How many calories a day?

Phoenix

I'm doing horribly on my goal of 1100 calories a day.

And I'm being honest with the food diary. I use thedailyplate.com.

On the upside, I am doing very well on 8 glasses of water and 1200 calories a day. On the downside, the scale is perfectly happy to remain forever at 188. For. Freaking. Ever. :(( Yesterday's "binge" was a fun size Almond Joy. Today's was an ounce of peanut butter. On the upside, I'm doing really well at getting 90 g of protein a day and less than 25 g of fat a day, most of it unsaturated. On the downside, I SUCK at getting even 15 g of fiber a day.

I want a glass of wine. Just one. But, if I do, then I'll be at 1300 calories today. :huh: Can't do it. I just wish I'd given up the slice of toast at breakfast. Or the peanut butter.

What, in your opinion constitutes a binge? Is a 1500 calorie day a binge day?

How many of you keep a food diary? How many calories a day do you all aim for?

I aim for 1200 calories a day, sometimes I only get in 800 sometimes it's 2000... Either way I don't beat myself up over it!!

I love the show "The Biggest Loser" and I read part of their plan that said on the evening after their weigh in each week they get one 1,500 calorie MEAL (not total for the day but for one meal) so their bodies know that food will always be available and they don't go into starvation mode and stop losing. USually the meal involves some version of what they are craving or one of their old favorites. Of course it's portion controlled (like 1/2 cup of chocolate ice cream instead of 1/2 gallon), or the give it a healthy twist (like 2 slices of veggie pizza instead of 6 slices of peperoni) again it helps them feel less deprived and the big calorie boost keeps their metabolism going.

So if that plan is good enough for them it's good enough for me! Again it's not something you want to do every day but if I want a 200 calorie bag of M&M's I have it, and I either cut calories from other meals or make sure to workout and burn 200 calories so I have no guilt about it...

That's what works for me!

I totally agree with MamaMichelle.

This is not a race, you have to live and enjoy life. If you deprive yourself of the things you love, you are likely to fail.

This is why I have not been successful in the past.

You are doing great...don't feel guilty for having a treat once in awhile!!

I aim for 1200 calories a day, sometimes I only get in 800 sometimes it's 2000... Either way I don't beat myself up over it!!

I love the show "The Biggest Loser" and I read part of their plan that said on the evening after their weigh in each week they get one 1,500 calorie MEAL (not total for the day but for one meal) so their bodies know that food will always be available and they don't go into starvation mode and stop losing. USually the meal involves some version of what they are craving or one of their old favorites. Of course it's portion controlled (like 1/2 cup of chocolate ice cream instead of 1/2 gallon), or the give it a healthy twist (like 2 slices of veggie pizza instead of 6 slices of peperoni) again it helps them feel less deprived and the big calorie boost keeps their metabolism going.

So if that plan is good enough for them it's good enough for me! Again it's not something you want to do every day but if I want a 200 calorie bag of M&M's I have it, and I either cut calories from other meals or make sure to workout and burn 200 calories so I have no guilt about it...

That's what works for me!

I'm not there yet, Mama, but I like the way you think and clearly it's working for you! I'm struggling to even get 800 to 1200 calories a day. I haven't had a fill yet (surg was June 9th) but I'm just NOT hungry. I have an appointment with the fill doctor at the hospital next week and I'm going to talk to him about it. I probably will not need a fill and I don't want an unnecessary one. I just don't know why I have no compulsion to eat.

I eat because I have to at this point not because I want to. When I do prepare a meal I ensure that I'm getting my proteins first and foremost. To bring my calorie count up I have a Breyer's LF Fudgie (70 cals/serving) every single night. I also do a protein bomb in the mornings, 27 grams.

Guest sdejong
I'm doing horribly on my goal of 1100 calories a day.

And I'm being honest with the food diary. I use thedailyplate.com.

On the upside, I am doing very well on 8 glasses of water and 1200 calories a day. On the downside, the scale is perfectly happy to remain forever at 188. For. Freaking. Ever. :(( Yesterday's "binge" was a fun size Almond Joy. Today's was an ounce of peanut butter. On the upside, I'm doing really well at getting 90 g of protein a day and less than 25 g of fat a day, most of it unsaturated. On the downside, I SUCK at getting even 15 g of fiber a day.

I want a glass of wine. Just one. But, if I do, then I'll be at 1300 calories today. :huh: Can't do it. I just wish I'd given up the slice of toast at breakfast. Or the peanut butter.

What, in your opinion constitutes a binge? Is a 1500 calorie day a binge day?

How many of you keep a food diary? How many calories a day do you all aim for?

What is a Protein Bomb?

What is a Protein Bomb?

I got mine at GNC. It came in a box with like 30 of them. It's just a liquid container packed with proteins, 27 g, that you swig back. This set is peach flavoured. I find them very sweet but it is what it is. As long as it does the job, I'm good with that! I like the convenience of them over the process of making homemade shakes. I also keep one in my purse in case I forget to have one before I leave the house in the morning.

It is probably the protein bomb that is keeping you from feeling hungry at all. I wouldn't complain about never being hungry though. Your body knows what you need just listen to it.

