Depressed, frustrated, giving up...oh what to do

I had surgery in November 07. I dropped 40lbs before january. Well, now since January I havent lost but have slightly gained some of the weight.

I have had one fill and the docotr says it is tight. On occasion if I dont eat slowly or eat the wrong thing it comes back up. I meat with the nutrinist and one time they said up the protein, next time they said it was too much, another time they told wrote down a program to follow. I feel like I am not getting the attention I need from them.

I go to the gym 5 days a week and walk 2 - 3 miles a day. I am eating well but occasionally fall into my old ways but not for long. I didnt have this surgery for nothing and dont know where to turn. I feel like my doctor has so many patients that the service he provides is taking a back seat to getting the patiens in and out the door.

Help me please before I just give up and throw in the towel and add to the statistics of failure.

Are you keeping a journal of everything you eat? every day??? every bite???

This is not rocket science, you have to take in less calories than you burn during the day to lose. It may take writing everything down and being extremely honest with yourself about these habits.

If after you do that and you still are not losing, I would make sure to have my hormones, thyroid etc...checked because it may be something medically that is keeping you from losing weight.

If you need a good place to keep the journal, try fitday.com they help you track your food and your activity levels all for free.

I am right along with you skubachick4!! I am totally depressed and feel like this is a $8000 diet failure, another one for the list. I am doing everything I am suppose to be, writing down what I eat, 1200 calories a day, working out 3-4 times a week, now taking protein bullets and vitamins. But I am not losing anything, pounds or inches.

Get a fill. If you have true restriction there will be many foods you can't tolerate at all and those you can will only be a few bites at a time. The fact that you are having very little trouble eating most things means you are not feeling the ability of the band working for you.

Get a fill. If you have true restriction there will be many foods you can't tolerate at all and those you can will only be a few bites at a time. The fact that you are having very little trouble eating most things means you are not feeling the ability of the band working for you.

As painful as this sounds, you may need to count your calories for a bit. I was having trouble losing( currently on pre-op diet) and when I took a good look at what I was eating and actually MEASURED the correct serving size and I found that my measurement was VERY off and that I was actually eating or drinking about 500 calories more a day than I thought I was. As soon as I corrected this and watched the cals done to tee, also more protein and tons of water, gave up diet soda, all this helped the weight loss start to happen. Also, don't do the exact same exercise evertime. If you are just walking and walking and walking, your body will get used to this. You need to come up with a small variety of workout options. A video, ellipitical, or whatever. And then trade off between these. If have to be tricking your body a little here and there. Also, the more muscle you have, the more fat you will burn. Do a little strength training. Not that you need to be a body builder. But adding a little extra muscle wil help your body burn the fat.

Jessica

You are lying to yourself/If you are eating & exercising like you say you are,then you would be losing weight.You are misadding what you are eating or something because you would be losing with what you say.

I've hit to plateaus in my 10 weeks of banding & i just had to suck it up,eat less,drink more water & be hard on myself.

WoW! A little rough aren't we?

Maybe you need to see your family Dr for some blood work to make sure ecerythings ok

I'm just tired of coming here reading this crap.You guys have ran off most of the successful banders with this constant whining.This was a good place for info.Now it's a pity party.

I second that emt stacey. bandcheaters is being a little rough. easy there killer. sensitivty is necessary when people are vulnerable.

Welcome back Cedar...

I do enjoy it when you mix it up a bit on here and I must say I have to 2nd your sentiments. The last few days this board has been depressing with all the whining and people ready to give up before they have barely begun the fight.

Goes to show that getting banded is not something you should just jump into, but something you should consider and think about seriously to see if you have the committment to really do it.

The key, take a good hard look at yourself and your eating and exercise behavior and if you are truly doing all you say you are doing, then you should go see a doctor and get checked for medical reasons why you aren't losing.

This is not rocket science. Less calories consumed than burned = weight loss. Plain and simple. Of course there are smarter ways to do it, like drinking plenty of water and eating high protein, low carb.

Everyone is so PC and sympathetic...drives me crazy at times.

You are lying to yourself/If you are eating & exercising like you say you are,then you would be losing weight.You are misadding what you are eating or something because you would be losing with what you say.

I've hit to plateaus in my 10 weeks of banding & i just had to suck it up,eat less,drink more water & be hard on myself.

Are you military?

I guess I should have stated in the original post that I DO have thyroid problems and also have PCOS I have been on medication for both for years. Many years ago I was also diagnosed with Hashimoto disease (Do a google if you dont know what it is). I have struggled with loosing for at least 15 years.

