Band erosion

I had my band placed one year ago. The past two months I have been fighting an infection at my port site. The doctor here seems to think that I am experiencing a band erosion even though I don't have any of the symptoms such as nausea, pain or heartburn. Has anyone else experienced band erosion? I am scheduled for an endoscopy on Nov. 18 at which point my band could possibly be removed or, the best of the scenario, the port could be removed and relocated. Any suggestions? :(:(

I do not want to alarm you..but many people have zero symptoms from erosion. I know 3 woman from my other support group who had erosion and had no signs, warnings or symptoms. I have also have a friend who had a port infection , all they did was remove the port. let her heal and she is waiting to have a new port placed on the other side. She has had all the tests to see if there was erosion but she has no erosion, yes an infection at the port site is one external sign or erosion. But internally most I have spoken with had no symptoms of erosion. Hopefully it is just a port infection. Who is your Doctor if I may ask? I'm curious becasue I have seen a pattern with a certain Dr having more erosion cases then others all 4 of the women I mentioned above have all had the same surgeon You can PM me if you do not want to put your Dr's name here out in the open. I will keep you in my prayers. I hope it is just a port infection and your band is OK..Good Luck to you ~

• 1 month later...

I was wondering how the endoscopy turned out?? I have a really bad infection at my port site and am going to see Dr. Martinez in TJ on Jan. 20th for pre ops and on the 21st for probable "port removal." Last July, he moved my port from one side to the other as I had the same symptoms. I had a bad infection. Another doc told me that the port should have been removed at that time and not placed back in my body..... that's what caused this new infection. He also said that the band itself is more than likely infected, if the port is infected.

I am now concerned that he might have to remove the band. That would be devastating to me as I still have 35 pounds to go to my goal. Anyone else with this problem????

Susie in Hawaii

200/167 and praying

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I am scheduled to go to TJ on Wednesday and have pre op tests on Thursday and surgery on Friday. I am a nervous nellie to say the least. I have been on Cipro for a port infection for 3 wks now and my port site seems totally normal again, except for some redness..... I pray that I don't lose my band. I am trying to find the gal who had her port removed. Did she ever get it back??? How is she doing??

Wish me Luck and Pray!!

Susie from Hawaii

toll free: 877-637-1836

196/160/125 someday, I hope

Good Luck Susie

I hope everything goes well for you this week. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

I do have a friend who lost her port to an infection and just had a new one replaced last week on the same side but in a much lower position. She had it removed in June buth ad to let things heal before she could get a new one. They gave her a nice fill also before they removed her port..so ask Dr. Martinez about that. See if he can give you a fill before removing the port. Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm the one that had 2 ports removed already. I did not want to join this board because I spend way too much time on my other board already. But I just joined only because some friends told me about your port infection. I'll be happy to share some helpful information - to me, port removal is much better news than erosion, so write me if you want at delarla@juno.com.

Now I gotta un-subscribe to this board because I can't clean my house while sitting on my butt in front of this puter!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, I had my port removed. No sign of band erosion. The endoscopy was performed at another clinic in TJ by a very experienced doctor. I didn't feel a thing and had no pain afterwards. They even gave me pictures of my insides and a CD of the entire prodedure.

I have been feeling so much better since having it removed. They also removed the tubing and replaced it with fresh new tubing to the band. They tested the tissue and tubing for infection and all was normal. Dr. Martinez said that they took out a golfball size amount of tissue with the port. It had turned upside down somehow. When I was getting my fill before the surgery, the needle bent.

Anyway, he guessed the amount to fill and filled the band on the operating table. His guess was right on!! I have perfect restriction and will get a new port this Fall.

Take care all!! Gotta get back to work.

SusieB

200/165/125