Pre-op and post-op diet ~ How long total?

vix

I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question, but I looked all through the threads and the OCC main site, and I can't find out how long one needs to be on the pre-op and post-op diet. I am set to go to a conference with my husband for a week on September 14th and I am wondering how much time I need to be able to be on full diet by this time. If I can get into OCC to be banded, do I have enough time to do all of the weeks they require?

Also, I can't seem to find out anywhere a straight answer on exactly which weeks are clear liquid, full liquid, etc. I read somewhere that someone had written that they went out the night before surgery and had a Mexican meal, but I thought that was against everything I've ever heard about surgery.

When I went to my consult here in my town about having surgery here, the doctor at the center said that he doesn't require a pre-op diet except that only clear liquids 24 hours before surgery. Since I am going to go to OCC, I want to find out what their requirements are.

Oh, and lastly, I never have heard anyone say anything about baby food. I know this is probably funny but I know someone who did an entire diet with baby food. lol

Thanks guys! ;)

I apologize if I'm asking a redundant question, but I looked all through the threads and the OCC main site, and I can't find out how long one needs to be on the pre-op and post-op diet. I am set to go to a conference with my husband for a week on September 14th and I am wondering how much time I need to be able to be on full diet by this time. If I can get into OCC to be banded, do I have enough time to do all of the weeks they require?

Also, I can't seem to find out anywhere a straight answer on exactly which weeks are clear liquid, full liquid, etc. I read somewhere that someone had written that they went out the night before surgery and had a Mexican meal, but I thought that was against everything I've ever heard about surgery.

When I went to my consult here in my town about having surgery here, the doctor at the center said that he doesn't require a pre-op diet except that only clear liquids 24 hours before surgery. Since I am going to go to OCC, I want to find out what their requirements are.

Oh, and lastly, I never have heard anyone say anything about baby food. I know this is probably funny but I know someone who did an entire diet with baby food. lol

Thanks guys! ;)

Hi again, The pre op diet length varies, they would like you to lose 5% of your body weight. I did it for almost 3 weeks others do it for one. I did two shakes a day and a lean cusine for dinner. Post op is the same for all...3 weeks liquids. When you email OCC they will send you all this information. Clear is a minimum of 3-7 days, then you get to add liquid yogurt, then protein drinks and cream soups. It's not easy but with the support from the forum and friends and family it is done every day.

Pam

Thanks guys! ;)

My experience was a little different (I had mine done here in the States, at a local hospital's weight loss center program). I started on what they call "full liquids" 10 days prior to the surgery. This means things like soups, oatmeal, polenta, cream of wheat, puddings, etc. The goal is to lose some weight, but also to shrink your stomach and your liver too--some obese people have EXTREMELY fatty livers, and it makes it more difficult for the doctor to get in there & rummage around in between yer organs if your liver is too big.

Twenty-four hours before surgery, I was on clear liquids, things like broth, tea, water, sugar-free Jello. Boring, yes, but necessary to make sure you're emptied out.

Once you've had the surgery, you're on that same kind of clear liquids diet for about 3-5 days after, so that the band isn't stressed and can heal properly. To me, this was the hardest stage, as I seriously felt bloated & could hear it all sloshing around in my tummy! Don't worry about hunger though, 'cuz by this time, you're just generally not hungry at all while you're healing.

After the 3-5 day clear liquids (depending on what your physician or dietitian tells you), you go back to full liquids for about two weeks. It's not so bad, 'cuz there's plenty of variety of stuff out there, and you'll be amazed at how little it takes to actually fill you up anyway! Your focus and attention will start to wander to other things besides food; food just won't be the most important thing in your life anymore.

About 3 weeks out, I started a "purees" phase, according to my doctor's rules. Prepares me for more solid foods, gives some bulk back to the diet, but is still smooth & chopped up enough to pass through easily. This is the phase I'm in now, and I just found a great cookbook that is making pureed food eminently tolerable! Last night, I made a zucchini and chicken italian sausage white lasagna using the sliced zucchini instead of pasta; the flavor was outstanding, even after I put it in the food processor!

And about 4 weeks after my surgery, I go back to "normal" foods, albeit with vastly different eating habits. And it's working so far quite well, this morning's weigh-in was 31 lbs. lighter than when I started that pre-op diet on June 30! Not too shabby!

My experience may be different again...I was banded here in Canada.

My pre-op diet consisted of 4 Optifast shakes per day for two weeks.

My post-op diet was longer than that of the OCC. 4 days of clear liquids, 2 weeks of full liquids (creamy soup stage), two weeks of mushy foods (mashed or blended foods). I started on solids July 11/08.

I believe my pre-op and post op diet plan was the strict of all that I have seen on the forum.

If you don't have to do one...you have lucked in!!!

Good Luck!!