Surgery Date Set - Nerves Setting In

Surgery date is set (28 August 06) - Plane ticket purchased - Now I am nervous. Am I doing the right thing? Mexico? What am I thinking, what should I expect? I have read nothing but good things on this site. Every thing I have found on Dr. Ortiz is great. Yet you hear nothing but horror stories about going to Mexico. I guess I need a little advise from some people who have been there, nerves and all. Any advise and stories is helpful to me. Thanks is advance. Lanie

Surgery date is set (28 August 06) - Plane ticket purchased - Now I am nervous. Am I doing the right thing? Mexico? What am I thinking, what should I expect? I have read nothing but good things on this site. Every thing I have found on Dr. Ortiz is great. Yet you hear nothing but horror stories about going to Mexico. I guess I need a little advise from some people who have been there, nerves and all. Any advise and stories is helpful to me. Thanks is advance. Lanie

Hi Lanie,

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Ortiz and my experience in Mexico! The Hotel was wonderful, everyone I encountered was just terrific. NO COMPLAINTS (except that my port site is still sore... I had surgery a week ago)

Good luck to you :)

Lori

Lanie,

If you are having your surgery with Dr. Ortiz, you have nothing to worry about. They made me put booties over my shoes just to go in and take blood.... Ever done that in the US? Not me!

Just remember these facts: THe lap band has been used successfully in Mexico since 1993, while it has only been approved in the US since about 2001. More procedures have been done in Mexico than the US.... and most of the experienced surgeons are in Mexico.

Dr. Ortiz has trained many of the surgeons in the US.... so tell me... would you rather have the surgery done by the instructor, or the student?

I'll be glad to give you more detailed information after my surgery in the morning :D

Here is my 2 cents on the whole Mexico thing. Yes, it can be a bit scarey. But it sounds like you are flying in and then having Dr. Ortiz's office pick you up and take you straight to the clinic. That shouldn't be any trouble at all.

I, on the other hand, only live a bit over an hour from the border. Therefore, I drove across. Have you ever driven in New York City??? Well, it compares to that. Cars are cutting across, darting out in front of you, and double parked in the middle of the street. There are several death defying traffic circles to drive through on the way to the Hotel. But don't worry, Momma Ortiz is a pro, I'm sure.

Last week I drove down for my first fill. I went alone this time. That was a bit scarey. Sitting at the border to get back into the US was the worst. People are approaching your car from all sides begging for money. I just kept looking straight ahead. Then they would stand right in front of my car to get my attention. I felt like a royal bitch not giving anyone anything.

Good luck.

Jennifer

Good Luck! You took the words right out of my mouth! I just got denied from my insurance company, and am debating the whole thing too. My family thinks I'm nuts! I'm not telling anyone else---it's none of their business. I would like someone to go with me, but the costs would be probably be prohibitive, plus since no one wants me to do it, looks like I'll go alone. I'm from Kentucky, so I'll have to fly in. Keep us posted!!!

Good Luck! You took the words right out of my mouth! I just got denied from my insurance company, and am debating the whole thing too. My family thinks I'm nuts! I'm not telling anyone else---it's none of their business. I would like someone to go with me, but the costs would be probably be prohibitive, plus since no one wants me to do it, looks like I'll go alone. I'm from Kentucky, so I'll have to fly in. Keep us posted!!!

Hi,

once you get there, you won't really feel alone, except at the hotel, but there's lots to do there, I sat out by the pool. There' s a nice restaurant (ready with chicken broth!) There is also a bar (armed with bottled water!). While you are at the clinic, everyone is SO nice, and there are always other bandsters ready to share their experience. I chatted it up the whole time I was there while my husband watched the world cup soccer game. Since everyone stays at the hotel, if you let them know you are there alone, you can probably meet someone for a lounge by the pool the day after surgery. I have had several surgeries in my life and have NEVER experienced the warmth, compassion and professionalism of this clinic. I would do it again in a heartbeat and have and will continue to recommend Dr. Ortiz and his staff to anyone that is interested in lapband surgery :) oh... and if you have a costco membership - they have one there! hubby went and bought flavors of crystal light i had never heard of before... YUM

