I don't know if this forum is right for me.

Guest cedartown

Guest cedartown

Why would you do this after investing so much money?

To the other people out there,i beg of you .PLEASE DON'T FOLLOW THESE PEOPLE!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand totally but I've just always been someone who has to test the limits of everything. For all I know my stomach may be stretched but I really don't think so.

I guess my thoughts are...I have enough stress in having to manage this change in my lifestyle, I don't want to have to worry about hurting myself or the band and blowing the whole thing. I am two days post op, experiencing major discomfort and refuse to suffer like this (although temporary) to have it all fail. I am determined to make this work and if you can get that determination too...and I can support you anytime you need it...you will meet your goals and be proud of your accomplishments!!!

Take care Cathy

Also, some Doctors let their patients have mushy foods after 1 week.

See... all Dr's have different guidelines. If you look on-line...many websites recommend you have only "clear" liquids for 4 full weeks post-op. That is not what we were all told by Dr's Ortiz and Miranda!! Cedartown said he/she doubted that the potato bacon soup Julie ate was liquid...it probably wasn't clear liquid but it is creamy and it's allowed after day 7!! Atleast that's what my paperwork says...

Lady Ruth, you made the decision to eat solids so soon on your own and that is your decision and nobody has the right to judge you for it. What you decided to do, someone else may not be comfortable with and that's what makes us all different!!

Guest cedartown

Wow,i've never saw so many people support someone in continuing a destructive lifestyle before.

As i said,maybe i'm too mean for this forum.I'm afraid these posts will encourage others to cheat.These aren't little cheating incidents,these are huge.

We are all here to lose weight & i can't see rationalizing complete insanity.

This isn't slipping & having a cookie.This is cheating & possibly ruining the whole operation.

Guest cedartown

Ruth,i'm not worried about you.You made your choice.I'm worried about the people who may read this & think it's ok.

I'm afraid you will help convince other people to quit following Dr.s orders.

Do you care to elaborate on how your weight loss is going?

Ruth,i'm not worried about you.You made your choice.I'm worried about the people who may read this & think it's ok.

I'm afraid you will help convince other people to quit following Dr.s orders.

Do you care to elaborate on how your weight loss is going?

Not as good as if I had stayed on the liquids. I've been dieting lately and have lost 6 lbs. I'm hoping my first fill will give me restriction.

Cedartown, I totally understand where you are coming from...you don't want the bad choices of others to affect those who are struggling to keep on track.

But, we are all adults and need to take responsibility for our choices and decisions. With that said, we also don't want to hear complaints from those who have made bad choices, that they are not losing weight.

We are all going to struggle at one time or another...but the goal is to lose weight...try your damndest not to lose sight this and you will succeed!!

Cathy

Guest cedartown

Restriction isn't gonna help you if you are gonna continue to "test the limits"

you will just get a fill & drink when you eat & continue to "test"

I'm gonna take a wild guess & guess that you didn't get banded at OCC..Am i right?

Guest cedartown

Julie,you seem to be the person who is angry & resentful.I'm not in a weight loss contest with anyone but myself.

I think you need to reread your post & possibly edit it for anger.We are all here to support each other.I wasn't attacking you,i was observing that other people shouldn't be telling you that what you did was ok.

It's never ok to ignore Dr's orders.

I didn't quote your post because i hope you will re read it & edit out the anger.

Also your post said "last night" you were banded on 6-04 & by my count,that is 7 days,because last night was 6-11

Also i'm a man.

Excellent point Ruth.

The three doctors who do this procedure that I investigated had three different post-op programs. One doc does a fill after three weeks. He does an agressive fill, and many of his patients are averaging a 20 pound per month weight loss. Along with his program though, is a check-in at least two times, preferably three times per week, M, W, F or T, Th, Sat.

The second doctor, and I had to go look after Ruth's post, had a plan similar to the one she mentioned. liquids for three days, and creamy soups and such for three more days, then mushy foods for three days, then after a check-up, the solids could begin (with limits).

The OCC has developed a program that they feel is a wise way to proceed. Do I damage my band if I don't adhere to them? It would depend on how far overboard I went.