I have visited with my nutritionist weekly for months and have altered my eating, more one week, less another, writing everything..and I mean everythign down. They have completely taken me off protein shakes, which I think is strange.

All I wanted was someone out there to offer somethign different, or something that may have worked for them. I am not givin up. I didnt enjoy getting cut on for fun. I am not looking for pity. I am glad some of you feel you are so perfect that everything works for you.

If you are so perfect you wouldn't need this board to make others feel bad. It is obvious to me that you have been put down so long because of your weight and failures that now you feel you can put others down because of theirs. Shame on you. You had bad days too and should be supportive of those who still have bad times. If you cant allow this without the verbal abuse, then you should seek therapy. For example, "Trivializing can also be a form of verbal abuse. It is an attempt to take something that is said or done and make it insignificant." I dont believe any comment on this board is trivial.

Hi,

You sound just like me. My story: I was banded on April 2, 2008 in TJ. Lost no weight before surgery and to date have lost about 14 lbs. I gain a few and then lose a few and basically stay the same. I was filled locally under floroscopy with .05 ccs in June. Didn't work at all, they didn't re-charge me and filled me again in the office (no floroscopy). That didn't work. I was again filled with .02cc in mid July and nothing! Went back and asked for a floroscopy and doctor readily agreed. At that point, he noticed my esphogaus, above the band, was really swollen. So the band isn't working - yet I am able to eat even with the swelling!!!! He asked me to go onto three days of liquids and more if I can take it. I am schedule for another floroscopy in two weeks and if the swelling hasn't gone done, I will again have to do liquids. Funny thing is, I haven't lost an ounce on liquids and my appetite (no fill) is getting ravenous at times. I am so discouraged, I am thinking of taking the band out. I suffer from getting food stuck, more often than I like, but the doctor said that is due to the swelling apparently and not my fault. Why the swelling, nobody has answered that question - why if I am having such a hard time eating am I not losing weight. Apparently food is going down. I'm no help I know, actually I am looking for help.

I want to say hang in there, but I know you feel.

With sincere best wishes for success.

Helen

Hi

I am actually replying to all of you who have so rudely just accepted that those of us who are having trouble are doing something wrong and whining besides. I have done everything right, including exercising for 1 hour a day on the treadmill (3.8-4 miles an hour) 6 days a week, and I am 65 years young. I also lift weights 3 times a week. I follow a good diet besides. My doctor is in total agreement with my frustration, and I want you to know I take exception to those of you who are so cold. This is a forum for lots of things: one of them being compassion and advice. Shame on you bandsters who have forgotten that and are cruising along smoothly and forgot what it was like before - well it is still the same for some of us and we are working just as hard as you; perhaps harder than some.

Helen

Hey, I responded to your concerns a few days ago on this thread and then saw some negative remarks posted to you. It made me think about my own response to you and I went back a re-read it. I hope that my response did not seem rude or unsupportive. I just wanted to make sure and apologize if I came across that way. I did read those other posts and I am also sorry for those responses as well. We are here to support each other and you don't deserve to be treated that way. I am sorry if I sound stupid. I just became concerned about my own post after reading those really negative one's. I have had the same struggles with weight loss in my pre-op phase and have really appreciated the support of this group. I don't think it's whining at all to post your real concerns and struggles that we all face. Best of wishes.

Jessica

I finally got to read this posting and was sad to see the "Negative Nelly's" are back again! I do believe that you are doing all that you say you are doing, some people unfortunately have a more difficult time to lose than others.....I happen to be one that when I get stuck, I am stuck for a long time at the same weight. Just keep on doing the "right" things and something has got to give eventually. Age, body type, metabolism, all play a role and we are not all the same so we cannot all lose weight at the same rate as everyone else. Just hang in there and keep plugging away at what you are doing. If nothing else the exercise will help with the metabolism and in time will help you lose some of the weight. It may not show on the scale, but can show on your body mass.

information can be found by googling... support and encouragement and help is what a forum is all about =D>

if things were so cut and dry as "it's not rocket science" (which is a very demeaning statement to make, by the way - why don't you just call us stupid), we'd all have simply started burning more calories than we take in and not have ever needed to get banded ;) , including the ones who made that statement!

i hope that you (original poster) will be able to sift through the replies here and find some great advice and some encouragement - even if it is just enough to get you through another day :D