Pre-banding diet

dieter18

I am considering getting banded in June. Can anyone tell me what the "pre-op" diet is all about???

Thanks!!!

Hi Dieter,

Before surgery you have to/should lose about 5% of your body weight, in order to lose some of the fat around your liver and stomach (helps for the procedure).

Before surgery: Either 2 weeks with 2 shakes and 1 lean cuisine, or 1 week with 3 shakes a day.

I'm on it right now and can't wait to get banded on Monday ;-)

:lb11:

~Ute~

Hi Dieter,

Before surgery you have to/should lose about 5% of your body weight, in order to lose some of the fat around your liver and stomach (helps for the procedure).

Before surgery: Either 2 weeks with 2 shakes and 1 lean cuisine, or 1 week with 3 shakes a day.

I'm on it right now and can't wait to get banded on Monday ;-)

:lb11:

~Ute~

Or the third choice is 3 weeks on Adkins.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Yep, that's what I did, only it was 2 weeks on atkins. I lost 12 lbs in 10 days! I was shocked eating beef with a side of beef could make me lose weight so fast! LOL :blink:

Hi im Destinie, im 17, im having the band sometime in July or Augest, but my mom has decided that i need to loose 15 lbs (plus what the dr. will meke me loose) by my first appt. which is June 10th. i know about the 2 slim fast and lean cuisin No sodas and lots of water..but is there anything else i could do to help my loose weight?

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana, Mexico - many of us on this forum were - and he has 3 different pre-op diets. The goal of the diets is to lose 5% of your weight to decrease the fat around the liver as mentioned already. You have already done that!! Way to go. You could have your surgery now! Although Dr. Miranda (Dr. Ortiz's nutritionist) does have 3 pre-op diets the goal is to lose the 5%. She does not really care how you do it. She just gives suggestions that many people have success with.

Diet options to choose from:

1. Induction phase of Atkins Diet - for 3 weeks

2. Protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner - for 2 weeks.

3. Protein shakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner - for 7 days.

With all three of these diets you can have salads (lettuce only) with a low (5 cal. or less) or no calorie dressing. Like Salad Spritzers. There are also some other recommendations about how to kill hunger pangs like fiber supplements etc.

If Dr. Ortiz is doing your surgery all of this info will be mailed to you in more detail but this is just an overview.

I was banded by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana, Mexico - many of us on this forum were - and he has 3 different pre-op diets. The goal of the diets is to lose 5% of your weight to decrease the fat around the liver as mentioned already. You have already done that!! Way to go. You could have your surgery now! Although Dr. Miranda (Dr. Ortiz's nutritionist) does have 3 pre-op diets the goal is to lose the 5%. She does not really care how you do it. She just gives suggestions that many people have success with.

Diet options to choose from:

1. Induction phase of Atkins Diet - for 3 weeks

2. Protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner - for 2 weeks.

3. Protein shakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner - for 7 days.

With all three of these diets you can have salads (lettuce only) with a low (5 cal. or less) or no calorie dressing. Like Salad Spritzers. There are also some other recommendations about how to kill hunger pangs like fiber supplements etc.

If Dr. Ortiz is doing your surgery all of this info will be mailed to you in more detail but this is just an overview.

hI I AM REALLY NEW HERE AND REALLY CONFUSED ON HOW THIS WHOLE THING WORKS PIC PAGES AND REPLING. IM ALSO TRYING TO FIND POST REGARDING LBS (LAP BAND SURGERY) IN JULY . COULD ANY ONE PLEASE HELP. BY THE WAY I HAVE BEEN READING ALL OF YOUR POST FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT OBSESSED MUCH :wacko: THEY ARE ALL SO WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL. I HAVE CHOSEN DR. O TO DO MY SURGERY AND HAVE BEEN TALKING TO LORI ON A WEEKLY BASIS CANT WAIT. I AM ALSO A LOW BMI OF 31 BUT THEY SAID I AM STILL A CANIDATE. WELL I HOPE IM DOING THIS POST RIGHT I GUESS ILL SEE IN A FEW. AGAIN ALL THE HELP WOULD BE HELPFUL.

VAN

hI I AM REALLY NEW HERE AND REALLY CONFUSED ON HOW THIS WHOLE THING WORKS PIC PAGES AND REPLING. IM ALSO TRYING TO FIND POST REGARDING LBS (LAP BAND SURGERY) IN JULY . COULD ANY ONE PLEASE HELP. BY THE WAY I HAVE BEEN READING ALL OF YOUR POST FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT OBSESSED MUCH THEY ARE ALL SO WONDERFUL AND HELPFUL. I HAVE CHOSEN DR. O TO DO MY SURGERY AND HAVE BEEN TALKING TO LORI ON A WEEKLY BASIS CANT WAIT. I AM ALSO A LOW BMI OF 31 BUT THEY SAID I AM STILL A CANIDATE. WELL I HOPE IM DOING THIS POST RIGHT I GUESS ILL SEE IN A FEW. AGAIN ALL THE HELP WOULD BE HELPFUL.

VAN