Lanie - I was the biggest skeptic when it came to having surgery in Mexico since I am a hospital nurse here in the USA. I researched and researched and laughing say I know everything about Dr. Ortiz except his preference for boxers or briefs! :P As prepared as I was, the 3 hour plane ride, landing in a strange city and having to rely on others to pick me up and drive me across the border to a clinic in TJ of all places shot my nerves! As I sat in the lobby of the clinic I was like "what in the heck are you doing" and I began to have serious doubts about my decision for the first time since making up my mind to schedule with Dr. Ortiz. Then as I began to meet the staff, Dr. Miranda & Dr. Jimenez I recognized medical professionals who were in the same league as the doctors I work with on a daily basis. The clinic was very clean, far exceeding the standards of American hospitals! It's normal to be nervous. If you have any questions, I know Dr. Ortiz is very willing to talk to prospective patients on the phone and his patient coordinator, Carolyn, is just awesome and was a patient herself! The worse part about the Mexico experience is getting back into the USA. Strict border control makes the crossing back into the US long and tiresome, but Dr. Ortiz's staff is use to dealing with this delay and will allow enough time to get you back to the airport in plenty of time for your return flight home.

Hey All, I too am a little worried about a Mexico surgery...I am also worried about how I will pay for something like this. I know it's only about 10 grand...did anyone else have to finance it..and if so did you have trouble doing so? I already know my insurance won't cover anything outside of the US and even if they covered it inside the US it is more costly and i would probably have to pay out a deductible almost close to what this surgery would cost. I've tried so many other things before...I have had severe weight issues since I was in 2nd grade. I am 21 now and close to 250lbs on my 5'2 frame. I'm scared for my future with a BMI of 44.4. I'm running out of hope and this might be might last resort....

Hey All, I too am a little worried about a Mexico surgery...I am also worried about how I will pay for something like this. I know it's only about 10 grand...did anyone else have to finance it..and if so did you have trouble doing so? I already know my insurance won't cover anything outside of the US and even if they covered it inside the US it is more costly and i would probably have to pay out a deductible almost close to what this surgery would cost. I've tried so many other things before...I have had severe weight issues since I was in 2nd grade. I am 21 now and close to 250lbs on my 5'2 frame. I'm scared for my future with a BMI of 44.4. I'm running out of hope and this might be might last resort....

Hope - Have you contacted Carolyn, the patient coordinator for Dr. Ortiz? She can give you some information on companies that do finance the surgery. I checked into these, but found the interest rate was higher than a special offer I arranged through Mastercard. If you have good credit, finding financing shouldn't be an issue. Good luck!

Everyone will think you're nuts when you mention Mexico but who cares! I went alone. I quickly paired up with Doug and his friend who had surgery the same day as me. If possible I would suggest a friend come, if not you'll be okay..... I was :)

What a wonderful experience you'll have at the Hospital and if anyone hasn't mentioned it yet; the Dr's are all very handsome!

I am financing my surgery with one of the companies they recommended. lots of paperwork but the interest rate is lower than most credit cards and the monthly pmt is reasonable. good luck

Thanks for all the great feedback - my nerves have seemed to have gone away - I feel very calm now - I know this is the right thing for me. I even told my mum today what I was going to do. She surprised me and was very suportive, even offered to fly down if I wanted. I declined, that would realy send me over the edge :lol: .

I am now trying to mentally get ready for the surgery and the life style changes that will come with it. I drank my last soda this weekend, no more carbonated drinks for me. :( . I have started drinking more water and am hitting the crystal light section of the store to see what flavors are out there. I don't want to start drinking to many sport drinks, thus undoing what the band is supposed to be doing, by drinking to many calories.

Keep the support/feedback coming - you have not idea how it helps to know people are going through the same thing I am.

Am set for surgery 7/12 and know the feeling. Have a good friend who had the surgery about 3 years ago and she is doing great. Almost too thin.

:D

Hi Lanie,

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Dr. Ortiz and my experience in Mexico! The Hotel was wonderful, everyone I encountered was just terrific. NO COMPLAINTS (except that my port site is still sore... I had surgery a week ago)

Good luck to you :)

Lori

Hi Lori,

I too was banded on 6/15/06 and I too am very sore around my port area. I'm sure you and I met. It's consoling to know that I'm not the only one feeling the soreness. Ive had to take some pain meds to ease the pain. Have you? How are you doing with your diet plan. Ive been mentally struggling. Have you?

Its the cravings that are killing me the most. Otherwise, everything else is fine. I weighed myself today I've lost about 10 pounds thus far. How are you doing? Love to share my experiences with someone who had the same surgery as I.

