I'm hungry

teriwest

Hello All,

It has been 15 days since my surgery and I am dying to eat food and chew it. I have been pretty loyal to the liquid diet, but have had a bite of food two or three times. Somebody remind me, what's wrong with eating something soft right now like mashed potatos or cottage cheese?

Thanks for the support!

Teri

Hello All,

It has been 15 days since my surgery and I am dying to eat food and chew it. I have been pretty loyal to the liquid diet, but have had a bite of food two or three times. Somebody remind me, what's wrong with eating something soft right now like mashed potatos or cottage cheese?

Thanks for the support!

Teri

Hi Teri,

I just had surgery on July 21st. I know it's hard but this 21 day liquid phase is pretty important. I was just reading Dr. Ortiz's book last night and if I remember eating something soft can cause your band to slip. It seems that your stomach can be inflamed for a few weeks following the band being placed and since it's a little like an hourglass the food can push the band down since it is not quite yet "healed into place". I know it seems harmless, but the way he described it in the book, the fallout from eating too soon didn't sound even close to being worth the risk. I know it seems like forever, but your day will come, I promise. My real food day was yesterday and I'm terrified to eat real food, weird, I know.

I was sooooo sick of juice by the 6th day I was just cranky all day. What I found tremendously yummy and cured the crankies was fudgsicles. Oh, what sweet, choclatey goodness!! And at 60 cals per pop I went thru more than a couple of boxes!! By the time they're "chewed" they are liquid...that's what got me through!! Even now it's become my nightly ritual...it's replaced all the oh so good, but oh sooo bad goodies I use to eat.

I wish you strength, and I'm pulling for you.

Take Care!!

Guest CaraMBA09
Hi Teri,

I just had surgery on July 21st. I know it's hard but this 21 day liquid phase is pretty important. I was just reading Dr. Ortiz's book last night and if I remember eating something soft can cause your band to slip. It seems that your stomach can be inflamed for a few weeks following the band being placed and since it's a little like an hourglass the food can push the band down since it is not quite yet "healed into place". I know it seems harmless, but the way he described it in the book, the fallout from eating too soon didn't sound even close to being worth the risk. I know it seems like forever, but your day will come, I promise. My real food day was yesterday and I'm terrified to eat real food, weird, I know.

I was sooooo sick of juice by the 6th day I was just cranky all day. What I found tremendously yummy and cured the crankies was fudgsicles. Oh, what sweet, choclatey goodness!! And at 60 cals per pop I went thru more than a couple of boxes!! By the time they're "chewed" they are liquid...that's what got me through!! Even now it's become my nightly ritual...it's replaced all the oh so good, but oh sooo bad goodies I use to eat.

I wish you strength, and I'm pulling for you.

Take Care!!

Thanks for the tip Michelle

Hi,

I am struggling with you!! I was banded on Aug. 1. And it is getting harder everyday. I am trying so hard to stick to it. I end up not eating all day, but once I start I am ravenous. And I am so low on energy. I have a 210 calorie shake & 80 calorie DanActive yogurt for breakfast. Then some sort of broth depending on what they serve in our cafeteria. So far that as been pretty brainless for me. I like easy. But when I get home, I am in trouble. I take about 4 pill in am & pm. To get those to stay down, I feel like have to eat something. I have gummed so canned pasta just praying it will be ok. But if I don't my stomach burns so bad I think I am gonna puke.... For the first week Mylanta worked to keep this at bay. But the past few days have been hell on my tummy.

I hate to grip and complain....... I know everyone has trials and tribulations. I get a little freaked out that the medicine is going to hurt my band or mushing the pasta. It was really,really mushy pasta...... scary. I have talked to Dr. Miranda about this pain after taking my medicine, but we really have not come up with a good fix.

Anyway, I will keep looking on the forum for the tricks to keep going........... It has really helped me through the hurdles so far.

We can do this!!!! I know we can.

