Curious about CARBS

So as someone who has tracked fat, calories, protein and fiber for ages, I never once looked at how many grams of carbs I eat. I am just wondering if anyone has a gram range they shoot for? I've had almost 100 grams today. The only info I found that didn't sound wacky was on Wikipedia and they said if you are trying to lose, stick with around 150 a day (based on a 1600 cal-per-day diet). So about 100 sounds good in my (uninformed) opinion...

Anyone else looking at their carb intake??

Karen

p.s. I am staying away from packed food as much as poss, and trying to get carbs from fruits and veggies

So as someone who has tracked fat, calories, protein and fiber for ages, I never once looked at how many grams of carbs I eat. I am just wondering if anyone has a gram range they shoot for? I've had almost 100 grams today. The only info I found that didn't sound wacky was on Wikipedia and they said if you are trying to lose, stick with around 150 a day (based on a 1600 cal-per-day diet). So about 100 sounds good in my (uninformed) opinion...

Karen

p.s. I am staying away from packed food as much as poss, and trying to get carbs from fruits and veggies

I track my food and exercise on <http://www.myfitnesspal.com> It is a free site that lets you set up your calorie, carbohydrate, protein, fat and exercise goals. I have to log what I eat, if not, I get into trouble and think I am doing ok, etc... Anyway, according to their calculator, for someone following 1400 calories a day I should be getting about 193 carbohydrates a day, 47 fat grams a day and 53 grams of protein. Prior to surgery, I would hit the Carb quotient daily. I may hit the fat and I would always go way over on protein. Since having surgery, my carbs are WAY down... Today, I had 33 grams of carbohydrate (typical since surgery) and 68 grams of protein and 28 grams of fat (I had salmon for dinner - pretty high in fat but the good kind). I am not sure if this is what we should be striving for or not, but I can say I haven't really been hungry since I started eating this way. I am only 3 weeks out from surgery so I know I still have some restriction, but I can honestly say before surgery I only ate maybe 300 - 400 calories more than I am now. Today I have eaten 761 calories and I am done for the day with food. That is one of my higher days. Typically, I run between 600 - 700 calories daily. I am not weighing myself and have only done so once, since surgery (lost 10 pounds!!!) so I am not sure if what I am doing is good or not. Only time will tell.

Well, that plus my dietician I see next week. I didn't have my surgery at OCC so I have to see a dietician monthly for the year following surgery as part of my follow up plan. It really helped me in the months building up to the surgery because it made me accountable. I know this is long, but I thought some detail may be interesting and help with comparisons. I am always curious to know how much people eat post surgery and have often wondered if I am lower, or higher than someone else at the same stage as me?

Good luck with your plan and share any successes you have! I am always willing to change course if this doesn't work. :) Although, I saw someone I knew today, on the street who hadn't seen me in a couple months and she commented on how much weight I had lost. That felt great! :)

Karen

I am a carb watcher, though I don't have a 'set' daily limit. Anything pre-packaged or processed cannot have more than 5 grams of carbs per serving. If it's got more... I don't eat it. With that being said, if it's fresh fruit and/or veggies I just go for it. It's healthy!! Our bodies need the good stuff :)

Amber

I don't 'count' carbs, but I avoid them as much as possible. No rice, pasta, bread, sugar, etc. And, not only is it healthier, but I feel better than ever not having so many carbs in me. More energy, sleep better, no naps, weight loss and just an all around feeling of wellness. Getting carbs out of my life was the best thing I could do.

Now, don't get me wrong, I still get carbs, just not too many of them. Your body doesn't need all that much anyway.