Hi Lori,

I too was banded on 6/15/06 and I too am very sore around my port area. I'm sure you and I met. It's consoling to know that I'm not the only one feeling the soreness. Ive had to take some pain meds to ease the pain. Have you? How are you doing with your diet plan. Ive been mentally struggling. Have you?

Its the cravings that are killing me the most. Otherwise, everything else is fine. I weighed myself today I've lost about 10 pounds thus far. How are you doing? Love to share my experiences with someone who had the same surgery as I.

Did you say cravings? Oh Lordy! I thought this operation was supposed to make us feel full?

I am worried to death that I am going to feel like I'm starving which is what dieting did for me.

I can do that without spending this much money...it's worth it if it works, though.

---Karen bmi 35.1 2B banded end of july

Did you say cravings? Oh Lordy! I thought this operation was supposed to make us feel full?

I am worried to death that I am going to feel like I'm starving which is what dieting did for me.

I can do that without spending this much money...it's worth it if it works, though.

Hi karen,

I find myself having cravings, but not the draw i had to them before, nor have I had the hunger or nausea I inevitably had with "diets". What hunger I do have is easily satisfied with water or tea or diluted juice and especially with a small cup of chicken broth. I have to admit that I have licked my fingers on a few occassions after preparing a meal for my family (bacon fingers in the morning, chicken fingers in the evening hahahaha). I also took a small nibble of milk chocolate and SLOWLY let it melt in my mouth - it was a very small bite but it was satisfying just to have the taste... satisfaction from just a taste and not an entire bar - WOW!

Karen - I can't imagine ever doubting the surgery once you have it and won't regret the money you spend on it. I can already see big changes, physically and emotionally as I break the strongholds that food has held over me for so long.

Good luck!!

Am set for surgery 7/12 and know the feeling. Have a good friend who had the surgery about 3 years ago and she is doing great. Almost too thin.

:D

Charlie,

My husband and I will be there on the 10th and are both set for sugery on the 11th. I am very nervous, yet really excited at the same time.

I would love to be "almost too thin" but would settle for thin enough! ;)

Maybe we will see you there!

You only have a lot of hunger in the time just before your first fill. I was banded on 3/22/06 and am completely thrilled with everything surrounding this. The surgery experience with Dr. Ortiz was fantastic and now 3 months later, I am steadily losing...down 30 lbs, with just 50 more to go to hit goal. I expect to be there by the end of the year.

Good Luck...

Kris

I have just posted someother questions. What kind of money to take, credit cards or cash? What about tipping? Food for the person coming with me (payment). Do cell phones work or bring a calling card?

I hope to see both of you there. I will be in Vista on the 10th and check in on the 11th for the pre-op.

Charlie

Charlie,

My husband and I will be there on the 10th and are both set for sugery on the 11th. I am very nervous, yet really excited at the same time.

I would love to be "almost too thin" but would settle for thin enough! ;)

Maybe we will see you there!

I don't think I have this forum thing correct. I just replied to "Freetobeme" and ended up with my message in her post. Please excuse any errors

Charlie

I have the same question as Charlie - what money, credit cards, to bring? How is the cell phone coverage, what about chargers, is the current the same or bring an extra battery for the phone? What about jewlery, should I bring my wedding ring or leave it home. Whear is our personal effects stored during surgery. I know these are little things to be worring about, but questions that still go through the mind.

I have the same question as Charlie - what money, credit cards, to bring? How is the cell phone coverage, what about chargers, is the current the same or bring an extra battery for the phone? What about jewlery, should I bring my wedding ring or leave it home. Whear is our personal effects stored during surgery. I know these are little things to be worring about, but questions that still go through the mind.

Never even thought about the charger or the jewelry. Good questions...someone who has been there and done this please help!

Charlie

Lanie & Charlie

I was banded June 9th....it went WONDERFUL...would do it again in a hearbeat.....just wanted you to know that I have Nextel and I was able to charge my phone with no problems....no problems with service either...and I live in Florida...Dr. Ortiz and his staff also use Nextel too....so...I dont know about any other phone services....the currency there is american monies....honestly though..u really dont need to bring alot at all....the only thing I spent money I was my "LAST SUPPER", the night before surgery at the Rivoli right there at the Lucerna...WHICH BY THE WAY WAS WONDERFUL, and any special purchases u may want to do...as far as tipping....when I was at the Lucerna I tipped my Bell Boy....but he WAS WONDERFUL....RAUL his name was....but anyways...and as far as jewelry....I myself...NEVER EVER take my jewely off....I did remove all my necklaces and bracelets and only left my wedding set on...I myself had no problems...however.....one of the patients there the day before woke up to find her gold wedding band missing out of her nightstand drawer...so....I will leave that one up to you guys....I hope that this has helped the both of u...BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR SURGERY....U WILL NOT REGRET IT......Cathy

