Question for the girls

Not to get too graphic, but I am wondering has anyone else found that their band surgery threw off their monthly cycle?

Mine started about 5 days after the surgery (was not even close to starting time), thought maybe it was due to the near starvation diet we go on after being banded, and it lasted for about 3 weeks.

It started again yesterday and I am about 1.5 weeks away from when it should have started. I really only had 2 weeks break between the 2 cycles.

I have been eating about 1000-1200 calories daily now (nutritionally good calories too) so starvation theory is out the window.

Any one else having a similar experience?

Now that you mention it yes. I didn't have a period for a few months (had been regualr) and then 2 weeks after my surgery TOM cam visiting. I'll have to ask my fellow OB/Gyn folks if there is some relationship I can't think of right now. I'll repost if I find something out.

Not to get too graphic, but I am wondering has anyone else found that their band surgery threw off their monthly cycle?

Mine started about 5 days after the surgery (was not even close to starting time), thought maybe it was due to the near starvation diet we go on after being banded, and it lasted for about 3 weeks.

It started again yesterday and I am about 1.5 weeks away from when it should have started. I really only had 2 weeks break between the 2 cycles.

I have been eating about 1000-1200 calories daily now (nutritionally good calories too) so starvation theory is out the window.

Any one else having a similar experience?

Yup, started TOM about SIX days ago and still going strong. SHEESH! Should have been last week of the month for about three or four days. I expect it's gonna be erratic for a bit now.

That's funny that you mentioned it, because I have asked a couple of fellow bandsters about it. Mine is way off. I should have started the week after my surgery, and I was 2 weeks late. I was 3 weeks late this month and when I thought I was over, I wasn't! <_<

OMG.... Here comes the Aunt Flo discussion again...

For a while, i thought she was referring to riding a stationary bike once a month.... Sheeesh.... [willT covers his eyes with bonth hands and yells "It hasn't affected mine.... TMI!!!"]

Not surprising. Lots of things can throw your cycle off especially if you are a woman. I was supposed to get my period once in the middle of finals and the stress made me late by two weeks. Girls in athletics for school often stop cycling while they are training. It's just one of those things where something gets thrown out of whack biologically.

The only thing I've noticed with my cycle is my band seems to get tighter at this time?? :-? but other that that nothing has been affected....Good luck with that issue!

That exact thing happened to me. I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and, like Evette, hadn't had a period in a good few months before surgery. The 4th day after surgery..."Why hello Aunt Flo!" and then exactly 28 days later...there she was again! It's too early to be so hopeful, but I'm secretly crossing my fingers that this has somehow "reset" me to have regular cycles!

For a while, i thought she was referring to riding a stationary bike once a month.... Sheeesh.... [willT covers his eyes with bonth hands and yells "It hasn't affected mine.... TMI!!!"]

HOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor boys --

That exact thing happened to me. I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and, like Evette, hadn't had a period in a good few months before surgery. The 4th day after surgery..."Why hello Aunt Flo!" and then exactly 28 days later...there she was again! It's too early to be so hopeful, but I'm secretly crossing my fingers that this has somehow "reset" me to have regular cycles!

I looked this up and it does say that it tends to regularize cycles on every single website I went to.

I am pretty regular and had an usual cycle after surgery, it just came earlier than normal and had some in between spotting, however just figured due to change in eating, exercising etc.. so assumed it was normal. Then, exactly 28 days later again, but went back into my "normal" mode. So really not a big deal, other than the band does feel TIGHTER during PMS and Dr Acosta WARNED that during cycle my band feels tighter, I should eat softer foods and REALLY chew thoroughly, swallow slowly and STOP when I even TWINGE of fullness because then I could get sliming or spit up :wacko:

I used to have extremely heavy periods and had an IUD put in, in December and haven't had a period in the past 2 months, and since surgery I have been spotting non-stop. I think it's the anesthetic, the trauma and change in my metabolism and eating habits. I have done a total 360 from what I used to eat, which probably had very little nutritional value, to eating healthy and taking vitamins...my body is saying "WHAT THE HELL!!!!".

I am sure the cycles will regulate over time.

Take care girls!

Cathy

mine either. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: