Post Band Diet Question

I'm a little confused by some of what I've been reading online about "diet" after the fill. I remember Dr. O saying that he didn't care if we lose weight between banding and first fill because the real weight loss will come after the fill. Then we are to eat 3 meals per day. I remember from Weight watchers that 3 meals plus snacks were really important for keeping up our metabolism. So I'm wondering what the reason is for the 3 meals..the fullness we feel? And is that why grazing is such a no-no? I"m worried because I'm a total grazer :unsure:

Grazing is a no-no because of how the band works. We have a small pouch of a stomach that limits the amount of food we eat at one time. If we graze, we are not going to be restricted in how much we eat nearly as much as if we limit ourselves to three solid meals per day.

Plus, the foods I normally graze on are not restricted by the band. Snack foods like chips, ice cream, cookies, go down very easily. Meat and vegetables do not, so they sit in the pouch and limit the volume I can take in. Not to mention that nutritionally they are what our body needs; the snack foods are usually empty calories and high in fats and sugars.

If I eat a good meal of protein and vegetables, I end up slightly uncomfortable from my band, which cuts down on how soon I want to eat again. A little snack here and there won't do that, so I eat more than I need to.

thanks for the info. i had my first fill on 5/16, 1.8 cc. i really haven't had that much restriction, especially if i eat slow and chew well. i am not losing any more weight and i am getting discouraged as well. i hope that i can get on some regular losing schedule soon. i know i have reduced the amount i am eating. i have a shake for breakfast, either a granola bar or healthy choice dinner for lunch and a regular supper, but obviously a smaller amount.

any suggestions?

Wow Snowbird, you are so close to your goal, that's fantastic!

reneej

Thanks. I never have a "regular losing schedule." My weight stays the same, stays the same, stays the same, drives me nuts and stays the same, then I lose 4 lb. It's weird. Just stay on track and it will come. You may find you need a second fill fairly soon; my first one only lasted about 3 weeks, then I needed another one, but that was in January and my last. I don't think I will ever need another.

Ok thanks for that info it makes more sense now. I figured there was something I wasn't "getting". It's a little weird because I don't feel any fullness now that I'm eating like I did when I was on liquids only. Until I drink (and I am waiting for that hour after eating). I think I may be drinking too much.

Isn't that interesting that Dr. O told you that. He told me that the average weight loss between banding and first fill should be anywhere from 20 to 30 lbs. I mentioned to him that I was reading on the forum, that alot of people were struggling just to keep the weight off they had lost during the liquid only phase, as your calorie intake was so low. He said, with regular exercise, and eating only 1/3 of what you normally eat, you should continue to lose weight. And yes.. congratulations Snowbird! You're almost there!

I agree with ya Anita. Dr. O told me that I would lose 30 to 40 lbs before my first fill. However, I have a lot more to lose than a lot of you! I think I am on the right track tho... I had surgery May 16th and I have already lost 14 lbs since surgery day!! woo hoo! =D>

Isn't that interesting that Dr. O told you that. He told me that the average weight loss between banding and first fill should be anywhere from 20 to 30 lbs. I mentioned to him that I was reading on the forum, that alot of people were struggling just to keep the weight off they had lost during the liquid only phase, as your calorie intake was so low. He said, with regular exercise, and eating only 1/3 of what you normally eat, you should continue to lose weight. And yes.. congratulations Snowbird! You're almost there!

See that makes me feel better Anita because I got into the idea of the band believing that then I could eat normally but just less but after hearing all of the 'bandster hell' stuff I have been nearly starving myself to keep the weight off. My husband reminded me of this the other day and recommended I get back into running and start just eating normally but less than pre-surgery (which is all I can eat anyhow) and not be so concerned with the scale. Hearing what Dr. O said just reinforces this for me.

Good for you Snowbird - woo hoo.