Erin.... :P

You can eat ALL you want ... for now : )

My 2 cents..............

I was told by Dr.Miranda that there was no limit on liquids during the first 21 days. Liquid also includes ice-cream. I was told to drink all I want. So, that would include 1 cups of soup and 2 cups of ice cream.

I was told by Dr. Miranda that the band was not meant to restrict liquids and therefore, liquids will pass straight through to the stomach beyond the pouch. Not sure how THAT is going to stretch the pouch.

If you don't like to hear certain things in a post, then the simple cure for that is DON'T READ IT!

Re-read the forum rules. I think belittling someone is off limits and besides, it's just plain rude.

Stop worrying about other peoples pocketbook. It's none of your business if they choose to throw away $8,000.

Being rude, mean and hurtful never got anybody anywhere. So stop it! If being supportive is not in your nature, then you are right, this IS NOT the place for you!

And finally, I am SO very glad that God has chosen so few of us to be perfect! I can imagine what a dull and boring world this would be if we were all completely perfect and exactly the same as everyone else.

Excellent point Ruth.

The three doctors who do this procedure that I investigated had three different post-op programs. One doc does a fill after three weeks. He does an agressive fill, and many of his patients are averaging a 20 pound per month weight loss. Along with his program though, is a check-in at least two times, preferably three times per week, M, W, F or T, Th, Sat.

The second doctor, and I had to go look after Ruth's post, had a plan similar to the one she mentioned. liquids for three days, and creamy soups and such for three more days, then mushy foods for three days, then after a check-up, the solids could begin (with limits).

The OCC has developed a program that they feel is a wise way to proceed. Do I damage my band if I don't adhere to them? It would depend on how far overboard I went.

Erin.... :P

You can eat ALL you want ... for now : )

My surgeon recommended the following:

2-3 days of clear liquid

2-3 weeks of creamy soups, yogurt, pudding, cream of wheat, cottage cheese, food in this consistency group.

4th week start on solids starting with lumpy foods, soup with chunks for example and graduate to eating protein, greens, grains and fruit.

I guess every surgeon has different recommendations and those recommendations should be followed for your own protection.

Cathy

take a look at Dr. O's video!!!

Avoiding a band slip by Dr. O

Dr. Ortiz is just so FREAKING cute I wanna reach out and grab his cheeks and pinch them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His video is forcing me to say this..................I had severe vomitting issues 2 and 3 days after surgery. Then a week after I went home. The last one lasted for several hours and it was horrible. I promise, I swear, I never touched food!!! I was still on the clear liquid that whole time and even remained on it longer because of the vomitting I was going through. I SWEAR TO GOD I DID NOT HAVE FOOD! I SWEAR I SWEAR I SWEAR!!!!!!!!!!!

I say this because they never did figure out why I was doing that so much except to think I amy have over done it with the GAS X strips. But I really do not want them thinking I ate something when I didn't.

Support for doing bad things that could get others injured is a bad idea.

I think you gave made your position VERY WELL KNOWN now! I think you can stop now. Or........do you delight in inducing and continuing a fracus? If so, I'd gladly keep it up with you, then maybe you will leave eryone else alone.

Okay things are getting hostile and weird again and that's not what this forum is for.

Everyone has struggles, some can manage them better than others. We will all have our bad days and of course good days too!

Our goal on this forum, and the reason that I joined, was for the information and support. I am not at all happy about the negativity I have read over the past two weeks.

To be honest, I agree with Cedartown and don't want to read (and will review the forum more carefully in the future) about those who are not following the surgeon's guidelines and wonder why they are not losing weight. If you break the rules you have to take responsibility for your own actions and don't expect those of us who are following the rules to support that and condone it.

We all need support...but don't expect us to pat you on the back when you've conscientiously made a decision to sabbotage your own goalsl!

Cathy

I am bothered when the same people time and time again complain about not losing because the band isn't tight enough and they are able to "eat just like they did before being banded." Before anyone takes personal offense, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, it's just a trend I see.

I am bothered by people who come here and list all of the things they have eaten and how "bad" they have been. Then they ask what they should do. You KNOW what to do! BTW, I believe that NO ONE is bad because they ate something and also no food is bad in moderation.

