Low Carb vs Low Calorie

Which do you guys do?

I have been doing low carb trying to keep from gaining until my first fill, but as you all know low carb can get old pretty fast... I haven’t had any bread, pasta, sugars, crackers or anything other then meat and vegetables THAT’S IT... Kinda getting bored with that diet really fast... I know this is going to sound crazy but I am kinda scared to count calories, I am scared I am going to gain and lose. I know it’s a mind thing because I have ALWAYS done low carb and so trying to wrap my head around counting calories and losing weight doing it is kinda hard to comprehend. I know me and as soon as I go to counting calories, I feel like I am going to use all my calories up in carbs….Does this make sense to anyone? I am kinda discouraged right now because I am holding steady at 185 and have really been good with my eating and can’t seem to move the scale so I need some advice right now.

I do both, I try not to eat too many carbs, which are truly my weakness, I love bread and potatoes. I do it in moderation.

I eat protein and veggies first and find that I can barely make a dent into the potatoes or rice.

Some days I basically eat protein only. I really haven't been counting calories so much as watching what I eat. If I eat out or want something a little higher in fat or calories, I watch my daily intake to accomodate.

Good luck with your fill. My restriction comes and goes...I am hoping to have a second fill on Aug 20th.

Which do you guys do?

I have been doing low carb trying to keep from gaining until my first fill, but as you all know low carb can get old pretty fast... I haven’t had any bread, pasta, sugars, crackers or anything other then meat and vegetables THAT’S IT... Kinda getting bored with that diet really fast... I know this is going to sound crazy but I am kinda scared to count calories, I am scared I am going to gain and lose. I know it’s a mind thing because I have ALWAYS done low carb and so trying to wrap my head around counting calories and losing weight doing it is kinda hard to comprehend. I know me and as soon as I go to counting calories, I feel like I am going to use all my calories up in carbs….Does this make sense to anyone? I am kinda discouraged right now because I am holding steady at 185 and have really been good with my eating and can’t seem to move the scale so I need some advice right now.

Hey Trina,

I am kind of opposite of you. I always would count calories (in the past and I do now again) and I never once looked at my carb intake until recently. With the band and my usual daily food routines, I get about 1000-1100 calories and 100-150g carbs. I have no clue if this is "good" but I have been losing so I am not worried about it. I also don't deprive myself of something like crackers because then I'll just overeat if I deprive myself.

Maybe switch your routine around? Are you counting protein and fiber grams daily? I've found in the past that those 2 things plus drinking lots of water really can kickstart weight loss. Hey how is your Isopure flavor? When is your fill? I hope it goes great!

Karen

I watch both as well. It is geat to hear from you, Trina!

So when you reach the solid stage you are supposed to count calories? I thought that was one of the things Dr. O said I didn't have to do? If so please someone help me figure out how to do it?

Before you get a fill that kicks in many of us do (or did) count calories. Once you hit a (I say “a” since mine come and go) fill sweet spot you don’t have too, you’re not as hungry and can’t eat as much with a good fill anyhow so there’s really no reason to count calories unless you’re being silly and drinking them in.

I used this time as an opportunity to be smart about my food intake and as an opportunity to stop some of my bad habits of eating (Fast food, high calorie junk).

Its really up to you to find what works.

Best,

Lisa