I am feeling really discouraged and part of me is wondering if there might be something wrong with my band? I was banded on 5/7/08 and I am not losing weight, in fact I am gaining weight? I am dieting harder than I was before I was banded, and then I would normally lose weight. I am keeping track of my food, only eating between 1000-1200 calories a day, and drinking water like a fish. I am ready to give up. I weighed myself this morning and I am up a total of 5.5 pounds which is 183.5, and I was down to 178 2 weeks post op. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Honestly I don't know what else to differently. :help:

I am feeling really discouraged and part of me is wondering if there might be something wrong with my band? I was banded on 5/7/08 and I am not losing weight, in fact I am gaining weight? I am dieting harder than I was before I was banded, and then I would normally lose weight. I am keeping track of my food, only eating between 1000-1200 calories a day, and drinking water like a fish. I am ready to give up. I weighed myself this morning and I am up a total of 5.5 pounds which is 183.5, and I was down to 178 2 weeks post op. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Honestly I don't know what else to differently. :help:

It could just be your body adjusting? There is an effect called "whoosh" where numbers are not reflected daily in the scale and then one day you get on and bam -- five or ten pounds are gone!

I did the same thing, I lost then gained before my first fill.

You need to give yourself a break,

You don't have a lot of weight to lose so you may be at a plateu or a slower process!! Don't get discouraged!! You will drop the weight, it may take a little more time. I stopped weghting everyday. That will make you crazy!!!

Best of luck,

Donna

Jacque you have been working out alot more, maybe you are gaining muscle instead of fat...

No the same, maybe a little less than before I had the band just because of the restriction at first. This is my menu basically to sum it up:

Breakfast - Half of a egg, spinach wrap

Snack - peas or brocolli

Lunch - a WW or lean cuisine lunch

Snack - a piece of lean active cheese or WW yoguart

Dinner - Jenny Craig Dinner

Drinking over 3 liters of water a daily

I am doing the snack thing every 2.5 hrs because people said that it gets your metabolism going.

I'm doing the same thing.. Its just cause our bodies our catching up.. Jann is right about the whoosh.. Once your body comes out of shock.. you'll be fine!! PROMISE! Notice how my stats haven't changed either??

I'm doing the same thing.. Its just cause our bodies our catching up.. Jann is right about the whoosh.. Once your body comes out of shock.. you'll be fine!! PROMISE! Notice how my stats haven't changed either??

LOL......you know I keep track of your stats too!! Yes, but look how much weight you have lost? And I know you are going to say it's because you have more to lose. But I look at other people who started out basically with the same stats and the weight is flying off since their surgery and they haven't had their first fill yet!!

No the same, maybe a little less than before I had the band just because of the restriction at first. This is my menu basically to sum it up:

Breakfast - Half of a egg, spinach wrap

Snack - peas or brocolli

Lunch - a WW or lean cuisine lunch

Snack - a piece of lean active cheese or WW yoguart

Dinner - Jenny Craig Dinner

Drinking over 3 liters of water a daily

I am doing the snack thing every 2.5 hrs because people said that it gets your metabolism going.

Jacque that menu sounds good to me, does your dinners contain alot of carbs or more protein and veggies?

I was banded one day after you and I have found that although I am dieting, my weight fluctuates like yours is. I've quit weighing myself until the 1st of the month.

Two questions for you; how much aerobic exercise are you getting and how much fiber are you eating?

I find my weight goes up when I don't get enough fiber. (25-30g per day)

Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off!

Jena

I was banded one day after you and I have found that although I am dieting, my weight fluctuates like yours is. I've quit weighing myself until the 1st of the month.

Two questions for you; how much aerobic exercise are you getting and how much fiber are you eating?

I find my weight goes up when I don't get enough fiber. (25-30g per day)

Just keep doing what you are doing and the weight will come off!

Jena

I am getting plenty of fiber, I even take Metamucil ( a little trick that evette put me on to, to help control hunger)

I do step class 3 times a week

Jacque!

My stats have not changed either! ::pouts::

This happens a lot and you are in the stage that we talk about a lot on here, bandster hell. You have the band but it's not put into effect yet because you do not have a fill. I too gained weight back during this time. Don't fret honey, it happens to the best of us. Keep eating by the guidelines and exercise with those fun new videos you just got, and you will know you're on the right track and ready for your first fill!!

