11 Days!

So I just looked at my calendar and I realized that I have 11 days before my surgery. I'm frantically trying to put together a packing list of things to bring (don't want to go overboard) and get my affairs in order before I leave.

These past 2 weeks have been difficult for me. (Some female issues coming up, so beware!) I recently was told by my gynecologist that I would need to get on birth control because my periods were just too far in between (like 3 months at a time). I was tested for everything under the sun and nothing came back, so he just said it was amenorhea (absence of menstruation) and put me on the Yaz. He warned me that my first period would be tough because it would be essentially 3 periods at once. So about 2 weeks after starting BC, the mother of all periods hit. I'm on my 11th day of it and there is no sign of it letting up any time soon. Needless to say, this has completely thrown my body out of whack and made all of my pre-op diet efforts null and void. I gained back all the weight I had lost (I'm sure my water weight was off the charts!) and I just felt like a beached whale all the time. It was really discouraging, because 1 day it would say I lost 7 lbs then the next day it'll say I gained 8 then lost 4, gained 1, lost 6, gained 3....ARGHHHH!

I have to lose 12 lbs by surgery date. My starting weight was 240, so I need to get down to 228. As or yesterday I was at 234. I've notified Dr. Miranda about my situation and asked for some consideration if I'm not able to lose it all by then. I will try my best, but I am TERRIFIED I will get turned away. I've spent so much money and effort getting this all together, I will be heartbroken if it doesn't go through. Surprisingly enough, these last few weeks of dieting haven't been hard and I haven't really been tempted to cheat - if I do, I make good choices. So I know if this all didn't happen, I would have lost the required amount of weight. I've decided to kick it into high gear and do the Atkins diet for the remainder of the time. I've lost a good amount of weight on it before, so hopefully that will get me in the clear. I know it's not the best option, but I really don't know what else to do. I've added the Chromium supplement that Dr. Miranda recommended (really hard to swallow, by the way! it always gets stuck going down) so hopefully that'll help. My sister got me a week pass to her gym so I'm going to go every day next week and do cardio.

Cross your fingers, bandsters! Sorry this was such a long post, had to get this off my chest. I want this to happen more than anything. I'm 22 years old, I've been overweight since I was 10, no other program has worked for me and I want something to help me 1) achieve permanent weight loss and 2) prevent any obesity related diseases. I've been lucky enough to dodge diabetes and high blood pressure, but I don't know how long that will last without this...

Don't freak you don't need the extra stress right now. Just do what you can as far as the weight loss. I was to lose 14 pounds and was only able to lose 7 (although I thought it was more but my scale is different). We are all here for you and are cheering you on. Good luck, Lora

You'll do fine. I too did not lose all of my weight. But don't stop trying. Keep up the good work! You're almost there. Packing......do no overpack. You'll reget that you did. Just pack a small suitcase and leave a little room for keepsakes!!

Hello,

I can definitely understand your frustration. I've been having a hard go of the pre-diet myself. Today especially. For some reason, I began to stress about my upcoming banding date and binged. The last meal syndrome. I fear that I've gained back most of what I lost. Probably an exaggeration but if I don't get a hold of myself I certainly will. I wish you luck. And me too!

Lorraine

Good luck, Lorraine! We WILL get through this!

Mom12, yes, we're 1 day apart. I'll be arriving on the 8th, so I'll probably see you there!

The 3 of us will be there together, and I'm so glad. :) I haven't had a problem with the pre op diet, but I've got a lot of weight to lose, so I've been able to take a lot of weight off pretty easily.

I've been so stressed about this, I don't know why, I've been looking forward to having this done for so long. I even had a fever blister pop up this weekend! I only do that when I'm stressed. My neck and back are killing me. I've gone off of the NSAI for the surgery and it's about to kill me!

I'm coming in on the 7th on AirTran around 11:30 (I think) Mom12, what airline are you taking and when do you get in?

Hugs!!

Jena

I'll be flying into SD thru Delta at around 11:40am on the 8th - hopefully will get all my tests done that day, so I'm sure I'll see you guys there. Maybe they'll even have room to let me have my surgery that day!

Hello All ~

I have never posted to a forum...so I guess I will learn as I go. I have been considering lap band since I discovered my sister had it done a year ago. Of course, in honor of her weight loss...I gained 50 pounds! I am going through my closet to purge my "thin clothes" and am mourning...deeply mourning the days when I used to dress so fashionable. In the past three years I have gained 100 pounds and cannot seem to stop this upward trend. Middle age can't account for it all...and there is definite emotional eating and drinking going on. I am terrified to have the lap band done but see no ther choice as ideal body weight is critical to the work I do (which I cannot disclose lest my patients read). Is it worth it? Do I have to be concerned that I am getting this done out of the country? How do you all deal with the emotions underlying the eating? I HATE exercise which I know needs to change. Well, I am signing off to place all my thin clothes in a storage bin in hopes that I will fit into them again. I have bins with sizes ranging from 10 - 20!!!! Not a good night. Only positive is all the added space in my closet! Thank you in advance for listening.

Hello All ~

I have never posted to a forum...so I guess I will learn as I go. I have been considering lap band since I discovered my sister had it done a year ago. Of course, in honor of her weight loss...I gained 50 pounds! I am going through my closet to purge my "thin clothes" and am mourning...deeply mourning the days when I used to dress so fashionable. In the past three years I have gained 100 pounds and cannot seem to stop this upward trend. Middle age can't account for it all...and there is definite emotional eating and drinking going on. I am terrified to have the lap band done but see no ther choice as ideal body weight is critical to the work I do (which I cannot disclose lest my patients read). Is it worth it? Do I have to be concerned that I am getting this done out of the country? How do you all deal with the emotions underlying the eating? I HATE exercise which I know needs to change. Well, I am signing off to place all my thin clothes in a storage bin in hopes that I will fit into them again. I have bins with sizes ranging from 10 - 20!!!! Not a good night. Only positive is all the added space in my closet! Thank you in advance for listening.

Dear Dani,

You are definitely not alone. I share all of your concerns and am being banded in about 48 hours. My emotions are up and down and I realize that the band will only be a tool. I too am concerned about how/if/when I will deal with the underlying emotions. I don't want to screw this up but have a difficult time really imagining myself succeeding after so many failures. I know there's a way and have been inspired by people's lapband stories. If others can do it, I'm sure we can too. Best wishes.

Lorraine

Well, my period finally ended after 16 days of Hell. I emailed Dr. Miranda about it and told her my weight was at 234 (6 lbs lost) and she said it wasn't enough and that I had to do 3 shakes a day instead of 2 shakes and a Lean Cuisine. I actually did lose more than 6 lbs, but with my crazy period, it kept going up and down. Now I feel like I'm not going to lose enough weight by next Thursday. Really discouraging.. :(

First of all, your water weight will be gone by then. Drink lots of water. Ironically, drinking water helps get rid or water weight. Also, just follow Dr. Miranda's instructions. They will work. Just hang in there, put the scale away until you have to go, and trust your doctor.

Thanks, Paula. I am drinking as much water as I can. I know it must be sort of working, cause I'm peeing every 10 mins and it's completely clear. :) I guess I was just discouraged by Dr. Miranda's e-mail. I'm hoping it's just a language barrier thing, but the way she worded it was a bit harsh.