I wonder how many of us are 50+? There are some aging challenges that we begin to face that our younger members don't have.

I am 54. challenge - medications that impact weight loss

I wonder how many of us are 50+? There are some aging challenges that we begin to face that our younger members don't have.

I am 54. challenge - medications that impact weight loss

Paula!!!! It's me, Hanna! How are you?

I know what you mean... I'm 45... going on 46 here soon and I tell you, I want to put on some skinny jeans and they just don't look right when you've got a flabby tire around your belly. I haven't specifically done the exercises just for stomachs but I will be. Okay the challenge for me is flabby skin!

Hi Paula, I am 54 and will be 55 in a couple of months. Geeez where did the years go?

PariegirlBarb is almost 55........NO WAY. In your pic you look like about a 25 yo. I truly always have thought of you when seeing your pic as this beautiful young lady, and you ARE!!!

Now for me at 46+ yes it sucks being this age. I too take meds that don't allow me to lose the weight like I would want to. Too many meds to count, not just 1 either. I also am riddled with pain and barely make it to work and home, not much ability to do exercise when I am in tears from pain and fatigue. So my #1 challenge is being able to get exercise into my program as a middle aged woman...I had to type that but when I did I HATE the sound of it. I still feel like I am about maybe 28 in my head, perhaps 30 if you want to push it:)

PariegirlBarb is almost 55........NO WAY. In your pic you look like about a 25 yo. I truly always have thought of you when seeing your pic as this beautiful young lady, and you ARE!!!

Now for me at 46+ yes it sucks being this age. I too take meds that don't allow me to lose the weight like I would want to. Too many meds to count, not just 1 either. I also am riddled with pain and barely make it to work and home, not much ability to do exercise when I am in tears from pain and fatigue. So my #1 challenge is being able to get exercise into my program as a middle aged woman...I had to type that but when I did I HATE the sound of it. I still feel like I am about maybe 28 in my head, perhaps 30 if you want to push it:)

Thank you Julie, I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling, but happy to hear that you keep working at getting better. Are you a nurse? I don't think any of us see ourselves as out true age. Is that a bad thing? Better than the other way around.

I don't know if this will help you, but a freind that knew I suffered form fibromyalgia (brain fog and migrains have stpped since being banded) gave me a work out tape:

Priscilla is an older instructor that has been around for years, she is on public tv weedkays around 6 am and her tape "STRENGTHENING STRETCHES: For Fibromyalgia nd Chronic Muscle Pain" The tape is two 15 minute sections. It is gentle and will release stored energy for you to use. It unlocks some of the resistance we feel in our bodies that make us feel old.

The tape is one of lots that I have but this one I keep going back to. I have always been an exercise guru, I am a certified (outdated) exercise instructor and owned a womens fitness for three years. Like diets that I go on and off of, I do that with exercise too. The picture is 6 years old, I will post a newer one, I don't look too much different, just heavier by 15 pounds. I took a picture of myself for MaMaMichelles web site just yesterday to see how I'll look thinner. If you want to see the before and after picture, here is the address.

http://www.weightview.com/new/resultsshown...bbingStarchy414

I just turned 63, not having problems with meds. I do take an anti inflammatory daily as well as thyroid and BP pills. But, I'm not complaining as the weight is coming off. I find I do feel better, not as many aches and pains since I started losing.....still have a few knee and foot issues.

That truly is one of my biggest concerns with my banding coming up in 2 weeks and 2 days. I am 56 and have a lot of health issues. I have diabetes, Graves disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia and sleep apnea. I take literally a handful of medication every day and I have so much body pain most every day that I can't exercise more than a few minutes before I am in just horrible pain and then the next 3 days I am almost bedridden because of the pain from the exercise. However, I do know that almost all of my problems are weight related and I am really counting on the band assisting me in being able to get a handle on all of this so that I don't have to take so many medications. And, my hope is that once I get some weight off, I will be able to stand the exercise more and start the cycle of weight loss instead of weight gain.

These past few years, the weight has just flown onto me and although I blame my eating habits completely, I also know that I used to be able to eat this way when I was younger and not gain...so...you younger gals are so lucky and smart to be able to be banded at your young ages so that you can enjoy life more in your later years. :D

And now I'll say

OMG Vix is 56!!! NO WAY. You too look 20 something.

I certainly understand how you feel Vix. It's so frustrating to say the least when our bodies deceive us in ways. I do agree wholeheartedly that getting the weight off should/could/will help somethings, it already has. I am almost off my diabetes medication completely!! As far as the fibromyalgia though I wonder if it will be nay better. I can only pray. I do know some extremely thin women that have the fibro also and have never been heavy a day in their life so I'm just so curious. I do try to be positive to the "world"out there as well as most of the time to keep my brain in the positive mode. I let my guard down a little here and I do sound negative at times, but I feel that way and once and awhile I just need to say it.

On a good note, I stepped on the scale today and it down again. I've focused entirely on getting enough protein in each day for about 5 days now and it is working to help me lose, YEAH!!

Julie...you are too kind! ;) I might LOOK young, but I feel about 100!!! Seriously...today has been a bad day with a lot of body pain and I had to think for a minute what I will do when I have this type of pain after my banding since now I eat to "console myself," which is absolutely ridiculous! To be honest I don't think the fibromyalgia will go away, but I know it won't be half as bad if I can get rid of one or two of the other co-morbidities! ;)

Hi I am 50, was on numerous medications for...

High blood pressure 2 different kinds of med for that, asthma 4 different kinds, Diabetes on 150 -175 units daily of insulin, allergies 1 type for that. They gave me meds to protect the kidneys and liver. What more can I say I was a walking talking breathing pharmacy. I can actually say now the Dr's have removed me from all meds. With the weight loss and exercise and am feeling so much better. But, I still have the challenge of loosing weight, with my addiction to food. This will take time.