I had to start taking the bombs because I wasn't getting enough intake. I went through a phase where I knew I could eat anything in any amount and I forced myself into bandster rules. Then it turned completely around where I just didn't feel the need to eat at all. That's been happening for three weeks now. I'm not complaining, I just don't understand it. I was actually wondering if the fat shifted around my stoma giving me natural restriction again but I don't know if that's scientifically right. That's what I want to ask the doctor next week when I go in for my fill or non-fill whichever the case may be.

The bulk of my weight has come off of my torso, particularly my belly and butt and in today's pictures I see my back has changed significantly as well. Actually, I didn't see that hubby pointed it out on his larger monitor. My real concern is if I don't meet the 1200 cals per day rule my body will go into starvation mode and hold the last 40 or 50 pounds. Yikes!

Hi

I am totally the same as mamamichelle.

I have ONE glass of wine if I want it ,pizza, chocolate and chips but now I eat the amount of a skinny person.

1 slice of pizza

1 small chocolate bar

a handful of chips or a 100cal bag of lays etc. BUT NOT ALL ON THE SAME DAY!!!!

I am happy with my weight loss so far and don't feel deprived.

Hope this helps.

Nicolek

I do like the "biggest loser" idea. I think once a week or so this makes sense to keep your body guessing. I've also heard you need to switch up your exercise or your body also gets used to the same workout routine.

I do appreciate all the tips on this forum.

:cheerleader: for the OCC forum.

Okay.. here's my confessions.. I do not exercise, other than the walking I do every day. Don't know why, just not into it these days. I can get back in the Dragonboat on August 15th, that will be 2x/wk, 1 hr 10 min. practice. Definitely a good workout. I will also hit my ball again, and work hard on my crunches. I do not keep calorie count, protein count, or anything else. (Which is why I probably didn't succeed on W.W.) I tried at the beginning, but just kept forgetting to do it. I do not eat enough veggies. No where near enough. I take a multi-vitamin, but not biotin. (Not really sure what that's for again) I eat alot of protein, some carbs, and fruit. Low calorie fudgsicles and ice cream sandwiches. I try to get my water in, and have been getting better lately. Hmmmm.... what else. Oh... when I've been out with the girls (especially the last dragonboat festival), I drank way, way, too much wine! Had a blast, but I know it wasn't good for the calorie count. I am fluctuating between 30 lbs and 32 lbs lost. Once I can get it to stay closer to the 32, I will update my ticker but not until. Camping and the beach coming up for a week Aug 1st. I'll really have to watch what I'm eating and be really careful. I've been really good with eating junk food. Next to nothing. I do love my cheese and crackers though. Oh.. by the way.. does anybody know of a "low carb" cracker?? Thanks!

Hi, I'm new but have you ever taken parmesan cheese, grated and baked it for awhille. It makes great crackers you can make them the size you want.

Good with a salad and if you use parmesano reggiano really good taste you'll have to watch it as far as time to get them crispy and not burned. also I put them on parchment paper

Chrissy

Okay.. here's my confessions.. I do not exercise, other than the walking I do every day. Don't know why, just not into it these days. I can get back in the Dragonboat on August 15th, that will be 2x/wk, 1 hr 10 min. practice. Definitely a good workout. I will also hit my ball again, and work hard on my crunches. I do not keep calorie count, protein count, or anything else. (Which is why I probably didn't succeed on W.W.) I tried at the beginning, but just kept forgetting to do it. I do not eat enough veggies. No where near enough. I take a multi-vitamin, but not biotin. (Not really sure what that's for again) I eat alot of protein, some carbs, and fruit. Low calorie fudgsicles and ice cream sandwiches. I try to get my water in, and have been getting better lately. Hmmmm.... what else. Oh... when I've been out with the girls (especially the last dragonboat festival), I drank way, way, too much wine! Had a blast, but I know it wasn't good for the calorie count. I am fluctuating between 30 lbs and 32 lbs lost. Once I can get it to stay closer to the 32, I will update my ticker but not until. Camping and the beach coming up for a week Aug 1st. I'll really have to watch what I'm eating and be really careful. I've been really good with eating junk food. Next to nothing. I do love my cheese and crackers though. Oh.. by the way.. does anybody know of a "low carb" cracker?? Thanks!

I'm not there yet, Mama, but I like the way you think and clearly it's working for you! I'm struggling to even get 800 to 1200 calories a day. I haven't had a fill yet (surg was June 9th) but I'm just NOT hungry. I have an appointment with the fill doctor at the hospital next week and I'm going to talk to him about it. I probably will not need a fill and I don't want an unnecessary one. I just don't know why I have no compulsion to eat.

I eat because I have to at this point not because I want to. When I do prepare a meal I ensure that I'm getting my proteins first and foremost. To bring my calorie count up I have a Breyer's LF Fudgie (70 cals/serving) every single night. I also do a protein bomb in the mornings, 27 grams.