Hello All,

Thanks for the great feedback. I am feeling better every day about my decesion. Even more so since I finished reading Dr. Ortiz's book "Lap-Band For Life". It did a great job of answering a lot of my questions about the surgery and what to expect from the entire process. Not to mention about what to expect afterwards. Now I am anxious, but in a good way. I am counting down the days until I can be banded. I am trying to make little changes to my life (diet), so that I will not feel such a suddon shock to my system and hopefully be over some of the craveings (like for soda and pineapple). Besides I need to loose that 5%, and like everyone else I am worried about reaching that goal before surgery date. Weight Watchers here I come again :lol: .

Lanie & Charlie

I was banded June 9th....it went WONDERFUL...would do it again in a hearbeat.....just wanted you to know that I have Nextel and I was able to charge my phone with no problems....no problems with service either...and I live in Florida...Dr. Ortiz and his staff also use Nextel too....so...I dont know about any other phone services....the currency there is american monies....honestly though..u really dont need to bring alot at all....the only thing I spent money I was my "LAST SUPPER", the night before surgery at the Rivoli right there at the Lucerna...WHICH BY THE WAY WAS WONDERFUL, and any special purchases u may want to do...as far as tipping....when I was at the Lucerna I tipped my Bell Boy....but he WAS WONDERFUL....RAUL his name was....but anyways...and as far as jewelry....I myself...NEVER EVER take my jewely off....I did remove all my necklaces and bracelets and only left my wedding set on...I myself had no problems...however.....one of the patients there the day before woke up to find her gold wedding band missing out of her nightstand drawer...so....I will leave that one up to you guys....I hope that this has helped the both of u...BEST OF LUCK ON YOUR SURGERY....U WILL NOT REGRET IT......Cathy

Thanks for the answers to a lot of the questions. I will leave jewelry at home. I was mainly interested in the tipping of the driver?? Any idea?

Wow!! That has been almost amonth for you. Things still going great? Are you hungry? Started real food?

What do you mean by the "Last Supper"? Did you get to eat a real meal and not carb drinks and salad?

Charlie

Charlie;

Hey there;...I am so excited...yes...Its been almost a month now..and I have lost 15 pounds...I have a lower BMI...which makes me loose the weight a tad bit slower...but thats ok...I dont care how slow it comes off...as long as it comes off...and the numbers DONT creep up....so far so good...in regards to the Feeling Hungry....NOPE!!! I follow the nutrionists paperwork she gave me to a tee...and I never feel hungry....the other thing is...I try not to snack in between meals either....just drink...and I NEVER drink with my meals or for one and a half hours after meals either...which I have to say is one of the hardest things to change...some of the changes with the Lap Band and the way you have to eat....really makes you realize how we are such creatures of habit....your whole life you are told to drink with your meals...and now at 40 yrs old am having to change that...it gets a little getting use too...however..I found that if I dont place a drink in front of me while eating....the glass is not there to grab for...lol...which while talking and eating you really dont even realize you are doing it...my other half and kids kept telling me..mom you are trying to drink....so...instead of them having to babysit me at the table..i just dont place a drink in front of myself....again though...its just a 40 yr habit that takes time to break...but this is definately a "DOABLE" diet...I am loving the extra energy level, I sleep much better, and just seem so "UP" per say....I am looking forwards to my first fill...which I am hoping I can have done at my 7 week Post Op....which would be July 21st...and in regards to the "LAST SUPPER", CindyK and I were told by Dr. Ortiz himself to go out and relax and have a good time...have a few drinks and eat a "LIGHT" meal....and...thats EXACTLY what we did...its really funny though...I only had a Pina Colada and maybe 4 bites of my "LAST SUPPER" meal...lol..because of the Pre-Op diet you really cant eat that much....at least myself and CindyK couldnt...I look back on that now and kind of giggle...because it really wasnt my "LAST SUPPER"...it was more of your "LAST PIG OUT SESSION"....I am very happy with what I eat now...but I am also very very watchful as to what goes in my mouth....i wish you the best of luck and keep me posted....Cathy :))