just banded

richardsbaby

Just banded on Friday did ok in TJ but the airport was a nightmare We had chicken broth from chicken noodle soup really thick though more like full liquids hoprfully now that home back to clear liquids Hope no damage done and now just drinking alot Is it okay to use straws

They suggest to not use straws, especially in the beginning. The theory is that you suck in more air using a straw and then it only produces yet more internal gas. What gets on the inside must come out, one way or another :stinker:

I encourage you to stay on the clear liquids and you will be fine, you get drinkable yogurt soon too!!! I remember how at first I thought , wow big deal, but in reality it is a huge deal and I so looked forward to it. Get a good brand and it tastes yummy!!

We travelled back yesterday, I don't think they remembered to add water to that chicken noodle soup. It was like eating the concentrate directly from the can. (not that I've ever done that...recently)

I struggled through but figured we should have got two cups split the soup and added water ourselves.

The soup at Salt lake Airport was just as thick. I ended up drinking juice.

Hopefully, I haven't done too much damage and can get back on track with just broth today and tomorrow.

Anyway, I think people flying back after surgery need to carry their own food, airports do not appear to be 'clear' friendly.

Anyway, I think people flying back after surgery need to carry their own food, airports do not appear to be 'clear' friendly.

One of my suggestions for all who must fly to the OCC is to carry your own bouillon in one form or another. All you need then is hot water and you can get that on the plane also. I also suggest the special K protein water packets for your cold water bottles.

Hey! Yeah, I don't recommend using a straw in the first 2 weeks after the surgery. At least for me, the gas was just painful, and I didn't want to do anything to make it worse.....

Airports are, indeed, a hard place to find ANYTHING liquid without chunks of stuff in it. I ended up getting some hot coffee from Starbucks for the plane - warm liquids are much more soothing and satisfying, in my opinion!

One more tip (even if you don't have gas or air built up in your stomach) - take a probiotic or get some drinkable yogurt that has it in it. This helped me TREMENDOUSLY after my surgery. It just helps regulate stomach issues, gas, diahherea (sp?), etc.

Good luck! =D>

• 2 weeks later...

We left TJ a day early and spent a night in San Diego. I made a point to find a Trader Joe's Supermarket. If you don't have one near you (closest to me is in Seattle, I'm in Alberta) try and stop by on your wayto the Airport (there is one on PCH) and get thier liquid broth concentrates. I got teriyaki vegatable, Beef and Chicken, They are all excellent, mix instantly in hot water from an everpresent Starbucks and are the size of a splenda packet. I also got the instant Miso soup that I ran through a loose leaf tea strainer into my cup to keep the bits of tofu out. I lived on these 4 staples for the first week. Now I am having the Campbells Gardenay soups through a strainer or my blender.

One of my suggestions for all who must fly to the OCC is to carry your own bouillon in one form or another. All you need then is hot water and you can get that on the plane also. I also suggest the special K protein water packets for your cold water bottles.

Can you send me the list of things you think I should take with me again, I can't find it.