Proper fill key to success???

Hello,

I have a question regarding the success of lap banders. As I read this site and others I see that some people are tremendously successful and others only lose a few pounds and insist they are following the diet perfectly. Do you think having a fill done properly is the key to success? Or is there such thing as a bad fill? I am so worried I will once again fail at dieting and be fat for the rest of my life....

I will be getting fills in South Florida. Does anyone have a Dr. in this area they would recommend?

Hi there,

I think the success depends on both, the right fill and choosing healthy foods. You can have the perfect fill and eat fries and ice cream, although you may be eating less than you did before, these food choices are not going to promote weight loss.

Not to say that you can't have a treat once in a while, but on an ongoing basis the goal is still to lose weight and the band is a tool to help you eat less and digest more slowly. It's all about what you eat that counts.

Hope this helps! Best of luck, Cathy

I think the proper fill is important, you wouldn't buy a inner tube for a beach trip and not inflate it properly right?? Choosing the right foods is also key- You wouldn't poke holes in your tube since you know that doing so will deflate it..

The band can't work it's magic if you don't get to the proper amount of fill to hit that "sweet spot" and if you are sabotaging your efforts by eating around the band then you won't ever attain the goals you have set for yourself!!

I think the proper fill is important, you wouldn't buy a inner tube for a beach trip and not inflate it properly right?? Choosing the right foods is also key- You wouldn't poke holes in your tube since you know that doing so will deflate it..

The band can't work it's magic if you don't get to the proper amount of fill to hit that "sweet spot" and if you are sabotaging your efforts by eating around the band then you won't ever attain the goals you have set for yourself!!

How do you know a good fill from a bad one? Is there a certain technique I should look for?

How do you know a good fill from a bad one? Is there a certain technique I should look for?

Mostly from what I have read a good fill is when you can eat 1/3 of what you could previously eat (pre-band). It may take 3-4 or 5 fills to reach that sweet spot but on the other hand it may only take 1. Everyone is different.

I think its also dependant on your band - I've had a total of 9 fills, (I have a VG band) so thats one every two months. I've almost reached my goal so my hope is I'm done with fills and if I have to go back in - its to get unfilled.

I can tell when I need a fill, I can eat more - but the real kicker is I get hungy sooner.