seriously only 2 bites?!

so lately i've been reading about quite a few people who cannot eat more than 2-5 bites per meal. period. this doesn't seem right to me at all - i was under the impression that with fill, you should be eating about 1/3rd the amount you would without a band. i'm thinking that most people who have gotten banded ate far more than 15 bites before being banded! why else would we need banding?!

i love my food too much to only 3 bites of food and then have to quit for another 3 hours! besides, how are you supposed to get any nurishment with only 9 bites of food per day?! :huh:

are these people simply too tight? interestingly enough, many of them have been filled at the occ... makes me wonder if it's worth the big trip. certainly can't afford to go and then go back for an unfill!

just curious... will be going for first fill soon enough ^_^

jules

Hi Jules...

Part of the miracle of the lapband is to make me feel full much sooner than before. I ate 5 bites, and was full.

The secret to getting nourishment is to choose the bites wisely. I choose grilled pork for most of mine, which gave me the protein. I did have a couple of roasted pepper pieces (kabobed) and some onion. I have no room for wasted calories, like I've been doing all my life.

I WANT my band tight. I love my food as much as you do, I'm sure, but I felt as though I'd just run through the Thanksgiving line for the second time, and was laying on the couch groaning. I WASN'T hungry anymore; I felt full. I want to shout 'Hallelujah' for that, because I used to eat out of habit, and stuff until I couldn't be stuffed any more. In a way I still 'stuff' until I can't be stuffed any more.

Same goes for pizza. I am full after a slice or two (depending upon the size of the slice). Do I want MORE?? Yes, but there's no room for it. I'm TOTALLY stuffed. I used to eat EASILY 6 slices... and now I eat 1/3 of that amount.

Bill

Once you get used to the band lifestyle, you will be happy to be full on 3-5 bites. It's when you have no restriction and can eat endlessly, because you are constantly hungry that is difficult...that's when your willpower has to control your portions.

Most can eat 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of food, protein, veggies, grains and fruit (in that order). I rarely get to grains and fruit at a meal. I eat fruit for a snack, if I need one.

You will do fine!!

I had my 3rd fill and am fairly confident that I am very near my sweet spot. I can eat about 3/4 cup total. If I follow the band rules with this fill, I can get enough nutrients ( I use fitday.com to make sure). I eat about 3 oz. protein or add unflavored protein to something else I am eating when I feel a bit too tight for harder to chew protein. I then have room for a few bites of veggies, fruit and the carb of choice. I can't do bread, even whole grain unless it is really well toasted. I do much better with whole grain crackers. I do have potatoes because they go down really well but only a couple of bites because the nutritional value isn't great. To make sure I am getting everything in I have one protein shake a day with lots of fiber in it (that covers about 1/3 of my protein and all of my necessary fiber intake). I try to make sure that is the only liquid cals I am getting in a day but I find it hard in the summer because I love an ice cream. I make sure and only treat myself once in a while. I have decided as of today that the only time I can have ice cream is the day after weigh in and then only light ice cream. I don't have trouble keeping my cals down but ice cream is wasted on the band.

Hi Jules,

I have had the band for almost 2 years and have had a great fill for 3 months now (I just had a baby). I've lost about 33 lbs in these 3 months and have eaten more than 2-5 bites at lunch and dinner for sure. I eat a pack of meat (those individual servings like 100 calories) at lunch with a pickle. Dinner I usually have a veggie burger patty and I just eat it really really slowly. Those are way more than 5 bites. I also supplement with protein (liquid) twice a day and get lots of fiber. I do snack on fruits (try to) and maybe a couple crackers or something too. I try to get a minimum of 1,000 calories a day and I usually do either cardio or weight training daily. Personally I wonder if someone eating 2 bites per meal is too tight, that seems really extreme to me. I've had that happen, where 2 bites in I get something stuck, I took too big of a bite or ate too quick, sometimes that means hours of waiting for it to pass. But if you take it slow it shouldn't be a problem getting a small meal in. Mornings I've always been too tight so I mix protein powder with milk. Anyway, my point is that I eat way more than a couple bites at a time, if all goes well, and I've been losing 10 lbs per month, which is ok with me!

As for your first fill, they usually are pretty conservative until you adjust and see if it's ok. I know a lot of people are talking about "aggressive" first fills but I've been there, and it's best to take it slow!!! Having to go back for an unfill is NOT FUN!

Good luck! I bet you can't wait to start getting fills! It's great but there are days when I would KILL for a giant meal of chinese food...then I am glad I have the band to stop me!

Karen

so lately i've been reading about quite a few people who cannot eat more than 2-5 bites per meal. period. this doesn't seem right to me at all - i was under the impression that with fill, you should be eating about 1/3rd the amount you would without a band. i'm thinking that most people who have gotten banded ate far more than 15 bites before being banded! why else would we need banding?!

i love my food too much to only 3 bites of food and then have to quit for another 3 hours! besides, how are you supposed to get any nurishment with only 9 bites of food per day?! :huh:

are these people simply too tight? interestingly enough, many of them have been filled at the occ... makes me wonder if it's worth the big trip. certainly can't afford to go and then go back for an unfill!

just curious... will be going for first fill soon enough ^_^

jules

I have had 3 fills now and when I eat a meal I am usually eating around 3-4 bites (regular sized) but it takes me many more bites (very small) and it takes me a long, long time to eat it. I take additional protein (vanilla flavored powder) in my morning coffee (I have to have something hot to start the day and loosen my band). The scale hasn't moved much since my fill, but I know it will soon. Because it takes me so long to eat, it feels like I am eating much more than I used to. I have to choose wisely what I consume as I feel full most of the day, but feel hungry in the evening. I also take vitamins and a metamucil capsule so I don't get "stuck".

Since my first fill I can only eat 2-4 bites and then I am full. This may or may not change because I was filled only 10 days ago, your surgery date I believe. Anyway as previous posters have said somehow because it takes so long to eat that amount and the chewing involved you really do feel like you are eating more. Yes I am having a hard time in my head because my head wants me to eat like I used to, but my body won't let me. That's the beauty and I hope eventually I'll just not long for the large portions I once could put away. This is a process and part of that is giving up our old unhealthy styles of eating. Don't be scared as everyone here is so supportive and explains things so well it really has helped me to understand this whole process.

Best to you and I hope you are doing well. How's the creamy soup stage going? Have you found a favorite one to keep you happy, happy girl?