I don't know if this forum is right for me.

Guest cedartown

I am bothered when the same people time and time again complain about not losing because the band isn't tight enough and they are able to "eat just like they did before being banded." Before anyone takes personal offense, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, it's just a trend I see.

I am bothered by people who come here and list all of the things they have eaten and how "bad" they have been. Then they ask what they should do. You KNOW what to do! BTW, I believe that NO ONE is bad because they ate something and also no food is bad in moderation.

I am also bothered when people who struggle, yes STRUGGLE, to keep to the guidelines of our Doctor and happen to, for the most part, be successful are slammed when they say they are sticking with the rules.

There is very little support here for people who post and say that although following the guidelines, they are really struggling. There was a post from Mom12 yesterday asking for ideas of things to keep in the fridge ready to eat. I was the ONLY person who responded! Yet when someone posts and lists all of the things they have stuffed themselves with, there are pages and pages of "that's okay, you'll do fine tomorrow" posts.

Like someone suggested, I've quit reading those threads but it really doesn't leave much to read. The posts with pictures are great and inspiring, the posts looking for kudos for not following the guidelines are not.

Dr. O told me before my surgery that the people who have been successful (they follow their patients and keep metrics) are the people who tested their band by seeing how little they can eat and not get hungry. The people who test their band by eating as much as they can to see what kind of restriction they have are doomed to fail if they don't change their attitude. He also said the guidelines they give every patient have been created from years of experience and that the patients who follow them have a much higher rate of weight loss.

Someone asked Cedar if he had ever failed at anything. What a thoughtless question. Of course Cedar has failed at things! He's overweight, as I am. However Cedar, Cathy, myself and a few others here made up our minds before being banded that we are changing our lives and the band is just one aspect of it. All we are asking for is some support for doing the right thing, when it seems the only way to get support is by doing the wrong thing.

You want to ignore your Dr's guidelines? You want to test the band by eating the same way you did before the band? You wonder why you're not losing as much weight as other people? Do you really have to ask.

We took what Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Miranda told us seriously. Don't fault us for that.

Jena

Love you Jena!

Two days banded and feeling much better today!

Cathy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cedartown

Mona you asked me to stop being nasty,so i took it to pm & said it was over yet that is 2 posts now after that,that you continue to take little jabs at me & it was you that said stop the attacks.

My thoughts exactly...but you say it better!!

My 2 cents..............

I was told by Dr.Miranda that there was no limit on liquids during the first 21 days. Liquid also includes ice-cream. I was told to drink all I want. So, that would include 1 cups of soup and 2 cups of ice cream.

I was told by Dr. Miranda that the band was not meant to restrict liquids and therefore, liquids will pass straight through to the stomach beyond the pouch. Not sure how THAT is going to stretch the pouch.

If you don't like to hear certain things in a post, then the simple cure for that is DON'T READ IT!

Re-read the forum rules. I think belittling someone is off limits and besides, it's just plain rude.

Stop worrying about other peoples pocketbook. It's none of your business if they choose to throw away $8,000.

Being rude, mean and hurtful never got anybody anywhere. So stop it! If being supportive is not in your nature, then you are right, this IS NOT the place for you!

And finally, I am SO very glad that God has chosen so few of us to be perfect! I can imagine what a dull and boring world this would be if we were all completely perfect and exactly the same as everyone else.

Try reading the last 3 messages i have replied to you.

What makes you think that every comment I make on every thread is directed at you? You flatter yourself way too much!

I no longer have the time or the desire to argue with you. I have better things to do with my time. Like sleep so I can get up early and think of new ways to 'jab' at you on this forum!

You know, Dr. Miranda cautioned me NOT to have ice cream and milk shakes because they are so high in calories and fat. She said I could have sugar free of fat free fudgesicles, which I have enjoyed. All 45 sugar free, fat free calories.

She told me that having ice cream and milk shakes are two of the items that are considered "eating around the band."

God didn't make any of us perfect. However with God's help and the band, I'm going to beat this weight loss thing. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have faith in that.

