Protein bars VS. Protein shakes

I was just wondering what the difference is between eating a protein bar and drinking protein shake. I read the labels on the bars and noticed that some are very high in sugar or fat. But if you find one thats comparable to your shake such as same cals, fat, sugar, prot, and such, isn't this pretty much the same? I am just wondering before eating a protein bar, what you guys think or know about them. Is the liquid protein shake better or different somehow? I know that we are not suppose to rely on these after the surgery, but I am mostly referring to pre-op diet, although I am sure that I will use these after the surgery when needed. Thanks

Jessica

I do believe that you can have the protein shakes or bars for you "non" food meals. I remember seeing it on the papers I received. If you are careful to compare the labels like you have, you should be fine during this pre-op time. Now of course after surgery you won't be able to eat them until after the 3 week liquid phase as you know. You will find things you can and can't eat for a few weeks then you may have no restriction until your first fill. This is the willpower stage, and it's tough.

I do believe that you can have the protein shakes or bars for you "non" food meals. I remember seeing it on the papers I received. If you are careful to compare the labels like you have, you should be fine during this pre-op time. Now of course after surgery you won't be able to eat them until after the 3 week liquid phase as you know. You will find things you can and can't eat for a few weeks then you may have no restriction until your first fill. This is the willpower stage, and it's tough.

Thanks Julie. I just asked because sometimes it gets old drinking so much liquids. Since I am spending the next 4 weeks pre-op doing mostly liquid, I thought maybe I could sometimes substitute a protein bar for the shake just to mix things up a bit.

Jessica

I would ask Dr. Miranda, but one of the choices for pre-op diet is the Atkins phase one diet, and the one I did was the two protein drinks for breakfast and lunch and a lean cuisine for supper. I cannot imagine how a protein bar would be any different than one of these solid meals.

I would, however, check with Dr. M.