Jann, I was banded only 5 days ago now and since then i also have no compulsion to eat and only eat (should i say drink due to liquid diet) because

i have to. I battle due to the full sensation to drink 2 opitfast shakes and losing around a kilo per day (which is about 2.2pounds) since being banded but i am concerned im not getting enough protein.. what is a protein bomb??? i know the the opifast only has 17g of protein. :unsure:

• 1 month later...

I'm on day 13 post surgery and am down 21 pounds. I am having trouble getting protein in. I really am sick of all the shakes I've had to endure pre and post surgery. Today I mixed an Unjury unflavored protein packet in with 2 tablespoons of hummus. It was tolerable. I have visions of eating real food again, but don't know when exactly I'll be able to do so. If I mix a shake with icecubes, it tends to be too thick, making me burp. The small baby food jars (pureed chicken and broth) has been helpful, but not enough grams of protein. I'm also trying to stick to not mixing food and drinks. I time myself after a meal. Today's liquid has been 1/2 cup coffee, 2 cups of tea, and 1/2 bottle of Propel. I know I need to drink more liquid. I'm also using a heating pad on my belly that has been making gurgling sounds. It also helps my cold hands.

Any idea how much longer until I can chew something, and swallow it? (I must admit if I try regular food, I chew it up and then spit it out).

I'm on day 13 post surgery and am down 21 pounds. I am having trouble getting protein in. I really am sick of all the shakes I've had to endure pre and post surgery. Today I mixed an Unjury unflavored protein packet in with 2 tablespoons of hummus. It was tolerable. I have visions of eating real food again, but don't know when exactly I'll be able to do so. If I mix a shake with icecubes, it tends to be too thick, making me burp. The small baby food jars (pureed chicken and broth) has been helpful, but not enough grams of protein. I'm also trying to stick to not mixing food and drinks. I time myself after a meal. Today's liquid has been 1/2 cup coffee, 2 cups of tea, and 1/2 bottle of Propel. I know I need to drink more liquid. I'm also using a heating pad on my belly that has been making gurgling sounds. It also helps my cold hands.

Any idea how much longer until I can chew something, and swallow it? (I must admit if I try regular food, I chew it up and then spit it out).

Eight days. You're on liquids for three weeks.

I could deal with Progresso Cream of Mushroom and the unflavored protein, put thru the blender to puree the mushroom chunks. Same with the Potato & Leek soup from Safeway Selects.

Jann, I was banded only 5 days ago now and since then i also have no compulsion to eat and only eat (should i say drink due to liquid diet) because

i have to. I battle due to the full sensation to drink 2 opitfast shakes and losing around a kilo per day (which is about 2.2pounds) since being banded but i am concerned im not getting enough protein.. what is a protein bomb??? i know the the opifast only has 17g of protein. :unsure:

I just got some of the Isopure from GNC. The Dutch Chocolate is really good. A lady I work with said the Vanilla wasn't that good though.

I mix it in the blender with a banana and a teaspoon of PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter (85% less fat than regular peanut butter) and it makes an awesome shake! The Isopure has only 210 calories and 50 grams protein in 2 scoops so it's great!

I was banded 8/14 and go on solid good today but am still going to do one of these shakes instead of a meal because they are soooo good!!!!

I just got some of the Isopure from GNC. The Dutch Chocolate is really good. A lady I work with said the Vanilla wasn't that good though.

I mix it in the blender with a banana and a teaspoon of PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter (85% less fat than regular peanut butter) and it makes an awesome shake! The Isopure has only 210 calories and 50 grams protein in 2 scoops so it's great!

I was banded 8/14 and go on solid good today but am still going to do one of these shakes instead of a meal because they are soooo good!!!!

Agreed, the Isopure Vanilla blows. It's not bad in yogurt though.

For vanilla, the Muscle Milk is the best one out there.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about the protein bomb but have to tell you the best thing I ever found and wish I'd known right after surgery is the protein bullet. It comes in fruit punch flavor and I put that in crystal light fruit punch and dring first thing in the am. It has 48 grams of protein and tastes really good with the crystal light otherwise way too sweet. Easy way to get all that protein in.

• 2 weeks later...
I had to start taking the bombs because I wasn't getting enough intake. I went through a phase where I knew I could eat anything in any amount and I forced myself into bandster rules. Then it turned completely around where I just didn't feel the need to eat at all. That's been happening for three weeks now. I'm not complaining, I just don't understand it. I was actually wondering if the fat shifted around my stoma giving me natural restriction again but I don't know if that's scientifically right. That's what I want to ask the doctor next week when I go in for my fill or non-fill whichever the case may be.

The bulk of my weight has come off of my torso, particularly my belly and butt and in today's pictures I see my back has changed significantly as well. Actually, I didn't see that hubby pointed it out on his larger monitor. My real concern is if I don't meet the 1200 cals per day rule my body will go into starvation mode and hold the last 40 or 50 pounds. Yikes!

It is VERY important to drink a lot of water (at the same time) with the protein bombs/bullets or whatever. Protein is very hard on your kidneys. You might think about diluting a bomb in 20 oz of water. Dilute it so that it is like "vitamin water" brand drink. You will get your protein and water.