Stay strong, pre-op diet, post-op diet, and bandster hell is the worse of it all, but it really prepares you for the restriction when it comes. Stay positive, and know that although we fight to see instant gratification, you are still in the healing process right now, ANY weight loss during bandster hell is just an added bonus, but not expected.

You are doing great and you have the drive to succeed, don't let that fade honey! It takes 21 days to make exercise a routine without thinking twice, you're almost there!

Evette I have to truly say that I could not do this without you! You are the best! :angel:

Try reducing the starches, wrap, rice, noodles and see if that helps!

Also, the scale may not be telling the whole story..have you measured yourself..how do your clothes fit?

Good luck hon...you can do it...don't let the numbers rule you!!!

Cathy

I was at a plateau for 5 weeks after my first fill. When I went back for my second fill, I talked with Dr. Miranda about what I might be doing wrong. The first thing she asked me was if I was measuring myself. I said no, and she said do it, that I would notice a difference there even though I hadn't lost weight. She pointed out my baggy shirt, and asked if I had noticed differences anywhere else. I had to think about it, then it dawned on me that I didn't have to use a seatbelt extender on the airplanes. I did the happy dance and she did too. (Really, she is so adorable.)

So.. you are probably showing weight loss other than on the scale.

Oh, yeah... measure yourself.

I am getting plenty of fiber, I even take Metamucil ( a little trick that evette put me on to, to help control hunger)

I do step class 3 times a week

Dang girl!! sounds like you are doing everything right. No wonder you are so frustrated!

You might want to throw in one or two Special K protein waters a day if you aren't already. One bottle will give you 5g or protein and 5g of fiber for 50 calories. And they taste good too!

You guys are wonderful, and thank you so much for the support!

Jena ~ I am already doing the Special K water, drink it everyday!! (Another Evette trick) ;)

Paula ~ I feel thinner, but my clothes do not fit any different. :angry: (does that make sense) I know I have to take my measurements, & take pictures.

I have emailed Dr. Miranda to see what she has to say. I guess I was also worried that there might be something wrong with the band, but I would probably know by now right? :huh:

I feel your pain! It is so frustrating when you see everyone else just dropping pounds like crazy. My weight is dropping extremely slowly. I have a couple of thoughts that may or may not be any help.

First of all how much did you lose pre-op? I think for myself that was a factor because I had lost 7 on a previous diet then 8 the week before surgery so I probably had already reached a plateau and I know with my body it takes a while before the fat burning kicks back in.

Next I agree on the carb thing. For some odd reason carbs seem to make more difference in my loss than calories. I am watching both and still getting quite a few carbs but it is considerably less percentage-wise than my old style of eating. I also started charting exactly what I ate and how many calories it contained. You may be surprised and find out you aren't eating enough! Mamamichelle posted a link yesterday to sparkpeople.com which I have found really helpful. I don't think there is anything wrong with your band. But without a fill it is still a tool without batteries so to speak.

What about the stress factor? That will load up water weight, anything going on that could cause this? And of course the old monthly visit messes things up too.

One of my biggest problems (if you are shy don't read this one) is that my bowels are not co-operating. That believe it or not can add some weight.

I may get shot for this suggestion but if you have no fat in your diet at all you will not be able to lose according to some experts. Make sure you are getting some good fat every day (in moderation).

I have a friend who was banded 2.5 years ago and the first year (she didn't get a fill for over 6 months) saw very little loss but is now down quite a bit and hasn't gained anything back. She looks great and although it is slow for her she is really happy she got it done. That is worst case scenario and she is older than you so of course us oldies lose slower.

I would try charting what you are eating and if it doesn't start coming off then call Dr. Miranda. She can probably be more help than anyone and is such a lovely soul I am sure she would have some suggestions.

Anyway hang in there. I know that we aren't the only ones that are fighting for every pound.

Cheryl

I feel your pain! It is so frustrating when you see everyone else just dropping pounds like crazy. My weight is dropping extremely slowly. I have a couple of thoughts that may or may not be any help.

First of all how much did you lose pre-op? I think for myself that was a factor because I had lost 7 on a previous diet then 8 the week before surgery so I probably had already reached a plateau and I know with my body it takes a while before the fat burning kicks back in.

Next I agree on the carb thing. For some odd reason carbs seem to make more difference in my loss than calories. I am watching both and still getting quite a few carbs but it is considerably less percentage-wise than my old style of eating. I also started charting exactly what I ate and how many calories it contained. You may be surprised and find out you aren't eating enough! Mamamichelle posted a link yesterday to sparkpeople.com which I have found really helpful. I don't think there is anything wrong with your band. But without a fill it is still a tool without batteries so to speak.

