7 Days to Solids

AM I HURTING MY POUCH, OR IS IT JUST SLIPPING THROUGH TO THE BIGGER STOMACH? HELP

I am starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong. I am 7 days from solids and very hungry. I have not eaten solids yet and will wait to do so. My problem is that I drink clear liquids, canned and home made soups and protien drinks in larger quanties than 4 oz. , sometimes 6-8 oz. I don't gulp them down in chug after chug, but I do drink in less than 20 minutes. It feels like it is going right through without restriction.

I dropped 10 pounds the first week and nothing at all for the last 6-7 days. I know this is about healing and not the weight loss during these 21 days, but it would off set not eating. My biggest fear is that the creamy soups and protein shakes will stretch my pouch.

Do not worry. The liquids are supposed to slip right through. You may have felt some restriction at first from the swelling around the band but that is probably gone by now therefore you are hungrier. But yes, let the liquids pass right through. If they did not your band would be too tight (which would be scary being you don't have a fill). I had my first fill on May 3rd and we watch barium slip right through after the fill. You do not want liquids to hold up, if they do just think what food will do. It will never pass. Just hang tight, you will be able to eat in a week.

"My biggest fear is that the creamy soups and protein shakes will stretch my pouch."

These will not stretch your pouch, don't worry. The doctors have seen literally thousands of folks come before you, all of whom have gone on this liquid diet including creamy soups and protein shakes. Not only do you need these to keep from feeling like you're starving, you need them so that your eyes, hair, skin, teeth, bones, etc. can stay healthy! Go drink some creamy soups and protien shakes - you'll be totally fine!! :good:

Yes, I agree with everyone else. The liquids are not gonna hurt your pouch. You can drink as much as you want to.

Creamy soups, yogurt and puddings is what I am on for a month...no hon it won't stretch your pouch at all.

You need to eat these types of foods to feel fullness...broth and clear liquids are running right through and won't make you feel full.

Try a bowl of soup and I assure you, you will feel some tightness...and when you do, stop eating.

Enjoy!

Cathy :D

AM I HURTING MY POUCH, OR IS IT JUST SLIPPING THROUGH TO THE BIGGER STOMACH? HELP

I am starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong. I am 7 days from solids and very hungry. I have not eaten solids yet and will wait to do so. My problem is that I drink clear liquids, canned and home made soups and protien drinks in larger quanties than 4 oz. , sometimes 6-8 oz. I don't gulp them down in chug after chug, but I do drink in less than 20 minutes. It feels like it is going right through without restriction.

I dropped 10 pounds the first week and nothing at all for the last 6-7 days. I know this is about healing and not the weight loss during these 21 days, but it would off set not eating. My biggest fear is that the creamy soups and protein shakes will stretch my pouch.

Exactly the same for me. I can drink an entire bottle of water in one gulp if I choose to from the second day. I do not think that you can harm your pouch with liquids as they go right through the stoma and are not held in the upper pouch. Last night I had a large (relatively speaking from 1/4 cup) mug of Tortilla soup -- yup, made it again, it's that good!