I hear that my hubby picked me up from the airport from TJ and promptly headed over to our fav Chinese food place where he ordered everything I love! Trust me, it was take out and the smells in the car were more than enticing! He also ordered a wonton soup and all I had was the broth. It's not easy. Fortunately for me it's early days and I wasn't hungry.

Cedar, I get what you are saying too. We can't give ourselves permission to indulge or even have that perception because it might be miscommunicated down the line. The rules are the rules and I hope to God I don't break them but the temptations are certainly there.

This argument, imho, is no longer about whoever over ate, it's a principle argument that's gone circular. We know the rules and we have to abide by them recognizing that we may fall off the wagon from time to time.

Excellent point Ruth.

The three doctors who do this procedure that I investigated had three different post-op programs. One doc does a fill after three weeks. He does an agressive fill, and many of his patients are averaging a 20 pound per month weight loss. Along with his program though, is a check-in at least two times, preferably three times per week, M, W, F or T, Th, Sat.

The second doctor, and I had to go look after Ruth's post, had a plan similar to the one she mentioned. liquids for three days, and creamy soups and such for three more days, then mushy foods for three days, then after a check-up, the solids could begin (with limits).

The OCC has developed a program that they feel is a wise way to proceed. Do I damage my band if I don't adhere to them? It would depend on how far overboard I went.

Erin.... :P

You can eat ALL you want ... for now : )

Don't worry Will, I got all my last chance meals in the past two weeks! LOL! Now it's crunch time!

Why would you do this after investing so much money?

To the other people out there,i beg of you .PLEASE DON'T FOLLOW THESE PEOPLE!

I understand that you want those banded & soon to be banded to follow the letter of the law. However, it seems like you are casting stones, and as far as I have ever been told only HE who is without sin may cast the first stone. If you are fat, which I don't know, then you have not followed the letter of the law either and that is considered cutting your nose off despite your face. If you are fat, regardless of being banded or not, you know what it is like to fall off the wagon. I don't condone someone saying its "okay" to down that much food in one sitting, please understand. I think the word "okay" needed to NOT be apart of the support given to who ever it was. But support needed to be given, so that whoever it was that "downed" the soup and ice ream, didn't continue in a downward spiral.

Dianna

DOLITTLE - CLOSE THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P L E A S E !!!!!

Guest cedartown

I think this topic has brought more good than some of you realize.You wouldn't believe how my message box has blown up over this.

The drama is gone.Let people continue to read & post.

It's good for people to get a few thoughts out in the open on both sides.

I hate censorship in any form.

I understand that you want those banded & soon to be banded to follow the letter of the law. However, it seems like you are casting stones, and as far as I have ever been told only HE who is without sin may cast the first stone. If you are fat, which I don't know, then you have not followed the letter of the law either and that is considered cutting your nose off despite your face. If you are fat, regardless of being banded or not, you know what it is like to fall off the wagon. I don't condone someone saying its "okay" to down that much food in one sitting, please understand. I think the word "okay" needed to NOT be apart of the support given to who ever it was. But support needed to be given, so that whoever it was that "downed" the soup and ice ream, didn't continue in a downward spiral.

Dianna

I agree to a point, however, if you eat too soon, eat too much and realize it, then post it, you cannot expect those of us who are sticking to the guidelines to support that. I am not saying I will never have a cookie, ice cream or a McDonald's cheeseburger, oh I will someday. But I won't be posting it. I will be taking responsibility for my choices and getting back on track. For those who need someone to tell them they've been bad and did wrong are asking for redemption, and for those who DO NOT SAY it's okay and to get back on track to be criticized, is WRONG. We are the people that they are turning to for our hardnose attitudes, to tell them to get back on track. Although it may be comforting to say "it's okay", it's not okay and they know that! They don't want the teddy bear treatment to allow them to continue on the path to distruction, they want the tigers, who say, stop it and get back to the guidelines.

So cheers to the hardnose, no non-sense attitudes in the bunch!!!

Cathy