A question about gas

I have been reading a lot that the gas is the most uncomfortable part of the surgery and am wondering the mechanics of it and hope someone can give me a good answer.

If the abdomen is blown up with air during the surgery, and this air that remains in the abdomen for a few days is what causes the pain (specifically I hear people talk about shoulder pain), then I am wondering how the medicine that people take for the gas (GasX, Tums, etc) can help? If you chew a tablet or let one dissolve on your tongue, that would go into your stomach and through your digestive system and not throughout your abdomen where the gas is.

Is this correct or am I missing something? I remember gas after my C-sections and this was the most God-awful thing I've ever experienced!

I'm just curious and want to prepare myself and not talk myself into something that isn't really going to help...;)

Hi Vix,

I don't know the science of it, but I found the Gax X to be a big help. I did have shoulder pain for about a week. It was worst the first day or two. Walking really helps with the gas pain, imho.

I have some gas tonight, feel like I need to burp, but I drank my liquids too fast at dinner. I knew I was doing it, but for some reason, didn't stop. Tomorrow I start solids and I know going slow is going to be a challenge for me!