I am also bothered when people who struggle, yes STRUGGLE, to keep to the guidelines of our Doctor and happen to, for the most part, be successful are slammed when they say they are sticking with the rules.

There is very little support here for people who post and say that although following the guidelines, they are really struggling. There was a post from Mom12 yesterday asking for ideas of things to keep in the fridge ready to eat. I was the ONLY person who responded! Yet when someone posts and lists all of the things they have stuffed themselves with, there are pages and pages of "that's okay, you'll do fine tomorrow" posts.

Like someone suggested, I've quit reading those threads but it really doesn't leave much to read. The posts with pictures are great and inspiring, the posts looking for kudos for not following the guidelines are not.

Dr. O told me before my surgery that the people who have been successful (they follow their patients and keep metrics) are the people who tested their band by seeing how little they can eat and not get hungry. The people who test their band by eating as much as they can to see what kind of restriction they have are doomed to fail if they don't change their attitude. He also said the guidelines they give every patient have been created from years of experience and that the patients who follow them have a much higher rate of weight loss.

Someone asked Cedar if he had ever failed at anything. What a thoughtless question. Of course Cedar has failed at things! He's overweight, as I am. However Cedar, Cathy, myself and a few others here made up our minds before being banded that we are changing our lives and the band is just one aspect of it. All we are asking for is some support for doing the right thing, when it seems the only way to get support is by doing the wrong thing.

You want to ignore your Dr's guidelines? You want to test the band by eating the same way you did before the band? You wonder why you're not losing as much weight as other people? Do you really have to ask.

We took what Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Miranda told us seriously. Don't fault us for that.

Jena

Support for doing bad things that could get others injured is a bad idea.

Using that logic, cedar, don't drive a car. Don't eat ANY food with any additives; eat only organic in specifc quantities. Don't spend more than 20 minutes on a computer because the radiation from the screen MAY cause serious problems. Don't.... see? ANYTHING you do can cause you some type of injury. No one encourages behaviors that are detrimental, but we will support that person because we care, just as a parent supports a child, or a brother supports a brother (sister to sister also) EVEN THOUGH that person has strayed a bit from a path. We're glad that person recognizes they strayed, and that is the first step in any "support program" - positive encouragement.

Okay things are getting hostile and weird again and that's not what this forum is for.

Everyone has struggles, some can manage them better than others. We will all have our bad days and of course good days too!

Our goal on this forum, and the reason that I joined, was for the information and support. I am not at all happy about the negativity I have read over the past two weeks.

To be honest, I agree with Cedartown and don't want to read (and will review the forum more carefully in the future) about those who are not following the surgeon's guidelines and wonder why they are not losing weight. If you break the rules you have to take responsibility for your own actions and don't expect those of us who are following the rules to support that and condone it.

We all need support...but don't expect us to pat you on the back when you've conscientiously made a decision to sabbotage your own goalsl!

Cathy

I adore you Cathy! ><'

And your Dr.'s recommendation is almost identical to Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Miranda.

Jena

Guest cedartown

Thank you jena. I've told everyone my only big tip.

Get a $14 ice shaver & have a blast.I put all types of liquids in mine.The best is chocolate slim fast over ice.

Thank you jena. I've told everyone my only big tip.

Get a $14 ice shaver & have a blast.I put all types of liquids in mine.The best is chocolate slim fast over ice.

I LOVE those flavored shaved ice we used to get when we were kids! I'm going to look for one this weekend!

Jena

Using that logic, cedar, don't drive a car. Don't eat ANY food with any additives; eat only organic in specifc quantities. Don't spend more than 20 minutes on a computer because the radiation from the screen MAY cause serious problems. Don't.... see? ANYTHING you do can cause you some type of injury. No one encourages behaviors that are detrimental, but we will support that person because we care, just as a parent supports a child, or a brother supports a brother (sister to sister also) EVEN THOUGH that person has strayed a bit from a path. We're glad that person recognizes they strayed, and that is the first step in any "support program" - positive encouragement.

After this comment, I think I am about ready to jump on the WILL T bandwagon!! Thanks Bud!