Numbers Please!!

I started pre-op diet today, 4 Optifast shakes per day for two weeks, the shakes suck!

I would like to know from those who were on two shakes and a lean cuisine per day for their pre-op diet....how successful were you in losing weight?

I am thinking of asking for a pre-op diet change, but need some facts!

Thanks Ladies

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I opted for the two shakes and one lean cuisine pre op diet. I was told I could also have a green salad (lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and mushrooms).

I started three weeks before my surgery date and lost 18 lbs.

I always had a shake for breakfast at my desk in the mornings; either a lean cuisine (if I ate in) or a side salad (if I ate out) for lunch; depending on which option I had for lunch that same day, I planned my dinner around that. Dinner would be either a lean cuisine, side salad or shake. I did not snack and pretty much kept to this. I stair stepped about 30 minutes every other day.

I felt it was important not to drink any sodas and not to salt my food. I think stopping these two things helped me with weight loss.

I felt if I chose 4 shakes a day, I wouldn't stick to it. I have to chew something. I learned to LOVE the Lean Cuisines. In fact, here I am a week+ after my first fill, and I had a Lean Cuisine for lunch. Only ate the fish out of it and not the broccoli and rice.

Good luck!

I started pre-op diet today, 4 Optifast shakes per day for two weeks, the shakes suck!

I would like to know from those who were on two shakes and a lean cuisine per day for their pre-op diet....how successful were you in losing weight?

I am thinking of asking for a pre-op diet change, but need some facts!

Thanks Ladies

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I opted for the two shakes and one lean cuisine pre op diet. I was told I could also have a green salad (lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and mushrooms).

I started three weeks before my surgery date and lost 18 lbs.

I always had a shake for breakfast at my desk in the mornings; either a lean cuisine (if I ate in) or a side salad (if I ate out) for lunch; depending on which option I had for lunch that same day, I planned my dinner around that. Dinner would be either a lean cuisine, side salad or shake. I did not snack and pretty much kept to this. I stair stepped about 30 minutes every other day.

I felt it was important not to drink any sodas and not to salt my food. I think stopping these two things helped me with weight loss.

I felt if I chose 4 shakes a day, I wouldn't stick to it. I have to chew something. I learned to LOVE the Lean Cuisines. In fact, here I am a week+ after my first fill, and I had a Lean Cuisine for lunch. Only ate the fish out of it and not the broccoli and rice.

Good luck!

Thanks so much, what was your starting weight and BMI?

Hi Cathy

I started at 245lbs and BMI of 37 I did two weeks of 2 shakes and lean cuisine with up to 4lbs of green veg hot or cold.

I lost 15lb on day of surgery.

Just persevere. It'll happen.

How much do you have to lose?

Nicolek

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow...

I am scheduled for surgery June 5 and have decided to do the one week of protein shakes and the one salad. I don't like the taste of them either - bought something called "50 grand slam" at GNC so will try adding some other protein powder I have on hand to lessen the awful sweetness taste it has. Other than that, food's going to look and feel pretty boring for the next few weeks, right? But, in the long run, I remind myself it will be worth it. I (lol) opened a bag of cashews tonite so they will just get stale or be given away cuz I won't be eating them in the near future. Any helpful hints for getting thru the evenings in front of the tv and not fantasizing about ice cream?? any help welcome. thanks, Sufina

I started my pre-op at 315 and was 300 on surgery date. I committed to the 2 shakes a day and lean cuisine at night, but I admit, I never bought a lean cuisine. I just used a salad plate and portion controlled my regular family dinner. We had salmon and chicken and healthy stuff anyways - so I opted to do that instead. i did however cheat the last week - had a pizza, big mac, costco hot dog, etc - but that counted as my dinner. So the shakes help - stick with them.

I got hungry during the day so if I couldn't saute mushrooms at work, or forgot my cucumbers, I had a handful of goldfish crackers, put them in a bowl with a couple orange slices - and went back to my desk. I was fine with that.

It's all about portion control. You're trying to detox your organs too. It's a great way to get ready for the post-op.

Good luck and stick with it!!

I did the Costco weight loss shakes - I got used to them after a couple days and if they are bone chilling cold - they aren't bad. I have to still use them now as I PB during my cycle and Dr. Romero suggested I just avoid eating for those few days. Whatever works :rolleyes:

I started my pre-op at 315 and was 300 on surgery date. I committed to the 2 shakes a day and lean cuisine at night, but I admit, I never bought a lean cuisine. I just used a salad plate and portion controlled my regular family dinner. We had salmon and chicken and healthy stuff anyways - so I opted to do that instead. i did however cheat the last week - had a pizza, big mac, costco hot dog, etc - but that counted as my dinner. So the shakes help - stick with them.

I got hungry during the day so if I couldn't saute mushrooms at work, or forgot my cucumbers, I had a handful of goldfish crackers, put them in a bowl with a couple orange slices - and went back to my desk. I was fine with that.

It's all about portion control. You're trying to detox your organs too. It's a great way to get ready for the post-op.

Good luck and stick with it!!

I did the Costco weight loss shakes - I got used to them after a couple days and if they are bone chilling cold - they aren't bad. I have to still use them now as I PB during my cycle and Dr. Romero suggested I just avoid eating for those few days. Whatever works :rolleyes:

Thanks Calicat, I think the toughest part is not actually eating....I have decided to stick with the shakes and veggies..and if I need a lean cuisine or something to eat, I will keep it healthy and within the calorie guidelines. I have not given a specific number of lbs to lose, but so far after just day one, I am down 3 lbs. So it's working, it's tough, but it's working!

Thanks so much for your info and suppport!

Have a great day, Cathy

I start my pre-op diet tomorrow...

I am scheduled for surgery June 5 and have decided to do the one week of protein shakes and the one salad. I don't like the taste of them either - bought something called "50 grand slam" at GNC so will try adding some other protein powder I have on hand to lessen the awful sweetness taste it has. Other than that, food's going to look and feel pretty boring for the next few weeks, right? But, in the long run, I remind myself it will be worth it. I (lol) opened a bag of cashews tonite so they will just get stale or be given away cuz I won't be eating them in the near future. Any helpful hints for getting thru the evenings in front of the tv and not fantasizing about ice cream?? any help welcome. thanks, Sufina

I find keeping busy in the evening is best. If I just want to veg infront of the TV, I do something with my hands...like knit.

A friend of mine just had a baby on the weekend, so her little one is going to have several baby blankets to cuddle with, LOL!!

Best of luck, it's not easy, but it's worth it....after day one, I am down 3 lbs!!!

Take care, Cathy

Hello girlies,

I lost almost 15 lbs on doing my pre-op for 8 days. I was really getting board and quite frankly, thought I was going to puke if I ate another salad or bowl of soup!! Somethings that helped me get through were Dryer's sugar-free fruit bars (only 30 calories) and sugar free jello. I also sauted veggies using pam cooking spray, some garlic, and spices. It was delish and even lower in calories then the LC meals. Hope this helps...enjoy the journey as it will alll be over soon!!

I lost 33 lbs pre op with little to no excerise... All i did was EAS morning and EAS for lunch and a south beach dinner (chicken one) for Dinner. The snacks I had in between were no more than 1 oz of jerky at a time, almonds and Peanuts. Definitely keep yourself busy. That kept me out of the kitchen!! Hope this helps!

I swear by the EAS shakes and South Beach Diet lunches!! Good job!! I STILL eat the SBD lunches everyday! The best for low cal and tons of protein! Just wished they had more of a variety. I can only find like 5 different lunches.

Thanks!!! I swear by EAS as well even tho I don't care for the taste that much! lol! I have had a few of the SB lunches... Which ones are the best?? I'm soooooo fricken looking forward to day 21!!

Yeah thanks!! Haha!! Its all good. I have just the 17g of protein ones 110 cal. I just tried muscle milk, 22 g of protein and DANG good!! I'm soooo not a fan of any drinkable protein, but I know I need it. I have had the chicken caprese ones... that one is great... I think the Salsbury one tastes like crap!!! I will try the southwestern Chicken... THAT SOUND SOOOOO STINKIN GOOD right now!! 10 More days of soup! BLAH!! Thanks for the info! Wish me luck!