Going by myself..

Hey,

I am scheduled to go down on June 30th to be banded July 1st by myself.. I return July 3rd... anyone go it alone? Got any suggestions? Is there anyone going down at the same time or need a ride. I live in the Inland Empire and am willing to pick you up!! Female preferred! Thanks Lisa ><'

Hey Lisa,

I went by myself, and met some really great people. Everyone from the guys at the hotel, to Dr Ortiz's mom, too the others having their surgery were wonderful and supportive. I was fine, made some new friends and it was a positive experience.

So if you meet someone from the board or if go it alone you’ll be fine! Congrats on your decision!

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I also went by myself to be banded and I was worried for nothing! :rolleyes: Trust me, you'll meet alot of new friends at the OCC. I met Laurie while I was there and we went shopping on Revolution Ave. the day after our surgery and had a good time. We also scheduled our first fills together last week and we had a ball!!

P.S. Momma Ortiz doesn't shuttle the patients anymore, but you may still get to meet her, she's a sweetheart!!

Thank You for your support on this issue. I really wanted to go by myself, but my other half is having a cow and putting things in my head. I am very excited about this. Now I do feel better. Thank You again!! XO Lisa :)

BTW lisal you look GREAT!!

Your family will worry, but it is an amazing place and the care you will get is like nothing I've had here in the states.

Honestly, I was treated like a queen the entire time I was there. From the driver to the hotel staff to everyone at the OCC everyone cares so much and it's genuine too.

My step mom went with me on behalf of my worried family. She absolutely loved it! She has worked in hospitals for years and couldn't believe the level of care at the OCC. Now she wants to go back and get a band herself and is trying to talk my sister into going as well!

Take care and relax,

Jena

I also went by myself - on May 29th thru June 1. Trust me, you have NOTHING to worry about. I was also very concerned about traveling so far by myself, but once I got to San Diego and was picked up at the airport (right on time might I add), I knew that everything was going to be okay. Everyone treats you so wonderful - they take wonderful care of you. The drivers, the hotel staff, the nurses/Dr.'s at the OCC, EVERYONE! They make sure that you are comfortable and feel safe. Also, like others here have said, you will meet a lot of new friends while you are down there. You will truly NOT be all alone - trust me. While I was there, I met Miriam (banded 1.5 yrs ago), her fiancee, tammy, karina, and many others. We had a great time and hung out together after banding. You have nothing to worry about - trust me! ><'

Guest sdejong

My sister and I are on pretty much the same schedule, we are flying in on the 29th so we can get our pre-opt stuff done before noon on the 30th. We are also scheduled to have surgery on July 1. My mother will be going with both of us and she has been banded for almost 2 years (lost about 170lbs), doing fabulous... It sounds like we will being seeing alot of each other once we get down there. How exciting... Can you believe we have less than 1 month... Have you started your pre-opt? I am a teacher and the end of the year is really stressful so I plan on hitting the Pre-opt hard starting on June 11. Hope I loose enough :wacko:.

Shy

Hey,

How fun I already know someone!! =D> This is going to be fun. I am very excited and have not started the pre-op diet yet. I am planning on starting it around the 11th myself as my oldest boy is Graduating HS on the 10th,, so I don't want to set myself up. I have sort of been down this road before as I have had RNY done (open=VERY PAINFUL!!) in 2001,, Did I mention how painul it was? Lol...I did great (started at 330 got down to 150) but got re-married, had a baby and found my restriction wasn't as good and now I can eat everything. Now I am at 255, at least I didn't gain ALL of it back...

I can't believe it is coming soooo soon!! I was scheduled to have it here in the U.S., but found out the surgeon had only done one other banding over a bypass and wanted almost $20K.. fuggettabboutitt... Thank goodness for Dr. Ortiz and OCC!!

Where are you coming from? Did you say? I feel like a whinner as I am coming from a few hours away from the clinic. S.D is a fav destination for me and my hubby. We love it there!! So I will be the lonely chubby one when you get there.. I will talk to you some more later!! Thanks for writing me.. :) XO Lisa

Guest sdejong

We are coming from Washington State, not that bad we only have one layover on the way back so hopefully it will be a smooth trip. I totally understand the cost thing but also I have done alot of research into surgens and Dr. O comes very highly recommended. The doctor that did my mothers procedure wants 2X what OCC has quoted us.

Can you tell me what RNY is?

We are coming from Washington State, not that bad we only have one layover on the way back so hopefully it will be a smooth trip. I totally understand the cost thing but also I have done alot of research into surgens and Dr. O comes very highly recommended. The doctor that did my mothers procedure wants 2X what OCC has quoted us.

Can you tell me what RNY is?

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass is the RNY. I am not exactly sure how I am routed inside, but I knew I didn't want an open again!! This is going to be perfect. I am finding out that people that have had RNY are having the same problems and gaining weight again. I know the band is a tool and I plan to use it. I am sick of this!!

My Sister lives in Puyallup and my Aunt/Uncle live in Snohomish (sp?) is that near you? I am really looking forward to meeting you guys. We will have fun!

SEE MY POST BELOW FOR THE AWFUL RNY SURGERY!!

To Answer your question in full!! Here is the info on RNY:

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RNY):

There are a number of techniques currently in use for the surgical treatment of morbid obesity. The one currently favored by the New York Bariatrics Surgery team is the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. This is the most commonly performed weight loss surgery procedure in the United States, being performed about 75% of the time.

This surgery involves creating a small (less than one ounce) vertically oriented stomach pouch, as well as a bypass of most of the stomach and a varying amount of small intestine (see figure). As a result, weight loss is accomplished both by restriction of food and by malabsorption of nutrients. Ingestion of concentrated sugar is also essentially prohibited because doing so results in "dumping." Dumping is a group of unpleasant symptoms that resembles food poisoning (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, flushing, and palpitations) that occurs when simple sugars enter the small intestine without first being properly digested by the stomach. Many people also report diminished appetite after Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, as well as a change in the taste of food. By looking at the diagram of the Roux en Y gastric bypass it may seem intuitive that this configuration interferes with the normal digestion of food. This is so because the digestive enzymes normally produced in the stomach and upper small intestine continue to be made, but do not contact the food that has been ingested until a few feet down the intestine. Hence, the digestion of the food is delayed until it is already part way down the intestine.” These are additional ways the gastric bypass causes weight loss. Following RNY surgery, patients are at risk for developing anemia because of poor absorption of iron and vitamin B12. Therefore, dietary supplementation of these nutrients is required. Poor absorption of calcium may also occur. Thus, calcium supplements must also be taken postoperatively.