Hi,

I am struggling with you!! I was banded on Aug. 1. And it is getting harder everyday. I am trying so hard to stick to it. I end up not eating all day, but once I start I am ravenous. And I am so low on energy. I have a 210 calorie shake & 80 calorie DanActive yogurt for breakfast. Then some sort of broth depending on what they serve in our cafeteria. So far that as been pretty brainless for me. I like easy. But when I get home, I am in trouble. I take about 4 pill in am & pm. To get those to stay down, I feel like have to eat something. I have gummed so canned pasta just praying it will be ok. But if I don't my stomach burns so bad I think I am gonna puke.... For the first week Mylanta worked to keep this at bay. But the past few days have been hell on my tummy.

I hate to grip and complain....... I know everyone has trials and tribulations. I get a little freaked out that the medicine is going to hurt my band or mushing the pasta. It was really,really mushy pasta...... scary. I have talked to Dr. Miranda about this pain after taking my medicine, but we really have not come up with a good fix.

Anyway, I will keep looking on the forum for the tricks to keep going........... It has really helped me through the hurdles so far.

We can do this!!!! I know we can.

The liquid phase really sucks. I am sorry you have the trouble with the medicine. What about taking them after you eat some drinkable yogurt, like as much as you can swallow to coat your stomach. I also can think of milk, any typr or protein drink, or even get some special creamy soup that you love and have some of it first. Yes this is a tough one and maybe you have already tried these things and others but you must go to the store and find something that will work. Take the extra time to do this today so you won't be tempted to "cheat your band". This first 3 weeks really is defining times.

Hope this helps or you'll get other tips here to help.

and to all of you on liquids right now

:lb4: this ride has only just begun!!

Hang in there, it will all be worth it. My salvation has been the whey powder protein shakes. I haven't felt weak since the first week because Dr. Miranda said I could add those. That's pretty amazing to me since I have 4 kids and a very active schedule. I heard Dr. Ortiz say that if you cheat the band in the healing phase you may not feel anything at the time but 6 months down the road you will struggle with restriction because your pouch had been stretched. It can only be repaired surgically. That scared me straight.

Also I found the special K20 water that has protein and 5 grams of fiber in it! Really helps with the hunger and the constipation. Only 50 calories. I love it!

:lb11:

Hello All,

Thanks for the support!

Teri

I had surgery on 7/31 and I can't wait until this last week is over!!! I just try a varity of soups and from different brands (although I almost always end up with Brocoli and Cheese) I also do the fudgesicles and the ice pops. I really have a hard time at night, when I get home from work, and have to make something for the kids, but I know this will be over soon. Nobody said it was going to be easy.

The last week of my 21 day liquid diet was very hard, it wasn't that I was super hungry, I was just sick and tired of nother but liquids.

I bought creamy lowfat yogurts and threw then in the freezer. That really helped, because you get to chew and it's okay because by the time your ready to swallow, it's a "creamy liquid".

Also, and this I highly recommend - I mean I so recommend this, that I would tell anybody contemplating this surgery that a 'must have' is a sno-cone machine!

I'm eight weeks post op and I still use mine every day - it's my desert. I use either light orange juice (which helps with going to the bathroom!) or Target and Walmart both have sugar free syrups.

Good luck, stay true to your band - you won't regret it!

• 3 weeks later...
Hang in there, it will all be worth it. My salvation has been the whey powder protein shakes. I haven't felt weak since the first week because Dr. Miranda said I could add those. That's pretty amazing to me since I have 4 kids and a very active schedule. I heard Dr. Ortiz say that if you cheat the band in the healing phase you may not feel anything at the time but 6 months down the road you will struggle with restriction because your pouch had been stretched. It can only be repaired surgically. That scared me straight.

Also I found the special K20 water that has protein and 5 grams of fiber in it! Really helps with the hunger and the constipation. Only 50 calories. I love it!

:lb11:

Ditto on the K20 water - I had one today and I LOVED it! I really didn't think I would like it that much but it is really great! And it did help curb my appetite. Was a great snack.