Dilema...

Hi Everyone... I have been lurking on the forum for many many months now. And after a sleepless night trying to decide on what to do I thought i would get some input from you guys. I am ready (have been for many months) to get the band. Here's my situation. In January I made the decision to quit my well paying job to stay home with my kids. My fiance and I have saved diligently since then for my surgery. I actually have the 8 grand in my savings for the surgery. But... for some reason as much as I want the surgery I'm having a hard time letting that money go. Its kinda become a safety net for us, now that we're a one income family. I guess it comes down to, putting my family first, which is what I've always done. Anyone else been in this situation? I appreciate the supportive energy on this forum... thanks for reading this long winded post..

J.

Guest sdejong

I found it hard to spend our savings aswell but when it came down to it you are putting your family first! With you healthy your family will have you around to be active and healthy for years to come. I found that once I sent the money I felt so much better about it. Schedule your surgery and send the money.... If something major comes up it is refundable up to 2 weeks before surgery. Talk to Lori, she is amazing.... Just remember that your health is important to your families well being.

Shy

Jamie,

I don't blame you, everyone should have a rainy day fund and it feels good knowing it is there. It actually allows you more financial freedom when you have it. If you have been able to save 8k since January you clearly are able to create a "saving habit". Have you considered, taking a loan and then using the money you are saving, say $700/month to pay towards the loan balance?

It is my understanding that many of these medical loan companies will offer you 12 months, no interest and/or no payments, so you could easily knock off the loan and still keep that 8k in the bank.

Remember, even after you pay off the loan, keep saving, just start allocating the funds into longer term investments, that have growth opportunity, instead of into cash like investments.

Best of Luck!

I know how you feel. It is a hard decision to make, but I ended up saving so much on food bills and drive throughs that it was substantial amount each month. I love my band and it was worth the sacrifices to get it done. My family is so supportive of it now that I have my health and energy back. I was lucky though and got some of the amount reimbursed by my husbands insurance....I wasn't expecting it, but tried anyways and got 1/2 of the money back. It was like Christmas when that check arrived.

Well, you could look at it this way.....what good is it to put your family first if you are not healthy and fit? You family suffers when you are ill from all the diseases you get from obesity. Continue to put your family first by taking care of yourself!!!

And another 'blunt' way of putting it, what good is having a rainy day fund if you aren't around to enjoy it? Get healthy and you WILL be around to enjoy it, along with your family.

Although I am a working Mother and love my job, I can totally relate to how you are feeling. You have the opportunity to be with your children and have a nice nest egg for needs and emergencies.

However, your health and well being is important too...your family needs you and getting the band can assist you in living a long and healthy life.

I agree with the others, find out if you can get a small loan or line of credit for the surgery...that way you still have your savings and get your surgery too!

Best of Luck with your decision!

Being a Mom, I always put everyone else first...but this time I put myself first and bit the bullet to invest in my future, you deserve it too!!!