What about the stress factor? That will load up water weight, anything going on that could cause this? And of course the old monthly visit messes things up too.

One of my biggest problems (if you are shy don't read this one) is that my bowels are not co-operating. That believe it or not can add some weight.

I may get shot for this suggestion but if you have no fat in your diet at all you will not be able to lose according to some experts. Make sure you are getting some good fat every day (in moderation).

I have a friend who was banded 2.5 years ago and the first year (she didn't get a fill for over 6 months) saw very little loss but is now down quite a bit and hasn't gained anything back. She looks great and although it is slow for her she is really happy she got it done. That is worst case scenario and she is older than you so of course us oldies lose slower.

I would try charting what you are eating and if it doesn't start coming off then call Dr. Miranda. She can probably be more help than anyone and is such a lovely soul I am sure she would have some suggestions.

Anyway hang in there. I know that we aren't the only ones that are fighting for every pound.

Cheryl

Cheryl ~

I am charting everything down, I chart on Caloriecounter.com. But today I signed up on the Sparklepeople.com site. I have always watched my carbs, so I know that is not playing any part either. Shhhhhhhhh, but I didn't lose any weight pre-op, infact I gained a pound. I kept saying I wont beable to eat that again, and would eat it! I'm not a good example of pre-op! :P

I am also on that time of the month right now. I thought it was over, but I guess not!! So I know that could be some of the weight also. One of the weird things is, is that on Saturday when I weighed myself, I was so excited because I lost the original 2 pounds that I gained back (Saturday I was also on my monthly) and today when I weighed I was up 3.5 pounds??? :(

I did email Dr. Miranda today, but have not heard back from her.

Thank you for your support!! I am on the verge of saying "This didn't work either" :lb6:

how many carbs do ya'll think is a good range to shoot for? i'm just trying to set my sparkpeople goals for nutrition... they were set so high before!

Don't tell Dr. Miranda you are still drinking the protein water. I told her what I was eating/drinking, she told me that I was to get all my protein from solids only. No more protein water. So maybe just don't mention it. :secret:

Soccermom said "[ Shhhhhhhhh, but I didn't lose any weight pre-op, infact I gained a pound. I kept saying I wont be able to eat that again, and would eat it! I'm not a good example of pre-op! "

Lol, you crack me up. I am fighting that now thinking in a couple of weeks I will get a fill and bread/pasta/rice won't be available to me anymore. It is so hard when you just love food. I tried 5 bowties last night and again really regretted it. When will I learn?

Soccermom said "I am also on that time of the month right now. I thought it was over, but I guess not!! So I know that could be some of the weight also."

I had a hysterectomy a few years ago so I'm never sure about my monthly but it seems like I have been PMSing off and on since the surgery. I think my body is confused and yours may be too.

Soccermom said "I did email Dr. Miranda today, but have not heard back from her."

If you don't hear back I would call. This has got to be incredibley frustrating and if you get too stressed about it you will only start that crazy eating thing to feel better. I know I would.

Hang in there, I know it will kick in once your body settles. If you are keeping your calories down and it sounds like you are, it has to eventually start dropping. I read somewhere that sometimes you will see nothing for weeks then a huge drop.

I'm talking to the "Big Guy Upstairs" for you. Don't give up!

Cheryl

LOL......you know I keep track of your stats too!! Yes, but look how much weight you have lost? And I know you are going to say it's because you have more to lose. But I look at other people who started out basically with the same stats and the weight is flying off since their surgery and they haven't had their first fill yet!!

You are tooo cute!! I love your fire! If you are doing everything right, I PROMISE you the weight will come off. There has to be something very very wrong with you for you to not have the weight come off. You just watch... You'll see the scale drop and you'll be like, What the CRAP!!!! I'm SOOOO EXCITED!! It just takes time! Keep doin what you're doin sista!! You're awesome!

Jacque, STEP OFF THE SCALE!!!! Don't weigh yourself more than once a week or it will beat you up! It may take you a while for your body to catch up with the changes that you are making. It sounds as though you are doing everything right, but just don't gauge your progress by what others are doing. Some people lose weight easier than others and you can't judge your weight loss progress on what others are doing. Hang in there and success will come to you.