I think I finally understand what the band will do for me. It's like an insurance policy. I will always have to count my calories and exercise... but when I feel like giving up and eating everything in sight, it's physically impossible. So instead of gaining 5 pounds and sabatoging my efforts so far, the band is my insurance policy and I'll only be able to do so much damage.... like staying the same weight or maybe gaining 1 pound. So I think instead of the up and down I'll start to see more of a down or steady weight. Then when I'm mentally ready again to get back in the game I haven't lost too much ground.

I hope this makes sense! It finally makes sense to me!!! Everybody always posts it's a "tool" and that didn't mean much to me, but thinking of it as an insurance policy seems to help me understand.

Anyway, just wanted to share my "aha" moment. :D

I think I finally understand what the band will do for me. It's like an insurance policy. I will always have to count my calories and exercise... but when I feel like giving up and eating everything in sight, it's physically impossible. So instead of gaining 5 pounds and sabatoging my efforts so far, the band is my insurance policy and I'll only be able to do so much damage.... like staying the same weight or maybe gaining 1 pound. So I think instead of the up and down I'll start to see more of a down or steady weight. Then when I'm mentally ready again to get back in the game I haven't lost too much ground.

I hope this makes sense! It finally makes sense to me!!! Everybody always posts it's a "tool" and that didn't mean much to me, but thinking of it as an insurance policy seems to help me understand.

Anyway, just wanted to share my "aha" moment. :D

So glad to see you post Yorkiemommy. Yes it has taken me awhile to "get"this thing too. I think as of about 4-5 days now I am doing as I should. Yes my loss is slow but as you said it hasn't gone up and it's creeping down. Yes an insurance policy for sure. I have stopped just shoving things into my mouth without chewing and not caring what it is, especially at work when I have no time to eat or even take a sip of water. I am planning each day's entire food for the day and that also helps. No more ice cream in the house....that's a biggie that took me this long to conquer. I'm glad we are on the trip together...it will be well worth the ride. :lb4:

You are absolutely right Yorkiemommy. I too see it that way although I didn't have those exact words in my head. I have always known the band would keep me from blowing my diet then feeling bad about it and continuing the downward (upward on the scale) spiral. thank God for Dr. Ortiz! I didn't have to wait until the downward spiral brought me to a bmi of 40, and it surely would have.