortiz is on the advisory board for Fill Centers USA and they are very familiar with his patients. The cost for the initial appt. is $349 and each additional fill is $165. However, this does not include fluoro and that price varies. There is a fill center in Washington, so that may be the better option. I am having my first fill on May 3rd with Fill Centers and the initial fill (with Fluoro) will be $549 and each additional will be $285. Anyway keep us posted on whatever you decide but you must check out our testimonies.

:lb9:

Thank you both for your quick replies. What do you do about the fills? If you have the sx done in TJ, will other agencies, MD's do the fills in States?

Hi!

it is way to expensive for me to fly down to san diego from chicago, so we have a doctor in the chicago area that uses xrays and fluro for his fills. the amount that i will have to pay will be around 200 bucks, therefore that is what i am going for. I will tell you that it was difficult to find a doctor in the area since most of them will not accept patients banded out of us. Welcome to the group, my banding experience has been great. ><'

FYI.... The Fill Center Doc in Washington is Dr. Fox Located in Auburn. I see him monthly for follow up care (my choice to go monthly) and was just in today... He does not have Fluro as he told me that he's been doing fills too long and doesnt need the x-ray to show him what he already knows. Pretty cocky I thought, but I go to him cause it's closest.

There is a place in Olympia that see's Ortiz patients. Dr. Neal and he does have fluro.

Hope this helps :)

Amber

Awesome information everyone! I've been very busy today as has my husband. We've researched all over the web and at local bariatric doctors. I found an MD in Spokane who would allow me to become a patient if I was banded elsewhere. His name is Dr. Lee Trotter. Anyone in Washington (or elsewhere) heard of him? Talked to Carolyn a couple of times. For people who have been banded for a while, how many adjustments have you had? I didn't find any negative comments/experiences with the OCC group in TJ. Once you made the decision to get banded, how long before surgery was scheduled? So far I'm leaning towards June if I decide to do this. My husband has more doubts about the discipline that is required afterward, and I am worried about my ability to refrain from eating and it seems that I have days that I never get full. Well enough questions for now. I hope that I can make the final decision in the next few days and be as excited as the rest of you!

FYI.... The Fill Center Doc in Washington is Dr. Fox Located in Auburn. I see him monthly for follow up care (my choice to go monthly) and was just in today... He does not have Fluro as he told me that he's been doing fills too long and doesnt need the x-ray to show him what he already knows. Pretty cocky I thought, but I go to him cause it's closest.

There is a place in Olympia that see's Ortiz patients. Dr. Neal and he does have fluro.

Amber

[/quote

Thank you Amber! I don't know if I could tolerate Dr. Fox :) I feel like I've dealt with enough of attitudes from the medical profession.

Hi Traci!

I too am from Spokane, and yes I have heard of Dr. Trotter, there is also a surgeon in Post Falls that does the surgery. I have spent several months following this forum and without a doubt, when I'm ready to make the step and have the surgery I will be having Dr. Ortiz do it. I had my surgery scheduled at one point, but some changes in my life have put it on hold temporarily. I know that soon I will be ready to go.... hope this helps.

Hugs.. :rolleyes:

Thank you Amber! I don't know if I could tolerate Dr. Fox :) I feel like I've dealt with enough of attitudes from the medical profession.

I feel ya... he's a quack!!! I havent heard of anyone else on this forum that see's him, unless they just arent saying ;)

http://www.lapbandforum.com/index.php?show...amp;#entry23609

Check out the link above (if you havent already) Blazen started a great topic that has to do with fills. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask... There are so many here with GREAT info to share ><'

Amber

Yeah, that is cocky especially since everyone's body is different and everyone should not be treated the same. No 2 stomachs are the same, and no 2 fills should be the same. Therefore, it makes sense to use fluro since all bodies will use a differnet amount of saline. How can he know without seeing properly? It's like going in blind.

I have a little something else to add to my dilemma. I donated one of my kidneys to my husband last year, and yes I was able to get down to a BMI below 30 to do it and am now at 41 again..., but I can no longer be on a high protein diet. Has anyone had any ill effects on their kidneys before or after surgery with the shakes/food sources?

Hi Traci!

I too am from Spokane, and yes I have heard of Dr. Trotter, there is also a surgeon in Post Falls that does the surgery. I have spent several months following this forum and without a doubt, when I'm ready to make the step and have the surgery I will be having Dr. Ortiz do it. I had my surgery scheduled at one point, but some changes in my life have put it on hold temporarily. I know that soon I will be ready to go.... hope this helps.

Hugs.. :rolleyes:

Jaime, maybe if you get close we can share some of those traveling expenses in San Diego. I think I am aiming for June or July

Hi Traci,

Welcome to our group! I am having my surgery at the Obesity Control Center in TJ, Mexico on Friday.

I researched a lot of information. Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez have far more experience with lap banding than US doctors and the cost is much less. You can go to the OCC website and learn more about their creditials and experience. I hope that helps you.

Wendy, How did it go? Hope you are feeling well and everything went as well as you expected!!

I have a little something else to add to my dilemma. I donated one of my kidneys to my husband last year, and yes I was able to get down to a BMI below 30 to do it and am now at 41 again..., but I can no longer be on a high protein diet. Has anyone had any ill effects on their kidneys before or after surgery with the shakes/food sources?

That is a very good question that I have not heard addressed before in the forum. Any of our nurses have any imput?

• 3 weeks later...
Awesome information everyone! I've been very busy today as has my husband. We've researched all over the web and at local bariatric doctors. I found an MD in Spokane who would allow me to become a patient if I was banded elsewhere. His name is Dr. Lee Trotter. Anyone in Washington (or elsewhere) heard of him? Talked to Carolyn a couple of times. For people who have been banded for a while, how many adjustments have you had? I didn't find any negative comments/experiences with the OCC group in TJ. Once you made the decision to get banded, how long before surgery was scheduled? So far I'm leaning towards June if I decide to do this. My husband has more doubts about the discipline that is required afterward, and I am worried about my ability to refrain from eating and it seems that I have days that I never get full. Well enough questions for now. I hope that I can make the final decision in the next few days and be as excited as the rest of you!

Hi I am in Vancouver washington and am really thinking os getting a lap band did you ever get your is so how did it go and where did you go. Janell