Where did the mushy food go?

ackovach

Hi all,

I was banded on 8/1. On my postop diet I am not allowed any mushy food or real food for 21 days. If I can't drink it, don't put in my mouth for 21 days. With the exception of medications. I have heard other bandees talk of the 1 week of mushy food. What week was that? Just wondering why it changed or did it change. Am i just confused.

Hi all,

I was banded on 8/1. On my postop diet I am not allowed any mushy food or real food for 21 days. If I can't drink it, don't put in my mouth for 21 days. With the exception of medications. I have heard other bandees talk of the 1 week of mushy food. What week was that? Just wondering why it changed or did it change. Am i just confused.

Perhaps people who have banded other than at the OCC have a mushy food stage. I know Kittycat did and she talked about it on the forum. Different doctors have different post-op diets to follow. I do believe Dr. O is the King of the lapband so I would stick to his recommendations. Yes I will admit I was one who dared to take a few bites of something "mushy" during the liquid phase. I have learned more since then and truly regret I swayed. If you have to chew something up and then SPIT IT OUT!! I also did this. The risk of damage to the band in the first 3 weeks is huge. You will not know early immediatley or even in the next weeks or months ahead if you have caused a problem. The band is "settling" into place and anything can cause it to move except liquids. You will not have probs until you start eating more real food and perhaps 4,6 or even 12 months later you start having the trouble because the band has slipped. It's like the food in the first 3 weeks just starts to loosen a lid on a container that you can't get open. You keep trying to open it using various things. you finally hand it to your husband and whalah....he opens it with no problem... That sometimes can be because you have loosened it for him. Now perhaps not either but you get my drift?

I urge you and anyone else reading this that on the liquid phase you stay true. It's not worth the weeks, months or even years of worry because you will never know if you have a problem if you indeed caused it in the first 3 weeks.

oh.... thanks KittyCat...... I have seen other folks talk about mushy stage too who banded by Dr. Ortiz over a year ago. I think he must have removed the mushy week from his plan. I have a friend that was banded by him and swears there is a mushy week in the 21 days. Any how..... 21 days of liquids for me!!!

I was banded in May and by Dr Ortiz, he did say that he used to (I dont know how long ago) allow mushy foods but found that is better for the band not to have them within the first 30 days. He also said that all Dr's do it differently with the whole liquids vs non-liquids in the first 30 days but it's better to be saft than sorry. Doing the liquid thing kindof helped me to get off my food addiction and I wasnt hungry those first 3 weeks, just drink a ton of liquids with slow sips and take Chromium Picolinat 400mg (bought at Walmart) at lunch, make sure to crush it and any other meds.

I was banded in May and by Dr Ortiz, he did say that he used to (I dont know how long ago) allow mushy foods but found that is better for the band not to have them within the first 30 days. He also said that all Dr's do it differently with the whole liquids vs non-liquids in the first 30 days but it's better to be saft than sorry. Doing the liquid thing kindof helped me to get off my food addiction and I wasnt hungry those first 3 weeks, just drink a ton of liquids with slow sips and take Chromium Picolinat 400mg (bought at Walmart) at lunch, make sure to crush it and any other meds.

Good for you Stefany, congrats!!!